UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2008, 7:21 pm   #1
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Default Heathkit IM36 Transistor Tester

I was given this Heathkit Transistor Tester IM36 some time ago its been stood on end for a while gathering dust.
Today I thought I would clean it up a bit, on having a look at it I found the meter had what I first thought was dust on the meter scale but on looking more closely it was black paint flaking off the meter needle luckily the unit has been stood in such a way that this has fallen to the top of the meter away from the movement.
I have taken the meter out of the case and I can get the clear plastic cover off ok but how do I clean the remaining paint from the needle without bending it the meter is a Ideal Precision meter USA.
Old 14th Sep 2008, 11:48 pm   #2
studiot
Pentode

Default Re: Heathkit IM36 Transistor Tester

slip a metal foil shield under the needle, covering evything else.

Clean up with spray cellulose paint remover/thinner from an auto spares shop or
spray nail polish remover.

Spray gently and keep the window open.

Remember the remover is highly flammable.
Old 15th Sep 2008, 2:45 pm   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Den
Bear in mind that it there is too much paint added or you have removed paint (but not both) it might vary the balance of the meter.
Old 15th Sep 2008, 6:51 pm   #4
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Den
Bear in mind that it there is too much paint added or you have removed paint (but not both) it might vary the balance of the meter.
Hi Chaps many thanks for thoughts I must admit I had not thought about the paint making a difference I will bear this in mind when I had the cover off the meter I was in a very slight draft and it made the needle swing about slightly.
Old 15th Sep 2008, 10:04 pm   #5
studiot
Pentode

Paint removal will only affect balance if partial, as the weight distribution has then changed introducing extra torsion on the suspension.

But you have already had this as some paint has been lost.

Once stripped the needle will obviously be lighter and therefore possess less inertia, but the balance should be unaffected.
Closed Thread