UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2017, 8:43 pm   #1
nomad25
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pye Black Box mark 2 BBH

Hi all. I'm in the process of restoring a Pye Black Box, mark 2 BBH. Two speakers and a UA8 auto changer.
I've done a full re-cap and replaced the volume pot. The on/off Tone pot was replaced when I acquired it. Two of the caps were wrong values.
it sounds great with an iPod connected. The only thing is the output seems quite low, iPod and volume cranked up nearly all the way. Is this because of the impedance of the iPod headphone output or is it likely to be the o/p transformer? I'm aware from reading lots of threads on here that they normally have a broken winding somewhere.
Is it worth getting the transformer re-wound, even if it's just for improved reliability and could anyone please give me some advice on how much this costs and who can do it.
I haven't had a chance to test the amp with a record deck connected yet as I'm still working on it.
Old 14th Jul 2017, 8:49 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye Black Box mark 2 BBH

Hi Nomad, yes the output transformers are not reliable and I've rewound a few in my time.
However, before condemning it do a few checks with a scope to see if it has developed a fault.

Ed
Old 14th Jul 2017, 8:58 pm   #3
nomad25
Retired Dormant Member

Unfortunately I don't have a scope or the know how ��
Old 14th Jul 2017, 9:19 pm   #4
Telegraph-Hill
Triode

Hi Nomad,
from my experience with a couple of conversions I can confirm the Voltage output of Mobile Phones and Ipods is quite low. To get a reasonable output of e.g. 0.77V you need to push up the volume up to max. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Oliver
Old 14th Jul 2017, 9:26 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Does the player have a good enough volume on records but is only low on the ipod?
Old 14th Jul 2017, 11:36 pm   #6
nomad25
Retired Dormant Member

Well I hadn't tried it up until tonight. The wiring in the tone arm was completely shot, dead short on all wires, so after putting a new screened cable in I gave it a go. Surprisingly there's loads of power there! The Manky looking X5M cart sounds like it's still going strong.
I've tried a new Chinese made ECC83 in there, wanted to try the Original Mullard in my little guitar amp to give me a slightly lower pre amp gain, and Wow! Does it sound good in there!
Is it possible that the o/p transformer can partly fail and still function?
Old 15th Jul 2017, 7:35 am   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

Yes. One half of the primary winding can go open-circuit. That then leaves one of the valves doing all the work, and an unbalanced DC in the windings which will cause distortion.

It's easy enough to test the primary winding for continuity, from each anode to the centre tap, with the power off and thevalves cold..
Old 15th Jul 2017, 9:33 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It may not be the OP transformer at all if it's working that well, but more likely a poor input impedence match between the ipod and the input stage of the amplifier.

Can we assume you've bridged the stereo channels from the ipod to create just a single mono input and that you've connected this input to the volume control?
Old 15th Jul 2017, 11:53 am   #9
nomad25
Retired Dormant Member

I'm not too concerned about using an iPod with it now I have the deck working. I just want to be sure that my o/p transformer is working well
Old 15th Jul 2017, 12:40 pm   #10
nomad25
Retired Dormant Member

I have continuity between the primary centre and both anodes, but the readings are quite different. 0.70 one side and 1.01 the other. Does that sound normal?
Old 15th Jul 2017, 5:06 pm   #11
julie_m
Dekatron

Yes, that's not too unusual. The windings nearer the outside of the transformer will need more metres of wire than the inner ones to make the same number of turns, and the DC resistance varies with the length. (The AC reactance varies with turns squared, and dominates the total impedance.) A ratio of 1.4:1 looks a touch high, but it's conceivable with a small transformer.

I'm presuming the meter was on its 2kΩ range for both measurements?
Old 15th Jul 2017, 7:46 pm   #12
PJL
Dekatron

Sounds OK. Each half winding will be the same number of turns but the one will be wound over the other which takes more wire so is higher resistance.
Old 16th Jul 2017, 9:56 am   #13
nomad25
Retired Dormant Member

So all sounds ok then? Maybe mine's not too bad.
Closed Thread