UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2020, 4:47 pm   #1
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Kenwood A701A food mixer bowl.

I've inherited an A701A (light blue) mixer with the glass bowl.

The problem I have is that as it's mixing, the planetary action 'undoes' the bowl and it comes free. The bayonet action seems to be designed that way.
When I've looked in the trade spares catalogue, the bayonet recess on the new bowl seems to go the other way, IE the planetary action tends to tighten, rather than release the bowl.

Is this a production mod, or have I just got the wrong bowl?
Old 10th Dec 2020, 7:02 pm   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: Kenwood A701A bowl

Sounds like you have the wrong bowl - ours drops into place and tightens clockwise.

Australian version?
Old 10th Dec 2020, 9:16 pm   #3
FIXITNOW
Octode

my A901 (same white bowl) also tightens clockwise
Old 10th Dec 2020, 9:26 pm   #4
audiomm
Pentode

Are the lugs on the glass bowl intact as broken ones will not 'lock' properly. Another thing to check is the the base where the bowl fits in. There is an aluminium disc which sits on a rubber (or plastic)) pad and the overall thickness is critical to make the bowl lock properly. Take both out and check. You'll likely find them stuck in place due to spills etc over the years, but they can be removed with a bit of patience & brute force
Oh, also check that the K Beater, Whisk or Dough hook are NOT touching the bowl at all. If they are then adjust them to clear - see attached.
And finally ensure the feet are in good condition - there should be an air gap between the mixer base and your benchtop. This is essential for air cooling of the motor. If the feet have flattened and the mixer sits hard down on the bench then expect the motor to overheat and eventually fail.
I hope this helps. Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2636.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	222286  

Last edited by audiomm; 10th Dec 2020 at 9:29 pm. Reason: Add attachment
Old 10th Dec 2020, 9:34 pm   #5
trsomian
Hexode

The way the beater fits in on ours will confirm (or deny) that the beater is revolving the correct way - its on an slight sort of scroll so that it only locks one way. Assuming it is correct, then don't forget the height of the K beater is adjustable and a slight adjustment there may have the desired effect. I agree with the earlier responses though, the bowl needs to lock in on the tapers, not simply sit.
Old 11th Dec 2020, 6:26 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

The bowl tightens clockwise, viewed from above, and the mixer goes anticlockwise, hence why it seems to be loosening it. The bowl mat has long gone and I made a new one out of foam to sit under the aluminium disc.
When I'm looking on the connect website their replacement kenlite bowl tightens anticlockwise, though of course the pic may be reversed!

I know my mums late 70's chef goes on clockwise but I cant remember which way the beater goes.

I replaced the shaft on the k-beater some time ago so that's set up as per the service manual.

I want to use the dough hook for making bread but it soon has the bowl off and wobbling all about.
Old 12th Dec 2020, 12:12 am   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

Have a look under the motor cover and make sure it has not been "got at" following a capacitor problem.
Old 12th Dec 2020, 10:00 am   #8
duncanlowe
Nonode

Looking at videos online, the rotation does appear to be anticlockwise, with the beater going clockwise as it goes.
Old 12th Dec 2020, 10:42 am   #9
fetteler
Octode

I have just had our 701A out and checked - when viewed from above the bowl locks clockwise and the beaters revolve anticlockwise and yes it is in the direction that friction would undo the bowl but that's never happened even with bread dough in there.

Perhaps you need to adjust the foam under the mat for a nice snug fit?

Steve.
Old 14th Dec 2020, 12:20 pm   #10
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Default Re: Kenwood A701A food mixer bowl.

Sounds to me like the rubber mat might be crucial for the mixer to work properly.

It must provide some sort of gripping action to stop the bowl turning. It would be impossible for a foam mat to give any grip at all, surely?

Just a thought - hope it helps

Peter.
Old 14th Dec 2020, 12:34 pm   #11
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I'd check the mat as well. New ones are available and when I repaired my grandmother's A701A all was fine.

I'd second audiomm's point about the adjustment of the beaters too. This is crucial, though do check whether there are specific instructions for the A701A in case it differs from the A701.
Old 14th Dec 2020, 2:31 pm   #12
g8jzyian
Pentode

Hi
I have just checked our 701 and from above the bowl locks clockwise the planetary action runs anticlockwise but the outer edge of the beater runs clockwise next to the bowl. There is a rubber mat under the bowl.
I keep a close eye on the wear on the rubber feet and have a set in the drawer for when they wear down.
Old 14th Dec 2020, 10:17 pm   #13
McMurdo
Dekatron

Well, someone's certainly been in the motor (me!). I changed the filter and motor capacitor and reterminated the chafed mains flex. After looking at a picture of the (missing) bowl mat, I fashioned one out of a sheet of rubber. thicker than the one I made from foam. It's certainly tighter! I just don't ever remember one on my mother's chef, although that had the Kenlite bowl.
Old 14th Dec 2020, 11:12 pm   #14
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomm View Post
Oh, also check that the K Beater, Whisk or Dough hook are NOT touching the bowl at all. If they are then adjust them to clear - see attached.
Mike
Hey, thanks Mike Ours fell off the worktop (don't ask) and I had to do radical surgery with internal plates to hold it all back together, and now the beater just about hits the bowl. I never realised one could screw the thing up and down. Result!
Old 14th Dec 2020, 11:21 pm   #15
McMurdo
Dekatron

The correct height adjustments for the various attachments are in the service manual manual if anyone wants a copy.
Old 14th Dec 2020, 11:58 pm   #16
mark_in_manc
Octode

I didn't measure the thread pitch, but I went in 1/2 a turn at a time until it stopped going 'clonk'. Is the manual you have, the service manual? (ah, edit - yes it is, you said as much!). That could be handy - not done the motor on my one yet. I've only had it for 20 years and it was older than that when I bought it!
Old 15th Dec 2020, 2:04 am   #17
McMurdo
Dekatron

The height instructions are different to those in the owner's manual