UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2015, 3:51 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default Can valves have 0% emission?

Several times recently I have tested old valves and there has been no deflection on the Gm test , using Avo Mkii. Is this quite possible or could it be bad pin contact or valve needing more time. Others gave 'normal' readings.
Old 10th Oct 2015, 4:36 pm   #2
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: can valves have 0% emission?

Quite possible, but,
Dont always believe the tester.

Some time ago I had a couple of "dud" valves, that showed zero emission, on a Taylor, AVO Mk3 and almost zero on a VCM 160.

Strangely enough, they worked. Not much output, but they did work.
Old 10th Oct 2015, 6:06 pm   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: can valves have 0% emission?

The most likely cause of a genuinely 'no emission' valve would be an internal disconnection, or in the base if it has one.

Peter
Old 10th Oct 2015, 7:30 pm   #4
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Can valves have 0% emission?

Are they Triodes or Pentodes?
Old 10th Oct 2015, 9:21 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Can valves have 0% emission?

Not wishing to state the blindingly obvious - and certainly not to insult your intelligence - but are the heaters open-circuit? (An easy thing to overlook in the heat of the moment).

Al.
Old 10th Oct 2015, 10:21 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

If the valve's in a low power circuit and normally runs a mA or less, it may still "work" even if emission is down to 10uA or less. That would probably look like 0% on most testers.

If the filament/cathode still gets hot, presumably there will always be some emission, even if the special coatings are shot.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 11th Oct 2015, 11:27 am   #7
Pete_kaye
Octode

The most recent one was an EL37 and an OT220 before that on a early Avo. I am not sure whether it is a Mk1 or 2 or neither.It is in 2 parts and fold sout with valve bases on the left and meter on right . It isn't mine. And the heaters were intact.
Old 11th Oct 2015, 2:56 pm   #8
GrimJosef
Dekatron

I'm afraid that finding EL37's with good emission has been difficult for a long time. Something about the production process seems to have made them unusually short-lived .

Cheers,

GJ
Old 11th Oct 2015, 4:16 pm   #9
Radio Wrangler

No deflection on the Gm test doesn't mean no emission.

No emission would mean zero anode current, and nothing of anything else consequently.

Some anode current but zero Gm suggests that the valve is in saturation. Every electron that can leave the cathode is doing so and waving the grid voltage around a little for the Gm test makes no difference to the anode current. If you play around with the grid bias voltage setting, you may find a region with some grid influence and see the Gm lift a little. However, the bottle doesn't sound like a promising candidate for much.

David
Old 17th Sep 2016, 11:23 am   #10
Station X

I experienced this very problem yesterday when testing a pair of "pulled" ECL83's on an AVO CT160.

No sign of being down to air, no inter-electrode shorts and heaters intact/light up. However at the specified grid voltage there was zero anode current in either section. By reducing the grid voltage to zero I was able to get a few mA's of anode current to flow in the pentode section.

Suspecting a tester fault (it wouldn't be the first time), I tested an ECL80 which has the same pin out. It tested fine.

So it looks like I have a couple of duds. All I can think to do is clean the heater pins in case dirt on them is putting resistance in the heater circuit. If that fails I'll try increasing the heater voltage. There's nothing to lose.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Sep 2016, 11:20 am   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I experienced this very problem yesterday when testing a pair of "pulled" ECL83's on an AVO CT160
Suspecting a tester fault (it wouldn't be the first time), I tested an ECL80 which has the same pin out. It tested fine.
But they don't....... ECL80 has its infamous common cathode, ECL83 is more user friendly with separate ones.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Sep 2016, 11:31 am   #12
Station X

Agreed Chris, but the two valve types are tested on a CT160 using the same selector switch settings. This means that the two cathodes of the ECL83 will be connected together. My aim was to show that the CT160 was working correctly.

Old 18th Sep 2016, 4:07 pm   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

That works. Never driven a CT160 myself- just responding to pin out at face value.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Sep 2016, 9:13 pm   #14
ionburn
Heptode

Logic would tell me that a valve that is physically Ok as per working heater and reasonable vacuum would always have some emission even if the cathode were heavily contaminated. Just likely to be out of spec and measurement range of whatever tester is being used.

Admittedly I have not got a commercial tester, but I do prefer to go back to first principles and my 'plug together' modular setup as it does tell and teach me far more about what is going on.
Old 19th Sep 2016, 12:48 am   #15
julie_m
Dekatron

It's just about feasible for a valve that has been subjected to long-term abuse to fail with low emission.

If you strap the ECL83 cathodes together, it has the same final pinout as an ECL80 with the suppressor grid strapped to the common cathode, so that would explain the similarity of the tester setups for the two valves.
Old 19th Sep 2016, 6:14 pm   #16
Station X

It turned out that the valves I was testing were PCL83's with 12.6V 300mA heaters rather than ECL83'S with 6.3V 600mA heaters. When tested with the correct heater voltage they showed some emission, but nothing like the specified figure. I put that down to age.

I mentioned earlier that these were "pulls". They were in a large number of pulls which came into my possession. There was no visible lettering on the glass, but someone had stuck on labels saying ECL83. I became suspicious when I noticed that they lit up very dimly when compared to a NOS boxed PCL83. Applying a variable voltage to the heaters whilst measuring the heater current showed that they were indeed PCL83's

Old 20th Sep 2016, 11:45 am   #17
Peter.N.
Dekatron

They had quite a hard life in TVs as audio or frame output valves, the glass became discoloured internally if they had been worked hard so if yours were that's probably why,

Peter
Old 20th Sep 2016, 12:21 pm   #18
Station X

They're definitely discoloured Peter. I don't throw valves away unless they're down to air though.

Old 21st Sep 2016, 10:06 am   #19
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I'm the same, that's why I have several boxes of them in my garage loft, I stripped all the valves from the last of the valve/hybrid TVs I scrapped, I have a couple of CRTs up there as well, a 14" and a 17", no labels but I think they are Mullard electrostatic focus.

Peter
Closed Thread