UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2018, 5:35 pm   #21
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Reel to reel tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
As to tape types, Sony are as good as others from Japan (had their own tape factory).
Beg to differ. The PR150 (red or was it green box) tend to squeal terribly (despite being of innocuous looking brown oxide and not actually shedding). The SLH and ULH (hi fi, back coated) type are known Sticky Shed offenders. I would avoid Sony tape like the proverbial plague!
Old 20th Sep 2018, 7:33 pm   #22
Gulliver
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvis1957 View Post
Ok, here's another question (and thanks so far for all your help). Some of the radio programs I would like to record are up to 3 hours long (classical music), if I use a LP 7" tape at 1 7/8ips I should get 3 hours but is the quality likely to be good enough?
In a word....no.

1 7/8ips is too slow for even recording off FM radio. You're going to audibly lose quality. While it will give you longer record/play time it's really only suitable for voice. I have used that speed for radio plays and it's barely acceptable for this purpose. For classical music, I'm afraid even 3 3/4ips is going to be marginal depending on which machine you get.

There are Tandberg machines (possibly 3xxx series??) which get decent-ish frequency response at 1 7/8ips but wow and flutter won't be great.

With an Akai 4000 series or Sony TC-3xx machine performing well, with clean heads and a brand of tape it especially likes....3 3/4ips is fine for FM radio. I have several reels recorded in the 90s from BBC radio at that speed on a 2-head Akai and they're good, with the advantage of 90 minutes per side for 1800' tapes.

If you really want 3 hours without a break in the recording, you're better off getting a PC with a high quality sound card and recording digitally at 96kHz sample rate and 24-bit (or better). Then you can record onto reel to reel later if you wish from your digital recording.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 7:35 pm   #23
Gulliver
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
As to tape types, Sony are as good as others from Japan (had their own tape factory).
Beg to differ. The PR150 (red or was it green box) tend to squeal terribly (despite being of innocuous looking brown oxide and not actually shedding). The SLH and ULH (hi fi, back coated) type are known Sticky Shed offenders. I would avoid Sony tape like the proverbial plague!

Yep. while I've been lucky with the two reels of PR150 that I have, I have certainly seen videos of this squealing like crazy. Mine are in the red boxes, and are fine. The SLH and ULH Sony tapes are known for SSS and should be avoided at all costs. PR150 is a crap shoot, and isn't a great quality tape in the first place.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 8:48 pm   #24
jamesperrett
Octode

I'm going to go against the flow and say that 1 7/8ips is usable if you have the right machine. I was very impressed with the slow speed performance of my Philips N4515 which was as good as a reasonable cassette recorder (though not up to hifi cassette deck standards). I used to use that speed for party tapes and some off air recordings. I've not found another reel to reel machine that works as well at low speed as the N4515 though.
Old 21st Sep 2018, 10:08 am   #25
paulsherwin

Some machines are obviously better than others, and the tape formulation makes a big difference too.
Old 21st Sep 2018, 10:39 am   #26
woodchips
Octode

Just to be different, try a Grundig. I have just put my TS945 back to work after more than a 20 year layover. Took a little time for the servo to settle, and sounds like there is one or more caps to be replaced but to my ears (tinnitus) it sounds pretty good. Sales bumf said frequency response is 20Hz to 16kHz.

The reason for buying the Grundig was that it took 8.1/4" reels. My previous recorder was the old Ferrograph, also took 8.1/4" reels, and that I had bought lots of ex-BBC Scotch tape (World Wide Family Favourites!) which was good stuff. This was used at 7.1/2ips so got an hour on a tape.
Old 21st Sep 2018, 11:44 pm   #27
bobreel
Triode

I had a similar problem wanting to record Bob Harris 3 hour shows a couple of years back.
I used lpr35 tape 3600ft on a plastic reel on a 4track Revox and it worked well. Tape was about £26 a reel but you could get 2 shows per reel. Then I had a brain wave. VHS tape was available for about £4 for 4 hour recording. Tried recording from the freeview radio 2 chanel. Not ultra hifi but as good as open reel at 3n3/4 ips for a fraction of the cost. VHS machines can be obtained for little money these day. Not as impressive as an open reel deck, but they do the job.
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 12:40 am   #28
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Then I had a brain wave. VHS tape was available for about £4 for 4 hour recording. Tried recording from the freeview radio 2 chanel. Not ultra hifi but as good as open reel at 3n3/4 ips for a fraction of the cost. VHS machines can be obtained for little money these day. Not as impressive as an open reel deck, but they do the job.
If you use a Hifi VHS machine you'll end up with very good quality recordings - and up to 8 hours on a tape if the recorder has the half speed option. The only problem is dropouts can cause noises on playback. I used to back up studio masters onto Hifi VHS.
Old 25th Sep 2018, 2:46 am   #29
Numskull
Diode

I suggest you also look at TEAC A Series decks, like the A3300S, which is 10 1/2" reel, low speed 4T all solenoid unit from '73 and the 7" version the 2300. We have the earlier A3300-10 from '71 and it's still a very capable performer at 3 3/4ips, especially with Dolby. You could also look at the A1250 deck which has 7" reels. Of course, all R2R Prices have leapt-up in the last 24 months due to their current "cool" factor and old gits like me who want to reminisce recall their youth and are prepared to part with their cash to do so, but if you find a unit in good condition, once it's serviced (yes, it'll need to be!) you'll have a fabulous R2R which'll probably perform just fine for another 25 years.
Closed Thread