UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2016, 2:10 pm   #1
cathy_vintage
Pentode

Default Redifon Transistors

Ash here ... I found some 'Redifon' Transistors last night in my general junk clearing. I will look up the ref. number tonight but what were they used for /in. I suspect they are germanium in AC126 style cans. Was Redifon a semiconductor manufacturer or an equipment manufacturer?
Old 14th Sep 2016, 2:28 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Redifon Transistors

Redifon made professional and military comms equipment, and later flight simulators and IT stuff. I don't think they made their own transistors so these are likely to be Mullards underneath.

It used to be thought that TO1 Ge transistors didn't suffer from tin whiskers, but several forum members have reported these symptoms with AC126/8s recently and it seems to be an emerging problem. It may depend on the manufacturer or even the individual batch.
Closed Thread