UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2008, 7:53 pm   #1
ASH4INFO
Retired Dormant Member

Default Avo Valve tester malfunction

I wonder if anyone can give me a start on this problem: my Avo valve tester (model with sloping front controls and valve bases under the top lid) has not been used for some time (couple of years), but now when I switch on the meter needle rises only to the 4 mA mark and can not be adjusted to the right '~' mark, as required prior to doing a valve test.

I notice also something that may be normal, but I cant see why it should be: I checked to see whether the tester was delivering the correct filament/heater voltage to a valve that I wanted to test. So I put my voltmeter (30k ohms/volt) into the two appropriate pin positions on the valve base (without the valve being in place) and was surprised to see a reading of 80 VAC, which stays the same even with the filament switch settings being put back to zero.

Any help much appreciated.
Old 8th Sep 2008, 11:05 am   #2
cougar_lou
Tetrode

Default Re: Avo Valve tester malfunction

You must give us the Model number in order that we might be able to assist you.

Brian G
Old 8th Sep 2008, 11:38 am   #3
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH4INFO View Post

I notice also something that may be normal, but I cant see why it should be: I checked to see whether the tester was delivering the correct filament/heater voltage to a valve that I wanted to test. So I put my voltmeter (30k ohms/volt) into the two appropriate pin positions on the valve base (without the valve being in place) and was surprised to see a reading of 80 VAC, which stays the same even with the filament switch settings being put back to zero.
30KOhms per volt ( probably 15KOhms per volt on AC ranges) is a very high impedance especially on a range which could measure 80 VAC.

It's possible that this voltage is induced and for some reason the heater circuit is not connected properly. It could be a switch contact, or a loose wire or the transformer.

As Brian says, it's easier to give advice if you can say which model it is.

However, I think it will be a case of getting the circuit diagram and working through the circuit systematically, cleaning switch contacts and checking everything.

Pete.
Old 8th Sep 2008, 11:03 pm   #4
ASH4INFO
Retired Dormant Member

Brian G and Pete - thanks for response. I can find no model number; is there somewhere not obvious I should look. Unfortunately the panel on the back is missing - maybe it would be there? The instruction/operation manual which I think is original with the unit suggests a date of 1952 - perhaps that indicates the model.

Thanks Tony H
Old 8th Sep 2008, 11:13 pm   #5
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

The easiest way is to look at some piccies and decide which yours is closest to.

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/avotesters.html

It doesn't cover the VCM163, but that one has 2 meters, so is quite distinctive.

Then check the BAMA site to see if you can find the manual. There are other sites but BAMA has a few AVO manuals.

Pete.
Old 10th Sep 2008, 9:00 pm   #6
ASH4INFO
Retired Dormant Member

Pete - thanks for that link. So, its a MK1/2 unit. I wonder if that helps -is this a known failure mode?

Tony H
Old 10th Sep 2008, 10:47 pm   #7
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Wait and see what others come up with, but I don't think you are going to get a reply along the lines of, "It's obviously component X, which you can replace with RS part 123-4567".

Search this forum site for AVO valve tester problems.

Search the WWW for "AVO valve tester MKII/2".

My googling found this

http://www.jacmusic.com/Tube-testers/index.html

which is very complementary towards the MKII and also includes the operator's manual, as does BAMA. The jacmusic site is very interesting as regards valve testers altogether.

I couldn't find a service manual for the MKII, although I didn't try very hard, but the op manual includes a cct diagram. Maybe the op manual and service manual are combined - I didn't look too closely.

I think you are going to have to do some detective work to track down this fault. However, you said that it hasn't been used for a couple of years. If it's been stored in a garage or loft where it could have become damp, it would be an idea to leave it in an airing cupboard or similar place for a week or so to make sure it's properly dry before further troubleshooting.

Pete.
Closed Thread