UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2021, 6:58 pm   #1
dsergeant
Octode

Default Pye P28

I think this is a P28, the model number is not readable on the label but the front certainly matches online images. Not done much yet as I cannot get the chassis out because I can't shift the control knobs. Can't see any screws, they look as if they should just pull off but nothing shifts them.

And I seem to have lost my VRTVS DVD, managed to get the service sheet from the old three CD set I still have. Maybe Paul will have some money winging his way for the latest one.

Any tips welcome.

Dave
Old 13th Nov 2021, 11:43 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye P28

Hi
They do pull off but can be very tight
If you can get some string behind them pulling the string may work.
Unscrewing the chassis and levering it back may also work. A spray with WD40 on the control shafts also helps, you'll get better access if you push the loosened chassis a bit forward
Old 14th Nov 2021, 12:23 am   #3
Andrewausfa
Octode

Yes the knobs can be tight. Actually I had the same issue last night on a Pye 18A, gave the wave change knob a firm pull and it came off in my hand, unfortunately leaving the stem on the control shaft. Ooops!

Andrew
Old 16th Nov 2021, 5:50 pm   #4
dsergeant
Octode

Thanks for the tips. In the end I resorted to using the claw of claw hammer and levering them off with that. Worked well, only the shaft on the volume one pulled out of the pot...

Not done any measurements yet and suspect the main smoother needs a bit of loving care and attention but already found a fault. While cleaning the dust and debris out with the vacuum I realised that quite a lot of it was the cone of the speaker. Indeed it has totally decomposed and I am just left with a dangling and broken voice coil. Anybody know the impedance?

Dave
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 6:44 pm   #5
dsergeant
Octode

I am making progress. After liberal use of switch cleaner on the switches, pots and valve bases and use of a temporary speaker I can receive a weak R4 on long wave (few feet of wire as antenna). Started to do some measurements and realised there were 5 valves and not the 4 which the P28 has. So it is not a P28, what is it?

Visually from front looks like P28, LW/MW/3xSW and with the odd switched tone control.
Valve line up ECH35, EF39, EBC33, EL33, AZ31

Dave
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 6:52 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Picture?

There are a few Pyes with that lineup!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 11:02 am   #7
dsergeant
Octode

The layout and chassis seem identical to the 19D/P38/T19 but a five band version instead of the 8 bands of that chassis. Model number unreadable on label but seems to start with a P. Have the 19D manual from our DVD so that should get me going.

Pictures attached - the front is the P28 from Radio Museum but is what I have.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p28_223814.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	247182   Click image for larger version

Name:	pye1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	247183   Click image for larger version

Name:	pye2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	247184  

Last edited by dsergeant; 3rd Dec 2021 at 11:16 am.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 12:11 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Looks like an interesting challenge! Is the cabinet in a similar state?

Maybe it's one of the export or Irish versions Pye made.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 2:27 pm   #9
dsergeant
Octode

Cabinet is in reasonable condition. Broke one of the knobs getting them off but that is all. As I said earlier most of the dust I vacuumed out was the speaker cone...
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 12:55 pm   #10
dsergeant
Octode

Well took a little while but I got there, now working nicely. Apart from one cap which was damaged and replaced and a clean of all the switches and pots it was electrically fine. Found a suitable 8 inch speaker to replace the damaged one. I needed to work out a means of fitting it as the new one had no mounting holes, I ended up using little cable clamps which did a pretty good job of fixing it, see pic. The rear shell though was a bit bigger and fouled against the output transformer - cured by moving the transformer a quarter of an inch down the chassis, there just happened to be a couple of suitable unused holes in the right place (maybe it had options of two types of transformer, who knows) and then it just fitted.

The knob on the volume control disintegrated on removal and that on the tone control had a bit broken off it. Got a couple of suitable knobs off eBay. Result as shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pye4.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	248927   Click image for larger version

Name:	pye5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	248928  
Closed Thread