UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2013, 9:49 pm   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: RS introduces delivery charge

I totally agree, Kevin.

I made a Farnell order the other day from my work computer (8 years old, mobile broadband) and it took 30s or so for every single page to update when new parameters were selected. So choosing a handful of capacitors took over half an hour, whereas with a paper catalogue, it would have been about 10 minutes.

Nick.
Old 17th Jan 2013, 11:46 pm   #22
Radio Wrangler

I've got a fast machine and a fibre-optic connection at work and both sites are glacially slow. As Kevin says, it's all the bloated stuff trying to flog you things you don't want, but it seems to be killing their servers.

It seems silly to impede customers in buying the things they certainly want, in the hope of a far smaller probability of them buying something extra.

David
Old 18th Jan 2013, 4:48 pm   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

You can't expect suppliers to cover free delivery in 2013. Postage is incredibly high these days and with profits squeezed to the minimum the postage, particularly with small orders must surely be more than the profit.
It's great that Farnell can cover these costs at present but I fear it may have to end some time in the future. Times are very difficult and can only get worse. John.
Old 18th Jan 2013, 6:33 pm   #24
LXSTEIN45
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I totally agree, Kevin.

I made a Farnell order the other day from my work computer (8 years old, mobile broadband) and it took 30s or so for every single page to update when new parameters were selected. So choosing a handful of capacitors took over half an hour, whereas with a paper catalogue, it would have been about 10 minutes.

Nick.
Mouser have sent me two paper catalogues in the last two years but it is ironic that their ordering system efficient enough, still not as quick as the old fashioned method though!
Amazing also that you can watch your order ship through the states, to Paris then the UK where detailed tracking and weekend shipments stop but generally an order takes 3 days to arrive
Old 19th Jan 2013, 12:47 am   #25
McMurdo
Dekatron

The point I was trying to make earlier is that the higher cost of both RS and Farnell components was originally meant to ensure 'free' postage. They subsidised postage through the higher margin. If you look at an established supplier who has always charged carriage (for example Rapid, Anglia, CPC) then you see the same components at vastly less cost...one would assume their 'proper' wholesale price.
Old 19th Jan 2013, 2:15 am   #26
Damo666
Hexode

I'm slightly OT here, but when did RS start selling to Joe public?

I remember having to order from them in the mid 90s via my Mum's place of employment as they were strictly Trade purchase only.

When searching for components via Google, I've often been directed to the RS and Farnell site but have skipped them due to thinking they didn't deal with general public.
Old 19th Jan 2013, 9:18 am   #27
Radio Wrangler

Farnell happily deal with joe public, there's a minimum order value and you pay postage.
RS, as far as I know, still don't.

At all the places I've worked work we had accounts with both, which is pretty usual, but when I want something for personal use, I can just phone Farnell.

I once needed something available from RS only, no-one else I could find had a speaker that shape, and my only TV at home had died. RS were utterly intractable. A lot of years later I was at one of the usual trade shows and a guy on the RS stand spotted my (then) company badge and lit up "We sell a lot of stuff to you..." My reply was "Oh, no you don't"
I explained about my TV problem and that since then I'd always placed orders preferentially with Farnell. He told me that there were no problems with company orders. I told him that their firm had made it personal. It was in my interest for Farnell to survive and RS didn't matter. I think he didn't enjoy the encounter.

Generally the Farnell price was a bit better.

David

Last edited by Radio Wrangler; 19th Jan 2013 at 9:20 am. Reason: fixing tenses
Old 19th Jan 2013, 10:10 am   #28
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo666 View Post
I'm slightly OT here, but when did RS start selling to Joe public?

I remember having to order from them in the mid 90s via my Mum's place of employment as they were strictly Trade purchase only.

When searching for components via Google, I've often been directed to the RS and Farnell site but have skipped them due to thinking they didn't deal with general public.
No sure when they started, but ISTR in the policy changeover period they operated a dual catalogue specifically for use by "the Hoi polloi". I'm guessing the prices were ramped up in this somewhat !
Old 19th Jan 2013, 11:43 am   #29
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Their website still advertises free delivery http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalD...s&file=nextday

David
Old 19th Jan 2013, 1:03 pm   #30
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
Their website still advertises free delivery http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalD...s&file=nextday

David
I ordered £6 worth of capacitors for work (a large multinational company, using the company account) on Thursday, and we were not charged for delivery. We were before Xmas.
Old 19th Jan 2013, 6:11 pm   #31
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post

David
Isn't it that delivery is free for orders over £20?

Here's the blurb form the delivery page of the website:
Please note:

*Free delivery applies to orders of £20 and over (excl. VAT)
Restrictions apply to some areas. Call 08457 201201 and ask one of our customer service agents for availability
Orders must be placed by 8pm Monday to Friday or 4pm Saturday
A £4.95 postage and packing charge will be added for all non account holders
This service is not available for products from our Extended Range

Seems pretty clear to me.

Cheers,
Steve.