UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th Dec 2005, 8:07 pm   #1
Andrew c
Tetrode

Default Restored Roberts R800

Hello all this radio was purchased from a friend for a fiver on Xmas eve.After a couple of hours work it has come up almost mint. The chassis was ok
So just the case to work on with the chassis removed the case was scrubbed and polished all fixtures and fittings were cleaned. The grille had a horrible dent caused be a sharp object and some smaller ones these were removed by removing the grille and lightly tapping with a small brass hammer to remove the worst of the dent and a peace wood cut to a wedge was used to tap out the original impact. The sound on this radio is pretty poor because of the plastic loudspeaker used however this radio is very sensitive

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0227.JPG
Views:	579
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	2320   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0228.JPG
Views:	584
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	2321  
Old 27th Dec 2005, 8:25 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Restored Roberts R800

You've done an excellent job of that grille. Looking at the photos, you'd never know it had been damaged.

(Thanks for reposting this after the forum problems too).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 28th Dec 2005, 9:18 am   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Andy,

Thats brill, nice repair to the grille - Ive never attempted to repair a badly dented grille but Roberts are rapidly running out of new ones now (they ran out of R800 grilles and knobs a long time ago) but it looks like I may have to soon.

A bright red R800 was one of the first radios that I restored and theyre nice looking radios and despite having a relatively small speaker sound OK

Howard
Old 28th Dec 2005, 11:27 am   #4
avro
Heptode

Just how good a radio is the 800? How high does the FM band go up to?

I saw one for sale on eBay this week but I was not too sure about it so i did not bid.

Avro
Old 28th Dec 2005, 12:28 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Hello Avro,

Its VHF range is 88-104 MHz. Its the same size as an R900, one of Roberts best sounding radios imho, and so is one of Roberts largest radios but inside the R800 has a very much smaller loudspeaker than the later R900. Ive just played them side by side, the R900 has a bit more weight and is warmer sounding but the R800 is still good and clean sounding and it doesnt boom at all at high volume levels. The R800 has a single slide tone control, no separate bass and treble controls.

Personally I think the R800 is worth buying, it has both battery and built in mains power supply, its good looks are somewhat different from the other Roberts radios of its time (1982-1985) with its black metal tuning scale with the white print on the surface - beware of that having worn off. The only spare part available from Roberts for this model is the aerial so do get a good one !

Howard

Last edited by howard; 28th Dec 2005 at 12:52 pm.
Closed Thread