UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2016, 3:22 pm   #1
Voxophone
Hexode

Default Replacing mica capacitors - best modern equivalents?

A pre-war valve set I’m currently restoring has a number of very fragile mica capacitors of a type without any wax or moulded encapsulation. Essentially they appear to be metal strips with a mica wafer held in place by a thin paper sleeve.

One way or another I’ve managed to damage at least two of them: a 5pF MW aerial trimmer and a 230pF IF bypass. The 75pF oscillator control grid cap may also be suspect.

My question is what type of modern capacitors would be best suited to replace these? Would it be best to go with silver mica as per the original design or would ceramic be adequate? I suspect the IF bypass would be more forgiving in than the aerial trimmer.

Obviously some level of realignment will be necessary.

Cheers

Liam
Old 15th Sep 2016, 3:25 pm   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Replacing mica capacitors - best modern equivalents?

I'd go for modern cheap NP0 ceramics if the voltage isn't too high. CPC sell them in packs of 10 for about £0.15 to £0.40 a pack.

Silver mica if you need higher voltage.
Old 15th Sep 2016, 3:47 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Silver mica were originally used for their close tolerance and stability, especially in tuned circuits, and whilst today, other types of caps will often suffice, why not simply replace then with modern silver mica 1% ones? There are countless listings of 1% silver mica caps on ebay, many of them mil spec, or if you prefer to buy from a large well known UK company, the likes of Farnell do them:

http://uk.farnell.com/silver-mica-capacitors

Good luck with the restoration Liam.
Old 15th Sep 2016, 8:39 pm   #4
Nicklyons2
Octode

I agree with David; best replacement for silver-mica is silver-mica
Old 15th Sep 2016, 10:22 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

I've used polystyrene capacitors successfully, though you do have to watch the voltage rating.

The oscillator control grid capacitor should not be at all critical.

Obviously, capacitors forming part of a tuned circuit will be critical though. Agree silver mica would probably be best.

Occasionally, temperature coefficient may be important, to compensate for an opposite tempco in a coil, but that's something you will have to find out the hard way.
Old 16th Sep 2016, 3:28 pm   #6
Voxophone
Hexode

Thanks all. I ended up ordering silver micas from RS. Hopefully they'll do the trick.
Closed Thread