UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2016, 7:35 pm   #61
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Default Re: Bush SRP31D with Monarch deck. Capacitor issues.

Hi Rt thanks for the advice 180 + 180 is giving me 216 volts after the heaters warm up. And that most deciadly will do I take it the 5 Watt resistors should be ok?
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 7:49 pm   #62
ms660
Dekatron

If you have the Bush manual you will be able to work out the wattage dissipated in the resistor(s)...Yes, 5 watt resistors will be fine.

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 8:00 pm   #63
Radio tirana
Pentode

Great work, the valves and output transformer should have a much longer life now.
I loved working on this particular model, those turret posts are much easier to rework than the usual tagstrips.

Regards RT
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 9:03 pm   #64
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Thanks RT All done now and it seems happier a hum is now just a faint mains hum on high volume with no record on must as Techman pointed out have been way overloaded I may though order a 360R as I have put the 180R resisters where the 10W 100R was and it could be tidier? but its sleeved and not touching anything. Also now I have put in the correct stylus I am very pleased with the sound now where did I put those LP's? I have noticed some melted wax on the mains transformer I wonder if that was someones judicious use of the soldering iron or it was also being overloaded?

Thanks once more RT and Techman.

regards

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 x180R 001.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	126516   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 x180R 002.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	126517  
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 9:09 pm   #65
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Thanks Lawrence much appreciated.

Regards

Kev
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 9:13 pm   #66
Oldelectronics
Heptode

I dont know if everyone feels the same but Bush kit can be a pleasure to work on. This is my first record player but the radios are the same! At last now I can play those records that where lurking upstairs!!

Kev
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 11:20 pm   #67
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelectronics View Post
Does anyone out there recognize there work as I would be interested in the units history.
Somehow I don't think anyone's going to admit to that work

Let it be a warning to those who patch up old record players and then sell them on for a fast 'buck', that as sure as 'eggs is eggs', at some time in the future when it has more problems, their workmanship will come under scrutiny and be picked over by the forum 'experts' when the new owner brings it onto the forum for advice, and what they've done comes back to bite them in the back side

Good to see you've now got it as good as sorted. To be fair, what's been done is reasonable. The two cathode capacitors have been replaced - note: I would check that these are correct value and voltage, and particularly that they are the right way round polarity wise. The small Hunts has been replaced, although it's not in a critical position, but would have been slightly leaky. The person had the knowledge to know that the grid coupling capacitors are of a reliable type that don't normally need replacing. The worst thing was the wrong value HT line series resistor, that tells me that the restorer was an amateur, otherwise they would have checked the voltage and realised that things weren't right. Personally, I haven't ever worked on one of these with the ECL86 valves, but I have worked on several with the ECL83 valves and these have a slightly different current drain. I seem to remember that the series resistor value, although a lot higher than 100 ohms, is a bit less than the 330 - 360 ohm value required here - I can't remember.

I did find an SRP31C model with just a diode and absolutely NO series resistor fitted and the transformer was cooked, but luckily survived, so from what you say about the bit of wax, I think yours has had a close call.

That replacement smoothing can looks far too big. Replacements are usually a little smaller than the original. It's 500 volt rated and it probably needed to be with that low value resistor fitted, it needed all the help it could get Look at the way that clamps been bent up with the nut and bolt missing because it doesn't fit properly. Due to it having an isolated can, the negative has been connected with a bit of wire onto that clamp, note: I would check the value of that capacitor, but I don't think it'll matter too much if it's higher than the original due to the fact that the new rectifier can handle any increased inrush. The increased size is probably just down to its higher working voltage. The original probably didn't need replacing anyway.

The 5 watt resistor will be within tolerance. The higher the wattage rating, the cooler the resistor will run, so a 7 or 10 watt resistor will run cooler. However, it gets to a point where the size becomes cumbersome, so you can stick with the 5 watt type, but keep it away from any wiring and DON'T use any plastic sleeving as a 5 watt resistor may well get hot enough to melt it and cause the 'magic smoke'!

You've learnt a lot with this record player, even though at first it seemed that all the proper servicing had already been done to the electronics. So just make those last few checks and all should be good

Last edited by Techman; 23rd Jun 2016 at 11:42 pm.
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 11:27 pm   #68
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Thanks Techman once more for the advice and vertical learning curve!!

best Regards
Kev
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 11:44 pm   #69
Techman
Dekatron

Cheers Kev

Best regards.
Closed Thread