UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2021, 11:55 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Octode

Default GEC set to identify

This is from the same collector as the birdcage topped radio.

https://www.***********/photos/foundi...-richard16378/

It's a GEC but I'm not sure of the exact model.

I think it's displaying the The Secret Army.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44556587804_6741509d22_c.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	225110  
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 1:58 am   #2
michamoo
Hexode

Default Re: GEC set to identify

Nice chassis but not in that plastic cabinet as I remember the wood effect photo finish came off far too easily. It's from around 1974 but sorry can't remember the model number.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 10:44 am   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

Can't help with a model number, but I used to have the 26" version on legs.
Quote:
It's from around 1974
Yes, that would be my guess. I think the set pictured is the 22" version,

Mark
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 11:02 am   #4
toshiba tony
Heptode

We did these on rental, preferred the hybrid 2040 chassis. These were still good sets, reliable except for the zener in the line output's emitter, not too bad on tubes but as has been said the cabinet let them down. Easy to work on in the field, very modular.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 11:33 am   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I have a box of panels for those if anyone is interested. From the Granada model

Peter
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 11:37 am   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

GEC C2111 was the companies' first all transistor colour TV set. Introduced late 1972 with the main bulk of the production in 1973. Also a 20" model C2110.
I sold and rented this model. Very reliable but the cabinet wasn't very durable, the fake wood effect wore off to expose the black plastic.

DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 22nd Jan 2021 at 11:58 am.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 11:49 am   #7
toshiba tony
Heptode

Yes the plastic version was a nightmare, but I recall there was a wooden version too. The amount of plastic ones that we bodged was tremendous. It always seemed to be the tuning button assembly that failed. Why I don't know as they were varicap tuning. It wasn't like you had to push hard but that's customers for you.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 11:58 am   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I think it might have been engineers spraying the switchbank with cleaner. This rotted the fixings which would crumble in your hand - and would carry on decomposing after you'd repaired them as best you could. I saw some with nuts and bolts fitted through the front panel!
The modular construction was good. The line stage protection was a bit basic with a 47v zener in the emitter of the BU. This would fail, usually due to a faulty mains thyristor or, more commonly, the resistor in series with the set HT control going high.
Picture quality was reasonable (though not as good as the hybrids IMHO) and they usually had a good CRT. But the cabinet let them down, so you soon became adept at using Araldite and Fablon.
The wooden one was the 26" with touch tuning and slider controls with those neons that often needed you to jump in the air to change channel.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 12:14 pm   #9
FERNSEH
Dekatron

There was a posh version of the C2111.
The set was the C2112 and was housed in a wood cabinet with roll away doors.
In 1972/3 GEC continued to make a hybrid chassis set, the 26" C2108.
Can't remember if these model designations had the suffix "H".
What I do remember about these sets was a few arrived with damaged cabinets which was brought about by the method of packing sets in the box.
They didn't use moulded polystyrene blocks as is normal practice today. Instead, the set was located in the box with cardboard corner pieces.

DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 22nd Jan 2021 at 12:34 pm.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 12:34 pm   #10
toshiba tony
Heptode

Yes Glyn, same memory as you on them, I quite like them except for the points you have made, and they were nice and light to carry.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 12:50 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Fond memories of these. I had many customers with the wood version with the touch tuner. I can't remember how many Neon lamps I changed! They used to go out of balance [striking voltage] the result being that the selector stuck on one station. You could tell which station they watched the most by the blackening of the Neon. The BBC2 Neon was always 'as new'.

I used to get them in from other repair guys that had given up. They changed the ETT6016 [probably got that wrong from memory] poked about a bit then sent me the offending receiver complete!

The gold and green sticker used to fall off the back and most guys never memorized the actual model number. I just called it the GEC all transistor chassis.

Very good performers and very reliable. I can't remember having a single power supply problem but it might be those faded rose tinted spectacles playing their part.

Regards, John.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 1:55 pm   #12
1955APREN
Hexode

The touch tuner one was the 2121or 2621 like HCS says lots of trouble
with neons also the tuning pot mounted on the back I must have been lucky
do not remember 47v diode being a problem but do remember frame output
stage being a problem Tr & Caps
Derrick
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 2:11 pm   #13
bionicmerlin
Heptode

I have the Granada version in my pile.
The cabinet has gone brittle.i think the only thing to do is to reinforce it with ply inside.
I might dig it out soon . Andy
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 2:17 pm   #14
toshiba tony
Heptode

From memory the line output was unusual in going from the emitter down to deck was via a meaty zener, was the resultant voltage across it used for the LT supplies? Can't remember the configuration but in conventional circuits the emitter was taken to deck, I can't recall any other sets that derived said supplies in this manner, was there no extra protection used in case the transistor went s\c, or was the zener capable of taking HT across it, so long ago now.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 2:38 pm   #15
HurtyAC
Tetrode

These sets where reliable, main problem I saw was no vertical lock due to the little yellow/blue ELNA 4.7uF capacitor going open circuit, had the zener S/C on a couple of occasions and occasional sound IC failure. Noted the touch tune problems, don't forget to clean the contacts toughly! Pictures where very good. Plastic cabinets where as said awful and would break if you put anything on them. Bought many broken cabinet 20" versions. £20 pounds for tube rebuild (Ralf Stevenson) and from GEC themselves for £18.50 a new cabinet which included the back and all the front panel controls and was made of laminate covered chip board. Set looked brand new when finished and would sell immediately, just wish I could have bought more!!
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 4:33 pm   #16
AJSmith625
Pentode

Besides many of the faults already mentioned, there was a 180k resistor on the power supply panel next to the multi-pin plug which was a HT feed to the CRT grid circuitry. When this went high in value it gave a dull picture with flaring on highlights and could easily be mistaken for a low emission tube.
I went to a house call once where a touch tune model c2121 with the neons was stuck on one channel. It was a really cold day and when I entered the house I noticed the windows were streaming with condensation and the room was full of steam. It turned out the lady of the house had got Xmas puddings boiling away for hours on end in the kitchen. As soon as the windows had been opened and the steam had gone channel change was restored.

Alan.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 5:29 pm   #17
FERNSEH
Dekatron

GEC models from 1975 on such as the C2000H employed an improved light action tuning system. Proper buttons replaced the touch sensors used in the earlier C2121 models.
As for the model we are discussing the colour decoder was based on the Mullard four chip system. Early thyristor power supply boards didn't have the slow start circuit.
1976 models employed a combined tuner and decoder board using three chips in the decoder. The TCA800 IC was introduced into the circuit.
Hope I've got that right.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 5:35 pm   #18
dazzlevision
Dekatron

From memory, I think the UHF tuner stayed on the IF panel at the bottom of the chassis. The two previously separate decoder boards (with their bridging panel) became one, using the later IC set.
I’d need to unearth the GEC service manual to be 100% sure!
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 8:47 pm   #19
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Here are some scans from the 1973 and 74 GEC range brochures.

The chassis and panels shown are the initial version of the chassis, with the two decoder boards, linked by the bridge and 4.43MHz oscillator board.

I did like the later version of this chassis, apart from the plastic cabinets. It produced a crisp, well defined picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC C2210 brochure page part 1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	225161   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC C2210 brochure page part 2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	225162   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC C2210 brochure page part 3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	225163  
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 8:51 pm   #20
MickMcmichael
Pentode

Not to forget the two 1meg resistors on the top of the LOPT!
Closed Thread