UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2013, 9:18 pm   #1
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Default Using marker pens in restoration work

This might be old hat but for some time I've been using permanent marker pens for parts where repainting can at best be at bit fiddly.

Some examples are:

When removing and refitting the speaker and meter switches on the front panels of my Racal RA17s I invariably chip the finish on the securing nuts. Now, I refit the switches then go over all of the nut with a fine-tipped black marker.

I'm currently restoring a Larkspur Wireless Set B44 Mk3. The metal speaker grille, which was badly scuffed with bare metal showing, is located behind vertical die-cast bars that form part of the front panel. Rather than try to remove the speaker ( and possibly more ) I went over the visible parts of the grille with a dark green marker.

I hope I'll be forgiven for this one! I'm also restoring a Bush VHF61. The control knobs have spray paint in the grooves (caused by me!) which I had great difficulty in removing. Again, using a fine-tipped black marker I "coloured" in all the grooves.

In all three examples you'd be hard pressed to tell that marker pen has been used. I don't suppose it would be suitable for heavy usage parts; in the case of the Bush time will tell.

If the marker pen ink gets where it shouldn't on Bakelite or paintwork, a squirt of hair spray on a cotton bud does a good job of removing it.

Regards, Lee.

Last edited by frglee21; 2nd Jul 2013 at 9:48 pm.
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 9:27 pm   #2
Alistair D
Nonode

Default Re: Using marker pens in restoration work

I regularly use them for touching up after repairs to the vinyl covering on the cases of amplifiers and speakers. Sometimes the marker ink is too shiny so a wipe over with a finger just before it dries is very effective in dulling it down. Not sure if that would work as well on a metal part but worth a try.

Al
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 11:53 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have used permanent markers to touch in wooden cabinets with good results, I believe you can buy markers just for this very task.

Mark
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 7:49 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I used to do this all the time as a kid "restoring" my jumble sale purchases. It's nice to know the grown-ups do it too!

I sometimes use those silver paint felt-tips too, e.g. for touching-up hammer effect silvery paint on the surround of VHF90As, and where the silvering's worn off raised letters (e.g. the "Thorens" emblem on the TD150).

N.
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 8:15 pm   #5
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I sometimes use those silver paint felt-tips too, e.g. for touching-up hammer effect silvery paint
That's a top tip if ever there was one

Like Alistair, I to have used the felt pens for years to touch up rexene/tolex on cases with great results. Recently my 'significant other' used a dark brown indelible marker pen to great effect on our leather chesterfield where Plug (one of our erswhile cats....) had got at it.

Cheers,
Steve.

PS Like the scratch marks, Plug is no longer with us. RIP Plug

Last edited by fetteler; 3rd Jul 2013 at 8:25 pm. Reason: PS, and a typo!
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 8:37 pm   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Difficult to get an exact match with most types of repair, I have found it better to get the repair a shade darker than the surround, lighter is more noticeable. I think darker represents ingrained dirt and leaves a more natural patina.
John.
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 9:44 pm   #7
Alistair D
Nonode

Nick, it sure is a top tip.

Al
Old 8th Jul 2013, 4:09 am   #8
majoconz
Heptode

A box of kids crayons do a wonderful job of filling and covering scratches in a wooden cabinet and takes polish well afterwards - sometimes marker pen ink takes on a funny shade when waxed.