UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2017, 10:21 am   #1
awc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferguson 393G Record Player - Curious fault

This has been a frustrating repair in a way I expect many of you have experienced yourself, insofar as the restored player worked perfectly on the bench, but started to play up when back in the box.

This player uses two UCL83's in push-pull and the heaters are run in series with the dial bulb and a low voltage motor on the Collaro Challenger deck.

What happened is that after working fine to start with, the sound became occasionally intermittent. I have substituted the cartridge, the cartridge pins, the two valves, tried adjusting the tracking etc all to no avail.

Running a CD player as input also caused the fault to appear.

Curiously, the fault seems to disappear at higher volumes and stranger still, at lower volumes with no signal input, the amp cuts out altogether, to instantly come alive again if the input terminal is touched with a screwdriver. It tends to fade away slowly though with no signal input after between 10 and 50 secs on average.

Repairs included new valves, all caps (except the smoothing-reservoir) the rectifier replaced with a 1N4007 /resistor as usual and the signal lead which had gone stiff and was restricting arm movement.

Any thoughts anyone before I try changing all the resistors as well!

Thanks

Alex
Old 11th Jul 2017, 10:28 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Ferguson 393G Record Player - Curious fault

Have you tried checking voltages when the fault is present? If they're correct it'll enable you to eliminate parts of the circuit as the cause of the problem.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Jul 2017, 10:34 am   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Sounds like a dry soldered joint - probably.
Leave you meter on the anodes of the pentodes and see what happens to the voltage as the fault appears.
If nothing, try the same on the screen grids of the pentodes. If nothing again, try the triode anodes. This should point you in the right direction.
Old 11th Jul 2017, 10:34 am   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

That sounds like a classic case of shorting of a signal wire when fitting the covers.
As long as you are not getting red plating it will most likely be one of the triode sections being driven hard on or off killing the signal.
Look out for coupling capacitors that are standing proud of the chassis when it is out of the cabinet.
Old 11th Jul 2017, 4:01 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Also - be careful to check the condition of the large value capacitor in the feedback loop. This helps determine the bass response, which is excellent on this player. Do note the 6.5" speaker has a twin cone (rare on a portable) and this allows for a sweet treble.
Old 11th Jul 2017, 5:49 pm   #6
peter_sol
Octode

It could be the loudspeaker at fault.
Old 11th Jul 2017, 6:40 pm   #7
Telegraph-Hill
Triode

Had this problems quite often, yes try to connect a different loudspeaker also. Maybe check the output transformer for the speaker especially the connections to the thin wires going to the coils.

Cheers, Oliver
Old 11th Jul 2017, 10:17 pm   #8
awc
Retired Dormant Member

Ah. Here I have to declare that I have replaced the speaker as the original had completely seized up due to rust and is irreparable. The replacement is a more modern 4 ohm 10 watt unit with a silver centre dome and (when the player is performing correctly) sounds great. I didn't mention it as I couldn't see what possible bearing it could have on a fault which appears on the face of it to originate on the input.

Anyway I have taken all the advice on board and will check out the various ideas.

Alex
Old 13th Jul 2017, 5:18 pm   #9
awc
Retired Dormant Member

Well it would seem the problem has been solved and the player is now working nicely.

What was it caused the grief I hear you cry!

I must confess to being responsible for fault No.1, as I discovered on close (very close!) inspection of the cartridge pins that the problem was down to poor soldering on my part. I would explain that the signal wires have been replaced using the earphone cable from a £1 pair of earphones. This is very thin and flexible and works very well without introducing any hum. In the cable there are two fine wires , one is enamelled and the other bare. Although I had scraped off the enamel from the end of the wire, when soldering it to the pin I had succeeded in only soldering the enamelled part leaving the bared end sticking out. What was happening when I was touching the terminal with a screwdriver was that I was briefly making contact. Dohhh

Fault No.2 did transpire to be in the speaker area, though not the speaker itself. Someone in the past had inserted a 1/4in jack changeover socket in the wire from the amp to the speaker to enable an external speaker to be used. I hadn't given this any thought. I decided to use it to connect up my test speaker, which appeared to work fine. When removing it however, the main speaker became crackly and on close examination of the socket I found the contacts were distorted and badly tarnished. Removing it altogether has restored normal operation.

Lessons to be learned eh.

Many thanks to all responders for your help once again

Alex
Old 13th Jul 2017, 5:46 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I'm glad you are back using the orginal speaker, this is a nice unit and will give an extended treble. When working on the amplifier be careful not to stress the PC Board as at 60 years old it can become very brittle. If there is too much bass on some tracks, just lift up the roller top a bit to create about a 1" gap.