UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2011, 7:09 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Another Bush Reborn

I did this little set as a test to see how long it would take to fully restore an average DAC90A to a high standard, as I have been asked to restore a couple.

This particular set is a later version, sporting a gold dial and perspex backed knobs.
The date on the smoothing cap is august 1956, amazingly, the DAC90A stayed in production until late 1959, being the most successful set Bush ever produced.

After a quick inspection I powered it up slowly via my variac and it crackled into life. Shortly after, I could hear the mains filter cap fizzing away, so switched it off quick!

On removal of the chassis, it was clear that no repairs had ever been done since new, a point to note here, the knobs are usually held on with grub screws accessed via two holes underneath the set, in this case, the knobs are of the pull off type.

After removing the dust with a paintbrush and vacuum, the chassis was cleaned using a rag wetted with WD40. The dial diffuser was removed and the light tray was given a good clean. The spewed mess that was the mains filter cap was removed, then time to tackle the re-capping.

These little sets are a joy to work on, all 10 waxies are easily accessed, most being on a tagstrip. I replaced all caps under the chassis with nice new ones, the resistors were checked at this point and all were within spec.

I then replaced the tone correction cap on top of the output transformer and replaced the mains filter cap with an X2 type, modifying the original clamp to hold the new cap in place.

All the valves had their pins cleaned, and the holders were given a dose of Servisol, along with the wavechange switch and volume pot.

I fitted new dial bulbs and refitted the diffuser. Then a drip of oil on the tuning pulleys, time to power up the chassis.

I ran it up via the variac, and all was well, this set really can rattle windows!

Leaving the chassis merrily playing away, I turned my attention to the cabinet. This was just a bit grubby, but no cracks or chips, it was cleaned using Fairy Liquid and cold water. It cleaned up well despite all the little paint spots that were gently scraped away using a fingernail.

The cabinet was left to dry, so on to the speaker grille. I have found Flash kitchen spray works wonder on these, gently scrubbed with an old toothbrush.

The knobs were cleaned with Fairy Liquid and cold water, the dial glass was very carefully cleaned, as the markings on the underside can easily come away.

The cabinet was then polished up with T-cut, then polished using neutral wax polish, the set was then reassembled, the knobs fitted and given a final polish with a soft duster.

Well, I can report that the total time taken was just under five hours from start to finish, and around £6 in new parts.

It really performs well, with plenty of volume, no hum at all, and the speaker on this set is perfect. The set really looks as good as it sounds, the only downside is some staining of the bottom of the dial but it is 55 years old!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	59747   Click image for larger version

Name:	d2.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	59748   Click image for larger version

Name:	d3.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	59749   Click image for larger version

Name:	d4.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	59750   Click image for larger version

Name:	d5.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	59751  

Old 12th Dec 2011, 7:11 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Another Bush Reborn

And the finished set....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	d6.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	59752   Click image for larger version

Name:	d7.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	59753   Click image for larger version

Name:	d8.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	59754   Click image for larger version

Name:	d9.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	59755   Click image for larger version

Name:	d10.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	59756  

Old 12th Dec 2011, 7:27 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Great work there
Certainly easier than the DAC90, I find those a bit fiddly with the tag strip mounted vertically. I think I spent something daft like 2 months on my DAC90! it was a mess though
I've set myself a task for the winter to rebuild a DAC90a from spare parts! Started with an empty case, then got the remains of a chassis thats been butchered for spares! The case looks good so far, and I threw the most disgusting chassis in history straight into the ultrasonic cleaner. Doesn't look as good as yours yet though!

regards,
Lloyd.
Old 12th Dec 2011, 8:19 pm   #4
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

That has come up well. Nice one

I don't know why but one of my DAC90As has a silverish loudspeaker grill rather than the usual gold. I can't see any damage to the coating so assume it is a variant but it is the only one I have ever seen.
Old 12th Dec 2011, 8:57 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Mint! Gerry Wells used claim 15 minutes to sort.

David
Old 12th Dec 2011, 9:44 pm   #6
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

Nice one Mark, well done.

cheers Mark
Old 12th Dec 2011, 9:47 pm   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

I am quite pleased with this set, it is still belting out 'gold' as I type. I wish all restorations were this easy

Quote:
Gerry Wells used claim 15 minutes to sort.
I don't think I could change more than half the caps in that time!

