UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2021, 10:36 pm   #1
RadioBobbie
Diode

Default Audio In Connection on Grundig Concert Boy 1100

Hello!

I have inherited an old Grundig Concert Boy 1100, which works beautifully. I would like to plug through its audio-in a bluetooth receiver, to stream music from my computer.

I cannot find the manual for the radio anywhere; can anybody knowledgeable about this model let me know what kind of connector will work on this radio? It seems to be using a DIN 5 connector, but I am not sure if I am right about it.

Thanks!
Old 7th Jan 2021, 11:09 pm   #2
agardiner
Octode

Default Re: Audio In Connection on Grundig Concert Boy 1100

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Yes, your radio has a 5 pin din style socket in it which can be used. It allows audio out (for a tape recorder) and audio in by selecting it.

Plenty of cheap cables on ebay which should work. Assuming you want the other end as a 3.5mm jack, then they often show up as a midi cable which will still be fine.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 3:01 am   #3
RadioBobbie
Diode

Agardiner, thank you for your help and for your welcome!

I have ordered one of those cables now, it should be here soon.

Thanks!
Old 20th Jan 2021, 7:23 pm   #4
RadioBobbie
Diode

Hello!

Sorry to bother again. I bought a cable, this one in particular (sorry, the page is in dutch) https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/cavus...-zwart-3-meter but unfortunately it does not seem to work with my Concert Boy 1100. I also have another Concert Boy model with the same connection and it does not work there, either.

I only hear a generic hum when I connect the cable to one radio; and a hum with some barely audible sound in the other radio.

Do you think the problem is the cable or the radio plug is broken on both radios?

Thanks!
Old 21st Jan 2021, 11:59 am   #5
G6ONEDave
Octode

According to the circuit diagram the 5pin DIN socket is wired as; 1 and 4 are tape output for recording from the radio. Connections 3 and 5 are tape input, so that a tape or other external audio source can be heard through the radio when the tape button is selected. The radio is mono so 1 and 4 are internally joined together and likewise 3 and 5 are also internally joined together.
Dave
Old 21st Jan 2021, 3:46 pm   #6
RadioBobbie
Diode

Thank you Dave! So I suppose the cable I have should work, but I will do some more tests.
Old 21st Jan 2021, 6:38 pm   #7
G6ONEDave
Octode

The cable that you have might well be connected wrongly for the radio. Being stereo it could be using pins 3 and 5, which won't produce tape playback sound from the radio unless one of the radio band selections is operated. If I am correct then in tape mode the cable is effectively being disconnected from the radio amplifier. If the DIN plug is rewirable, then it's simply a case of swapping over the wires in the DIN plug. If the cable has a moulded on DIN, it will need to be replaced with a solder on type or another cable that has two 3.5mm jack plugs, to give both input and output connections.
Dave
Old 21st Jan 2021, 7:04 pm   #8
agardiner
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBobbie View Post
Hello!

Sorry to bother again. I bought a cable, this one in particular (sorry, the page is in dutch) https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/cavus...-zwart-3-meter but unfortunately it does not seem to work with my Concert Boy 1100. I also have another Concert Boy model with the same connection and it does not work there, either.

I only hear a generic hum when I connect the cable to one radio; and a hum with some barely audible sound in the other radio.

Do you think the problem is the cable or the radio plug is broken on both radios?

Thanks!
Sorry the cable you bought didn't work straight away. If the radio is otherwise working then as said by Dave the wiring must be incorrect on the DIN plug. Hopefully you can alter?
Old 26th Jan 2021, 1:55 am   #9
RadioBobbie
Diode

Thanks guys, I am trying too! I am bit under-equipped as I am not really an expert on this stuff, I inherited these radios, but I will do my best!

And sorry for the late reply, I really appreciate your help and knowledge, I was just too busy juggling too much work in the past days.
Closed Thread