UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2016, 11:35 am   #1
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default AEI CG90 diode data?

I've just obtained a box full of junk and there are some interesting diodes in it. Appears to be from an old Tektronix 545 chassis (unfortunately only parts, but that's what I'm after really) and I've extracted a very low forward voltage glass encapsulated black diodes, marked AEI CG90. Forward voltage drop is a respectably low 0.26v.

Does anyone know any details about these. They appear to be entirely mysterious. I can't find any data on them anywhere.

Possibly point contact, most likely germanium but could do with some info on reverse breakdown / capacitance and forward current etc.
Old 15th Sep 2016, 2:37 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: AEI CG90 diode data?

You should be able to measure the PIV of an unknown diode, as long as you have a PSU that will turn up high enough. Keep increasing the series resistance as you increase the voltage, so as to keep the power dissipation down; you don't want to blow them up while testing.
Old 15th Sep 2016, 2:42 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

AEI...CG90H...Germanium, gold bonded.

PIV = 25 Volts.

Maximum forward current = Not given.

Maximum reverse current = 7uA at 10 Volts.

Maximum rectified current = 80mA.

Application = Very high speed switching.

Ref: Radio Valve Data, Iliffe, 8th Edition.

Lawrence.
Old 15th Sep 2016, 2:56 pm   #4
MrBungle
Dekatron

Excellent - many thanks!
Old 15th Sep 2016, 3:19 pm   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

As mentioned by julie_m I measured the PIV of one and it conducted around 32v and promptly broke in two with a little puff of smoke. Oops. Also some of these appear to be bidirectional diodes and some are nonodes I.e open circuit.

I can see why this scope was scrapped - I've pulled perhaps 100 components out of the assemblies and I have about 11 that are still in tolerance and operational. Got some nice switches, pots and Tektronix ceramic strips so not too bad.
Old 15th Sep 2016, 4:34 pm   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Some of them are now Dedodes too.

When I think of the hours that our lab scopes did as heaters in winter, I'm not surprised.
Closed Thread