Quote:
I've set myself a task for the winter to rebuild a DAC90A from spare parts! Started with an empty case, then got the remains of a chassis thats been butchered for spares!
Well Josh, I have the same idea, mine has also been robbed of a few bits, and the cabinet is a bit more than cracked!
But I feel a custom paint job is in the offing......
Is yours really as bad as this?

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	deaddac1.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	59760   Click image for larger version

Name:	deaddac2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	59761   Click image for larger version

Name:	deaddac3.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	59762   Click image for larger version

Name:	deaddac4.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	59763   Click image for larger version

Name:	deaddac5.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	59764  

Old 13th Dec 2011, 12:11 am   #8
Ever-HMV
Retired Dormant Member

What a fantastic restoration I'm totally impressed!

I rarely restore the chassis cosmetically, although I'll happily spend ages on painting, polishing, cleaning and repairing the case etc.

Perhaps on my next restoration I'll have a go at the chassis too.

Rob
Old 13th Dec 2011, 11:54 am   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Hi Mark,no i couldnt change more than halve the caps either in that time!

David
Old 13th Dec 2011, 12:04 pm   #10
Jonster
Heptode

Nice, that's come up well and should give enjoyment for many years to come!
Old 13th Dec 2011, 12:55 pm   #11
SeanStevens
Octode

A very tidy restoration

I have two DAC90a (s) - one is SO LOUD it is shocking. The other is in terrible electrical condition and rather quiet. It is odd how they vary so much.

SEAN
Old 13th Dec 2011, 9:00 pm   #12
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

My first successful restoration was a brown DAC90a and agree that they are fantastic sets both to work on and in terms of performance.

I too have a desire for a smashed one that can be 'Customised.'

- Joe
Old 13th Dec 2011, 10:39 pm   #13
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Lovely job, Mark. I'm also impressed with how well the chassis looks after the WD40-and-rag treatment. Well done!

I haven't restored one of these but I did something close, an AC91 which has an autotransformer and short wave coverage. It's incredibly sensitive and sounds very nice. Pity the "Bush" brand has become so devalued, these were really high quality sets.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 14th Dec 2011, 10:22 am   #14
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
I haven't restored one of these but I did something close, an AC91 which has an autotransformer and short wave coverage. It's incredibly sensitive and sounds very nice.
Hi Phil, i have the console version (sug 3), I would like an ac91, i do have a real liking for bush sets, i never turn one down, even total wrecks!

I agree, they do vary in performance, i have five, this one has loads of volume & the best looking UL41 i have seen, it looks as new, none of the usual brown stains on the glass, i don't think this set has seen much use, it certainly shows that a full recapping works wonders.

Quote:
I too have a desire for a smashed one that can be 'Customised.'
Hi Joe, i have most of the bits i need to rebuild my wreck, but it will be modded to my own spec, as for the cabinet, i am thinking gloss black with a silver grille & knobs

Hopefully, there will be another success story soon, as i have a 1947 dac90 on the to do list.

Mark
Old 14th Dec 2011, 4:06 pm   #15
tedzed1
Hexode

Hello Mark, looks a cracking set now, wish I could get all my chassis looking like that.
Brilliant, Well Done.
Old 14th Dec 2011, 7:12 pm   #16
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
Well Josh, I have the same idea, mine has also been robbed of a few bits, and the cabinet is a bit more than cracked!
But I feel a custom paint job is in the offing......
Is yours really as bad as this?

Mark
Think you might have me mixed up with another forum member there My cabinet was cracked, but not anywhere near as bad as that! The chassis was beyond disgusting, it had gone dark brown!
So far I'm short of an output tx, speaker, aerial coils, dial bulbs, wavechange switch, back cover, dial and knobs Not too much to find! I do have a spare dial from a DAC90, which I could use, and I'm sure I could copy the knobs in resin or something. I'll have to find a picture of the chassis before I cleaned it, it really was yuck!
Good luck with the DAC90, the one I recently finished sounds great, they kick out far too much heat though.

Regards,
Lloyd.
Closed Thread