UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2021, 11:39 pm   #1
Rowfia01
Diode

Default Decca hifi12

Evening all, just wondering if any one ever came across a Decca HIFI 12 before, it’s fitted with a Garrard SP25 mkV. Any info anyone could provide on this would be appreciated.

Steve
Old 20th Jan 2021, 11:30 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Decca hifi12

This is one of the last Music Centre type systems that Decca ever made around the mid-1970s. It may not be wholly of UK build, although the Garrard deck was. These types of units ultimately were no real competition to the Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba et al, units that then came onto the UK market.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 10:13 pm   #3
samjmann
Heptode

Default Re: Decca hifi12

Hi, my father had the Decca 1203 (1972-ish) which had a 12watt amp, two way speakers (cast baskets) and a Garrard 2025TC turntable with a Sonotone 9TAHC cartridge. It wasn't a bad sounding unit in it's day, possibly let down by the turntable. In my youth I swapped the turntable for a Garrard SP25Mk5, this rumbled just as much as the 2025TC!!

The pick-up cartridge is often a guide to overall sound, if your unit has a magnetic cartridge then overall, the sound is likely to be quite good.

SJM.