UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2017, 9:35 am   #1
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

Default Collaro decks.

Hello,

Out of interest, does anyone know of a list of all record player units produced in the UK in the 50s and 60s that utilised Collaro decks of various descriptions (I know that, of course, they were incorporated into radiograms too).

Also, I note from the service info and brochures, that, for example, ferranti supplied the RP1041 with either a Collaro or a Garrard deck? What would have been the perceived differences between the two decks - was there a heirarchy regarding quality, and where would Collaro have been in any such ranking?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 14th Jul 2017, 11:45 am   #2
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Collaro decks.

As far as the Ferranti (Ekco) was concerned it was a supply issue whatever they could get.
Old 14th Jul 2017, 12:34 pm   #3
electrogram
Heptode

In the fifties my father bought an EAR triple-four. He was asked what deck he would like, he said Collaro. I have a sales leaflet for the triple-four which says you could order it with Garrard, Collaro, BSR, or Starr changer. later my father was informed by an 'expert' that Garrards were used by the BBC and were better than Collaros
Old 14th Jul 2017, 2:18 pm   #4
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

"Better" - I wonder in what way?
I am on the lookout for a triple-four but they seem rather hard to come by.
Old 14th Jul 2017, 3:02 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Assuming you mean PORTABLE record players, here's my offering for starters:
EAR, Jonell, Pilot, Regentone (and their variants), Ekco/Ferranti, Ruco, Philco, Ferguson, Murphy and Decca.
These are just off the top of my head and I am sure I will no doubt remember more when this is sent!
Old 14th Jul 2017, 4:26 pm   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

For the majority of portable record players produced in tbe 50's and 60's it would not matter which deck from Collaro, BSR or Garrard were fitted.

Some of the more expensive Hacker type of record players may have gone for Garrard but for the majority with a single Pentode valve amp or even the Triode/Pentode amplifiers it would not have made a lot of difference.

Has a Peter states, it would be whatever they could get at the best price.

Frank
Old 14th Jul 2017, 6:27 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

In terms of hierachy, BSR would be at 2nd place and Garrard and Collaro tied. Even with bulk purchasing, those lovely (but over-engineered) Collaros were marginally more expensive and certainly the heaviest - not alway the best choice for a Portable!
Old 15th Jul 2017, 1:35 pm   #8
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head there. To me, the Collaros always appear to be the most substantial!
Closed Thread