UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2017, 1:52 pm   #1
rajeegajee
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette Major.

Hello Everyone,

I am appealing for help and advice regarding a Dansette Major which was given to me in a deeply sorry state. I have got it all working apart from the BSR turntable itself ( the pick up arm is wired up and is fine ). The other Dansette major which I used to have a few years ago had simpler wiring it seems.
I have two unconnected yellow and black wires from the underside of the t/t. I simply can't work out where these should be soldered, given that the previous Major didn't possess these at all.
You will glean from this that I am not adept in terms of electronics, though I can usually respond well with logical deduction to an extent.
All advice is very welcome on how to get this little tinker fully up and running!
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	146134  
Old 13th Jul 2017, 4:43 pm   #2
regentone001
Heptode

Default Re: Dansette Major.

it looks to me as though those wires go to a rectifier which is surplus to requirements,maybe the deck has been swapped at sometime and that rectifier was used in whatever the deck came from, I would cut the wires off close to the rectifier or even just remove it all together. I imagine that everything works ok other than not knowing what those wires are for.
Steve
Old 13th Jul 2017, 6:07 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Major.

You are very lucky that the cartridge is working well, otherwise....!!!
This looks like an early 1958 model using a BSR UA8 deck. The motor on this should be wired to the "on" side of the double pole switch on the volume control.
If you are not sure how to do this, you can test the motor by connecting it directly to the mains. There should be just 2 wires to the motor there being no 90V tap on these which might have complicated things. If you are still not sure, maybe a Member local to you can have quick look rather than you take any risks.