UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2016, 7:47 pm   #1
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Quartz Crystal Exchange

I have lots of them, but never exactly the one I want.
You might have too.

To buy one custom made today is ~£20 at a guess.

You can judge holder/capacitance/series/parallel and get close to what you need - good enough to work.

The Buy/Sell forums say no swaps so I dare not post there.

Seems a pity. Ideas?
Old 16th Sep 2016, 8:43 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Quartz Crystal Exchange

I've got a lot too, and no index of them.

Fewer crystals are wanted than are held, I think, so it would seem efficient for someone wanting one to post a 'wanted' and anyone with one can make contact by PM. That way there wouldn't be any competitive aspect.

David
Old 16th Sep 2016, 8:53 pm   #3
m0cemdave
Octode

I too have a large box of crystals, including some that I don't need. I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of what's there.

A "crystal exchange" could be quite a useful facility, though probably outside the remit of this forum.

One method might be for a group of participants to list all their crystals on Excel (or compatible) spreadsheets, and upload them to some webspace to be shared with like-minded enthusiasts. Alternatively a "wiki" type page might work.

One potential difficulty is that its usefulness would depend on all subscribers keeping their lists up to date, so judging by many radio club (and personal) websites it might be doomed to early failure...
Old 16th Sep 2016, 9:01 pm   #4
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

If you want to sell any of them, maybe a call to IQ Electro? He often advertises in PW and RadCom (I think) and has loads of odd-the-shelf crystals so he must buy up all kinds of old stock I guess.

He sells them for about £5 each, so I don't expect he'll pay much, but worth a try...?

IQ Electro, 0208 391 0545, vincentvoy@hotmail.co.uk

Regards,

Ian
Old 16th Sep 2016, 9:04 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've got loads of xtals - most of them alas are HC18-style 'pulls' from various rock-bound public-service VHF radios I was tasked with decommissioning in the 1980s. As such they're not likely to be of much interest unless you have a death-wish and want to start doing AM on 101/135MHz split...
Old 16th Sep 2016, 9:31 pm   #6
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

That has pulled some out of the woodwork!
Just as I hoped.

I share most of those stories. I too have tried to compile an excel list of what I have in HC25/similar and in HC6. My format won't match yours for sure.

I remember IQD -of Crewkerne I think. IQ Elecro are related maybe?

It's strange. Many UK Crystal mfrs were centered around Cambs/Suffolk and Somerset. HyQ, IQD, Golledge et al.

Then there was QSL (Kent) and the Southampton one - name has gone for the moment - ah- McKnight!!

It's less about money. More about I have what you need - probably you have what I need!
Old 16th Sep 2016, 9:58 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Euroquartz also in Somerset. Cathodeon (part of PYE) were in Cambridgeshire. ITT in sidcup and Salford Electrical Instruments in Heywood Lancs (now the site of a supermarket)

David
Old 16th Sep 2016, 10:05 pm   #8
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

They seemed to cluster - just my impression.
I've been past EuroQuartz quite a bit last few years.
They are next to the Crewkerne Dump - the one that reads your number plate and charges you per visit.
Locally fly tip central - that's off topic sorry.
Old 16th Sep 2016, 11:07 pm   #9
Restoration73
Nonode

Our local was QCC, New Malden, now long gone. Bags of HC6U crystals are often seen
inexpensively priced at radio rallies. To avoid money and swapping, a crystal exchange
could make use of tokens that could only be exchanged for crystals.
Old 16th Sep 2016, 11:16 pm   #10
Pamphonica
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post
If you want to sell any of them, maybe a call to IQ Electro? He often advertises in PW and RadCom (I think) and has loads of odd-the-shelf crystals so he must buy up all kinds of old stock I guess.
This is Vincent Jakomin, a most useful chap! I was stuck for AM net frequency crystals for a replica transmitter I built. He sorted me out with custom (new) crystals made to my spec at very reasonable prices.
Jeremy
Old 17th Sep 2016, 3:34 pm   #11
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Jon, G4MDC, put me onto this topic.

I have several hundred or more likely 1000s of ex-mil crystals, most NOS, plus a goodly selection of secondhand 10X and American base types.

Basically, in late 2015 I bought a job lot of gear at a local general auction and the crystals were bundled in with everything else! I went back to a subsequent auction and there was a large Dexion shelving unit absolutely jammed solid with more crystals. Unfortunately, SWMBO dragged me away, or perhaps fortunately!

I think to sell or swap the rocks on this forum would incur the wrath of the Mods but perhaps someone with a web-site or forum could host listings?

Roger
Old 17th Sep 2016, 4:16 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

Absolutely no problem with selling on the Forum, as long as a fixed price is quoted, and the spirit of the rules is not abused. No pricing is involved in wanted ads, so no conflict there. How you choose to pay for them is a subject for PMs, as normal. I wouldn't expect many people would be interested, so it shouldn't take long for an understanding to develop.
Old 17th Sep 2016, 11:57 pm   #13
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Probably 200 to 300 HC6 xtals somewhere in the shack here. All doing nothing. They are mostly ex Hi Band PMR frequencies but may be useful. Again, I don't have a list, and I would think there are a lot of duplicates, but I am willing to have a look if anyone was in need of one.
Alan.
Old 19th Sep 2016, 9:31 am   #14
GMB
Dekatron

You can get custom crystals for about £8. PM me for contact details of someone who is privately offering that service.

I think a crystal exchange will not work. The trouble is that there are certain frequencies that everyone wants and these are now depleted from all the various cashes of crystals. I see great boxes of crystals at events and I never find a single one that I am looking for - and I am looking for a wide range of values!
Old 19th Sep 2016, 6:01 pm   #15
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Just had a dig around in the shed and I probably have a couple of thousand crystals in various can styles, but a lot of duplicates and not very useful frequencies, mainly ex PMR and link equipment. Ho hum!
Alan.
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 5:28 am   #16
FrankB
Heptode

Just remember that on any xtal that you can open the case on, you change the frequency up or down a bit. To lower the freq, add a bit of pencil lead on the quartz plate. To raise the freq, you can GENTLY rub the xtal using some scouring powder on a sheet of glass.
Be sure to clean the xtal blank well, and check freq. and operation often during the process. I did this years (OK, so it was more than a few decades) ago with good success. Tip comes from an old ARRL handbook.
Closed Thread