UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2020, 2:09 pm   #1
markevans
Diode

Default Smiths Sectric Delhi Major Problem

I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me out with a problem I have with my Delhi Major.

It's running and the minute & second hand keep time but the hour hand has stopped.

I'd be grateful for any advice as I'd love to getting going again.

Many Thanks

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201202_125138.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	221681  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 3:41 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Smiths Sectric Delhi Major Problem

Mark,

A few questions:
  • Has the hour hand suddenly stopped?
  • Does the hand move at all? (gently!)
  • Can you remove the hands and dial at all?

(We don't know of how much expertise you have in doing this sort of thing)
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 4:01 pm   #3
markevans
Diode

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Initially the hour hand would stop at 4 and I could push it forward and it would go for 12 hours before it stopped at 4 again. I thought maybe it was fouling the face there but I could see that it wasn't. Then the hour hand stopped altogether.

I've removed the dial and I can move the hour hand with my finger. I think I'll be able to remove the hands too.

When I use the manual adjusting winder the hour hand no longer moves which makes me think the problem is with the mechanism and that's the bit I'm nervous about meddling with!

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 4:46 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Mark,

This must be a very late version (early 1960s?) using the rather cheao and horrible "QEMG" (I think) movement.

Something has probably worn and is not meshing properly, or worse still, one of the wheels might have shed some teeth. I think the wheels are metal but the plates are Paxolin (as opposed to brass in older, more solid models).

The bit of the clock movement which drives the hands is called the "motion work" and is often on the front of the movement, just behind the dial (though I can't remember if it is with this type).

You should be able to see what's wrong with a bit of careful investigation (power off, dial and hands removed, glasses on, torch at the ready).

I might have a scrap movement you could have some bits from, but they might be as worn out as yours.

Keep us informed about how you get on.

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 2nd Dec 2020 at 5:03 pm.
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 6:37 pm   #5
markevans
Diode

Hi Nick

Phew, I've got lucky and managed to get the hour hand working again.

I could see which wheel drove the second hand when it was switched on and which wheel drove the minute hand by rotating the drop down knob. That meant that the wheel closest to the face drove the hour hand.

So I gave that wheel a good clean and picked some debris off it and that's done the trick, just as I was bracing myself to dismantle it ! That's a relief!

Thanks for your advice & the kind offer of spares.

Happy Days!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201202_125105.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	221697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201202_170540.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	221698  
Old 7th Jan 2021, 1:51 am   #6
John_Dw
Tetrode

The annular mark on the dial suggests that the hour hand has been dragging at some time....
Old 8th Jan 2021, 9:57 pm   #7
Robsradio
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Dw View Post
The annular mark on the dial suggests that the hour hand has been dragging at some time....
Probably lifting the gear forward and coming out of mesh, the worst scuffing around the 4 o’clock position where the OP said it was stopping. Glad it’s all fixed now, another one saved from a quartz movement!
Closed Thread