UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2017, 10:41 am   #1
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Default B&D Strimmer bearing

I have a B&D GL445C strimmer with a worn bearing which is one of those unlubricated type.

I have the motor out but the drive on the end of the motor shaft seems to be made of monkey metal and I do not see a way of removing it.

Anyone know how it should be done without smashing it?

I have sent for some 8mm bearings to make an attachment for a coil winder. I am hoping these will be the right size.

Thank you,
Trevor
Old 30th Sep 2017, 9:00 pm   #2
robin coleman
Hexode

Default Re: B&D Strimmer bearing

Have you tried warming them up and they should drop out
Regards
Robin
Old 1st Oct 2017, 8:33 am   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

As I read it, you need to get the reel drive dog off the armature shaft. I have never managed it.
I have tried repairing many strimmers, BD and Bosch, and given up every time, they are made not to be repaired.
BD used to offer an exchange service for re-worked items, was very cost effective but may be no more.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 12:56 pm   #4
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I have contacted B&D but they say they cannot deal with the general public. I cannot see how to take the drive dog off the shaft. They used to have an agent in Nottingham and another in Stoke but they are no more. Their policy seems to have changed and most parts are not now available. The way ahead seems to be to buy from China and forget repair.

I have purchased some 8mm bushes to make a wave winding attachment for an AVO coil winder and they may fit the strimmer. I have more strimmers here, all faulty. I would like to get back to repairing radios.

Trevor
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 1:56 pm   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Quote:
I have more strimmers here, all faulty. I would like to get back to repairing radios.
Precisely why I gave up trying to repair them, never had a success and I can fix most things. No satisfaction working on junk items for me.
Sam.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 3:31 pm   #6
ex 2 Base
Heptode

If you are not going to use the gear again, you might be able to careful grind it off, first using an angle grinder then using a Dremmel. When did it, I poked the gear and end of the armature through a piece of rag to keep out any particles getting into the windings then ground away.Once the gear is hot a small screw might prise it off. I have done this in the past without damaging the windings.Ted
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 3:38 pm   #7
Station X

I think the OP wants to remove and reinstall the drive gear intact so he can fit a new bearing to the shaft.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 7:07 pm   #8
mark_in_manc
Octode

Try a google on 'bearing separator'. Two halves of a circle, drop forged (this bit is important - the lip takes a heck of a strain). You clamp them in behind the gear or bearing you want to shift, and it starts to move. Then you pull it off using a two legged puller, pushing on the end of the shaft. Some heat on the gear might help if you can avoid melting anything else.

I got a helical bevel bear off of the hedge trimmer attachment for the cheap 2-stroke multi-tool I was once foolish enough to buy. With some shims behind it, it engages again, despite having partly stripped itself in its original loads-of-backlash-shallow-engagement incarnation.

Yet another half-working thing in my life - oh the joy
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 10:17 pm   #9
Boater Sam
Banned

If this is like most of these cheap brush motors that modern tools are infested with there is no hole in the end of the drive dog to get a puller onto the shaft end.
The drive end completely envelopes the shaft.
And there is little shaft between the drive end and the bearing to get a hold of.
Whilst you are still sane, Trevor, give up now and buy another! Spend the time fixing something nice.
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 11:34 pm   #10
Sideband
Dekatron

Like Sam says, although it may be against our 'save it and fix it' attitude on here, these things are just not worth the time and effort. Your time will be better spent fixing something that can be fixed...life is too short!
Old 4th Oct 2017, 3:05 pm   #11
jamesperrett
Octode

Many years ago I used to work in a shop which took in B&D items to be sent to their service centre. We soon learned that, if we couldn't fix something at the shop, it was unlikely that B&D would fix it either - they would simply send the customer a voucher entitling them to a new one at a very cheap price.
Old 4th Oct 2017, 3:25 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

I think that's been common business practice for some time now, particularly at the small/cheap edges of the market. The cost of manufacture is a fraction of the cost of skilled labour.
Old 4th Oct 2017, 3:28 pm   #13

Moan to B&D direct, their head office is in the attached picture.
OK they are cheap tools but shouldn't break with normal domestic use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	150332  

Old 4th Oct 2017, 3:38 pm   #14
ms660
Dekatron

I used to have an electric strimmer and an electric mower, the cheaper stuff is generally Micky Mouse, I use petrol engine driven strimmer and mower now, much better built.

Good luck with the fix.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread