UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2013, 3:36 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default "Supply Unit Tester" Info Wanted

Info wanted please on a SUPPLY UNIT TESTER T.M.S. No1 Mk D, exWD going by the "Crow's Foot". Cabinet made out of thick Paxolin sheeting.
Any help or advice most appreciated. Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUPPLY UNIT TESTER TMSNo1 MK D.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	85850  
Old 8th Nov 2013, 7:11 pm   #2
Stockden
Heptode

Default Re: "Supply Unit Tester" Info Wanted

T.M.S. is usually an abbreviation of Transmission Measuring Set so I imagine that this is the power supply for a Transmission Measuring Set No.1 Mk D. Unfortunately I'm not sure that gets you very much further forwards as there doesn't seen to be much about that instrument on the Web. However, if you're a member of the WS19 group there's some information here

Hugh
Old 9th Nov 2013, 12:10 pm   #3
David Simpson
Nonode

Thanks Hugh for the info link. I had worked out that it was possibly a dual o/p HT PSU, going by the two rectifying circuits of metal oxide rect. stacks, chokes & capacitors. Dual i/p also,(AC Mains/12V DC) going by the slidelock fusing circuitry & vibrator. A handy piece of equipment if it'll put out a possible 100mA at 200 or 400V or so.
I used to belong to the WS19 Yahoo group, and have tried their online access proceedure in the past to their archives & associated Royal Signals site. God, what a lot of fannying about. Dedicated vintage radio enthusiasts, particularly those of us with an alternative military electronics background find their whole set-up jolly frustrating ! I tried & tried to download archive no 1518 this morning, but no luck.
I had intended today, anyway, to look up the VMARS archive, being a member. Hopefully, I'll have more sucess. But meantime, if any Forum readers/contributors do have any info on this nice compact PSU, please pass it on openly.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T.M.S. No1 MK D (b).jpg
Views:	241
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	85874   Click image for larger version

Name:	T.M.S. No1 MK D(c).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	85875   Click image for larger version

Name:	T.M.S. No1 MK D (d).jpg
Views:	244
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	85876  
Old 28th Feb 2014, 9:20 pm   #4
David Simpson
Nonode

Well folks,
Have returned to this interesting wee PSU. Still haven't found a jot of info yet.
Tried the WS19 link again today - just cannot get the info. ie Archive Document Ref No 1518. Sent an email off to the WS19 Yahoo Group Owner - nothing back yet.
Why oh why - info on a 1943 piece of equipment cannot be easily made available to us interested collectors/restorers - I cannot understand ? Prahaps these exArmy vintage equipment collecting collegues still believe these old servicing documents are still covered by the Official Secrets Act !

Regards, David
Old 31st Dec 2015, 12:55 pm   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

Well, Moderators & Folks, guess this thread can be closed now. I was never able to acquire any more info. However, it contained some jolly decent components, not to mention the cabinet made of lovely sheets of 1/4" & 3/16" Paxolin.
So, after long difficult de-soldering sessions(Tags - wires poked thru holes & wrapped twice !) I have many items which possibly lend themselves for a new Homebrew project I'm considering. Also cleaned up & de-soldered the remaining 3rd Transformer(rear left in Picture) from the VCM Mk2 which I disassembled a while back.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Old TMS Goodies.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	117595  
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 9:55 am   #6
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
Why oh why - info on a 1943 piece of equipment cannot be easily made available to us interested collectors/restorers - I cannot understand ? Prahaps these exArmy vintage equipment collecting collegues still believe these old servicing documents are still covered by the Official Secrets Act !
David,

they are not concerned about the OSA. What worries them is that you (or anyone else they might give "free access" to, will use them for "commercial gain"!

Richard
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 10:24 am   #7
Stockden
Heptode

If I've understood correctly what I've read, their policy is based on the bitter experience of having someone rip files in bulk from their server and start selling them.

Hugh
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 11:44 am   #8
David Simpson
Nonode

Here is me thinking that the thread was closed. Comments about restrictive access to obscure wartime equipment is old hat.
Personally, I've never been involved with re-selling free documentation for profit, therefore I resent any inference that I might do so. A vast amount of info has been passed between Forum folk, free, for years. The massive VMARS Archive is also free to members.
I recall suggesting that all vintage documentation archives could be held under the umbrella of the IET. I would further suggest that if Forum & VMARS Moderators, and BVWS Officials know of unscrupulous document dealers, then give them the boot & publically name & shame them.

Regards, David
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 1:13 pm   #9
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Presumably if the informaion were easily and freely available, it would have little or no commercial value, which would seem to solve the problem.
Closed Thread