UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2008, 9:33 pm   #1
SeanMcK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Avo8 Mk3 ohms/100 circuit question

Hello
I just acquired a 'dead' one. I gave it a quick test on some voltages and they seem ok, however the ohms/100 is dead. A look inside shows that the 9ohm resistor has been cooked (R32 or V depending on which circuit diagram is used )

Ok I know I wont be able to get the actual resistor but I can start by getting close the the value. My concern is choosing the correct wattage.
Does anyone know the specified wattage of this resistor. The manual I have for the Mk3 shows the old wound wire resistors where as this meter has the more modern axial lead resistors. Also I have one circuit diagram which shows a pair of diode in parallel with this resistor and reverse biased with repect to one another.

Why are these diodes there?

Having seen the cooked resistor I cant help but wonder if they are some over volt bypass for the resistor.
Thanks

Last edited by Darren-UK; 29th Sep 2008 at 10:03 pm. Reason: To accord with Forum Rules.
Old 30th Sep 2008, 10:32 pm   #2
SPCh
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Avo8 Mk3 ohms/100 circuit question

Okay; it's not as profound as it seems.

I don't know the "official" wattage spec of the 9 ohm resistor, but in normal use (about 80mA loop current) it should not carry more than about 60 mW. The two reverse diode pairs (BY124s all) are a protection against overload to ensure that the fuse blows before the movement is damaged. They will kick in at a loop current of about 160mA, i.e. when the movement is driven at about twice full scale - so when measuring the "resistance" of a 1.4 volt source (I think we can assume where the designers 'were coming from'). They won't offer much protection against measuring the resistance of the mains !

If you replace the resistor with almost anything 9 ohms, and the quad-diode pack, the meter will work quite happily if you treat it with respect. There's a (highly unofficial) mod if you want to protect it against serious abuse. It's also a good idea to down-rate the fuse from 1 amp to 250 or even 150 mA !
Closed Thread