UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2016, 3:19 pm   #21
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Cir-Kit ? Anyone remember it

I think it was the first generation of Philips kits that used hardboard. I had an EE2003 from the late 70s, and the board was definitely (blue) plastic, but using the same spring clip system. The nice thing I thought with the Philips was that you for the most part used unmodified components (i.e. not mounted on any special inserts or plugs) - only the transistors were mounted on small PCB's as their leads were too short - actually, while this was true for the kit I had with silicon transistors, I believe the earlier kits with germanium transistors took advantage of the long leads of those components.

As for prototyping I favor copperless veroboard, I can basically mount the components as I would on a PCB, and use leads (or stiff wire) to interconnect them. If needed, I run (insulated) wires on the top of tbe board as well. Very practical for one-off projects. Have never done any HF work and it probably wouldn't be ideal there as there is no ground plane whatsoever, although I used to build 8-bit microprocessor systems in this way, which worked fine.
Old 19th Sep 2016, 3:20 pm   #22
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I still have my Philips EE kit. I originally thought that the cards that you mounted on the board were 'printed circuits'. (Well they did show the circuit and were printed - probably by offset lithography or perhaps letterpress!)
Old 19th Sep 2016, 5:44 pm   #23
Peter88gate
Tetrode

Cir-kit has been discussed before in 2012, see my post here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...9&postcount=11 with an image of a sample supplied with Practical Electronics.

Peter
Old 19th Sep 2016, 5:59 pm   #24
Cobaltblue

Did build a couple of small projects with it in the early 70's ISTR but it was far more trouble than it was worth Vero-board was a much easier option.

Did use it to replace missing tracks on early PCB's with reasonable success but no more so than using wire

Cheers

Mike T
Old 19th Sep 2016, 7:31 pm   #25
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I suppose its main advantage is that very quick lash-up prototypes can be made by literally following the circuit diagram with the tape and soldering components in position. No PCB design of any sort required.
Old 19th Sep 2016, 8:06 pm   #26
MrBungle
Dekatron

Or go deadbug and don't even have to tape it out
Old 19th Sep 2016, 11:00 pm   #27
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy_vintage View Post
From Ash: Anyone remember 'Cir-Kit'
Yes...I remember it. Sorry to say it was rubbish. Both myself and my brother attempted to build a couple of featured circuits with it. We sort of succeeded but the end result was not very satisfactory and it didn't stick very well....!

Much preferred Veroboard and I still use it.
Old 20th Sep 2016, 3:57 pm   #28
cathy_vintage
Pentode

Anyone used this 'press-n-peel' stuff for prototype PCB's. Seems to get good feedback on the Rapid Electronics site. They also sell the copper strip -self adheasive like 'Cir-kit' but 5mm wide foil.

https://www.rapidonline.com/press-n-...k-of-5-34-4450

https://www.rapidonline.com/rapid-ct...-x-50m-34-0636
Old 20th Sep 2016, 4:10 pm   #29
Radio Wrangler

Wainwright minimount.... now that was the good stuff!

David
Old 20th Sep 2016, 4:22 pm   #30
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Yes, I used Wainwright board for prototyping some high-frequency stuff (ADCs running at 50MHz, with the appropriate input amplifiers, etc) in my work about 25 years ago.

It was very nice, but expensive, and I found I could do just as well using normal PCB (unetched) for the ground plane and little 'mounts' made from postage-stamp sized bits of verroboard, stuck down (copper side up) with double sided tape. The Wainwright striplines looked nice on paper but didn't seem to work for me.
Old 20th Sep 2016, 5:34 pm   #31
GeoffK
Heptode

Still got a couple of reels left over from the PW 12+12 Amplifier I built that still works though hasn't been switched on for a while. Cir-kit still sticky still useable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cir-kit.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	130318  
Old 20th Sep 2016, 6:57 pm   #32
jimmc101
Heptode

There was also a Cir-Kit that made PCB repair kits, I've just dug this one out of the back of a cupboard.
the copper pads were not self-adhesive, they used a liquid adhesive plus activator.
The small containers on the left contain tubular rivets (Griplets).

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cir-Kit.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	130320  

Last edited by jimmc101; 20th Sep 2016 at 6:58 pm. Reason: English
Old 20th Sep 2016, 7:06 pm   #33
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

That brings back (horrid) memories!

The thinnest you can easily get now is 5mm.

But now for prototypes, and even in a box for finished stuff I'm a dead bug man.

The king of the dead bug was the late great Jim Williams of AD. Have a look at the photos at the end of this http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/applic...note/an74f.pdf

And then read the note to see what he was measuring, how it was done - and then look at the dead bug layout again with deep respect!
Old 20th Sep 2016, 8:34 pm   #34
ms660
Dekatron

Yes, street cred for that one.

Lawrence.
Old 21st Sep 2016, 2:15 am   #35
suebutcher
Heptode

Ouch! That hurts my eyes to look at.
Old 21st Sep 2016, 7:27 pm   #36
ionburn
Heptode

I remember the Cir-Kit stuff. I cannot remember if I ever had any, but was not impressed.

I had a Philips EE kit, and still have some of the bits (transistor boots and the LDR although it's escaping me at the moment as to where it is). I also have the manual somewhere.

Although I have used printed circuits, both etched and hand cut, I prefer to use Veroboard (or good equivalent). I have usedit for years. I tend to work directly from the schematic, juggling layout in my head as I solder my way across the board. I like to use one of the large strips, and cut it off (scribe and snap then file edges) when I have completed the circuit. These large strips usually suffice for several circuits as I modulise my designs. The main exception here is when designing with logic circuits (especially things like microprocessor or other typically high pin number chips). It is like art in that results improve with experience.
Old 21st Sep 2016, 7:58 pm   #37
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Maplin used (a couple of years ago) to sell an FR4 (fibreglass) substrate stripboard with tinned copper tracks. It was lovely to work with (provded you didn't need a ground plane for high frequency work). Alas they have discontinued it, and I have never seen it anywhere else. Does anyone know of a supplier. I am running out...

I agree with ionburn. For 1-off circuits I can have it soldered up on stripboard in less time than it takes to design a PCB. I never really plan the layout, just start soldering, and somehow it all fits and works...
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 12:50 pm   #38
Herald1360
Dekatron

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/stripboards/0434627/

If you're feeling flush?

I like single side copper clad matrix board, if I can get it. Copper side up, Vero spot cutter where legs go through and hardwire on bottom side. Ground connections leave hole as is and solder to copper.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 1:24 pm   #39
MrBungle
Dekatron

They do cheaper ones: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/stripboards/5230666/

I always solder myself into a corner on these or spend way too much time planning the things so I gave up on them. Usually i'll build something point to point/deadbug and make a PCB if I feel it deserves it. I haven't made a PCB for about 10 years now
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 1:27 pm   #40
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Thanks for that. I think that this one :

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/stripboards/5185932/

is the same as the one Maplin used to stock. I will try to remember to add some to my next order...
Closed Thread