UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2021, 4:52 pm   #1
matthew.roberts
Diode

Default Garrard SP25 MKV speed selector

Hi all
Newby here - I bought a Hitachi SDT 787820R just like my Dad's back in the 70s/80s for nostalgia reasons and als to use it!
So the record deck is stuck on 33 speed. The switch works nicely and I can follow the poles and connectors right round to the opposite corner of the unit, all moving nicely with the move of the switch, but I can't see a reason why it's not switching the motor to 45. However being a noob I don't know how the motor is finally switched to 45 at the end of all the poles and connections.

I had the motor out and can't see anything much to play with there.
I added a couple of photos, as I say the swicth moves the poles right round to the close up photo and moves the little plate into two different posssible positions

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matthew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0 (12).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	224864   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (5).jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	224865  
Old 18th Jan 2021, 5:17 pm   #2
snowman_al
Octode

Default Re: Garrard SP25 MKV speed selector

Surely the motor spins at the same speed all the time.
Its the position of the belt on the motor shaft that changes the speed... and that is what the 'switch' should move ie. the belt.

Hi and welcome by the way, Alan

Last edited by snowman_al; 18th Jan 2021 at 5:25 pm. Reason: Welcome
Old 18th Jan 2021, 6:19 pm   #3
matthew.roberts
Diode

Aha thanks for this - as I say I'm new to the inner workings of record decks so this is a whole new world

So I found a plastic THING that is meant to slide up and down to move the belt up and down when the switch is moved. I had a poke around with it last week and it was so solidly in its position I didnt want to mess any more but now I can see it's totally jammed up with grease thats gone hard.

Thanks so much for the help
Old 18th Jan 2021, 6:26 pm   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

I don't know whether or not you've got a copy of the manual so have attached one anyway. If you have a look at the diagrams you'll see that there's a forked lever, actuated by the switch, to move the belt up and down on the motor pulley. Probably some lubrication needed at some point but be careful not to contaminate the belt or the pulley.

Alan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Garrard SP25 MKV Manual.pdf (3.76 MB, 58 views)
Old 18th Jan 2021, 6:31 pm   #5
matthew.roberts
Diode

Thanks so much for the help - as I say I'm a complete newby to what I was looking for - I did have a poke around at that part that the belt runs through, and it was very firmly in the up (33) position and the switch was happily sliding back and forth under it. It was so firmly in place that I left it well alone, but on further inspection now I can see it's completely seized in place with gone hard grease
SO thanks again for the pointer I'm going to try to clean away the gank so it can move freely up and down.
You guys a great
Closed Thread