UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2021, 7:06 am   #1
Barnjet
Pentode

Default Armstrong Jubilee Mark 2 tuner/amp - general advice

I am not at all familiar with Armstrong tuner/amps. It has been installed into a home-made cabinet, with no obvious means of access to the chassis or components, other than what can be got at through the back. It looks like I would have to damage the cabinet to get the chassis out. It also weighs a ton! I've never come across a unit so heavy before.

A previous owner has marked one of the components "No M/L wave". And I can't see how the current cabinet installation would provide adequate ventilation? At this early stage, I am wondering if it is worth restoring?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9841.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	244582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9813.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	244583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9815.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	244586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9816.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	244587  
Old 30th Oct 2021, 11:05 am   #2
Simon Gittins
Heptode

Default Re: Armstrong Jubilee Mark 2 tuner/amp - general advice

https://www.service-data.com/product.php/338/639/m10338
In your second photo, two screws can be seen at either side fixing the chassis to the wood base. It may be that all you need to do is remove these and the knobs (may have grub screws). The service data says there are four fixing holes, if someone managed to get screws into the front two then extracting could be a challenge!
I think the message means that Medium and Long wave aren't working for some reason. Plugs with sleeved pins were introduced in 1984 so it may have been in use fairly recently.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 11:30 am   #3
Barnjet
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Gittins View Post
https://www.service-data.com/product.php/338/639/m10338
In your second photo, two screws can be seen at either side fixing the chassis to the wood base. It may be that all you need to do is remove these and the knobs (may have grub screws). The service data says there are four fixing holes, if someone managed to get screws into the front two then extracting could be a challenge!
I think the message means that Medium and Long wave aren't working for some reason. Plugs with sleeved pins were introduced in 1984 so it may have been in use fairly recently.
Thanks Simon, good points

Max
Old 30th Oct 2021, 5:31 pm   #4
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi Barnjet

Some information on this here:

http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/makers/Ar...Mk2/index.html

It looks quite an attractive unit, and well worth restoring. A plus point is that it covers the full FM band up to 108 MHz, so no modification needed for present day stations. Nothing too unconventional about the circuit, so should be possible to get AM working again.

I agree about the inadequate ventilation. Thie minimalist approach would be to cut a rounded square hole in the top of the case and fit some expanded metal mesh over it from the inside. Might be a good idea to connect this to the chassis, and then fit a 3 core mains lead with earth to chassis.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 5:54 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It most certainly is worth restoring! This well built unit has everything on it for great Mono radio, record player and tape/iPhone sound. The 10 watt amplifier has Baxendall type tone controls and I well remember hearing these when they were new. It will form the basis of the great system. But do get it out of that heat hogging cabinet ASAP! I fear both the transformers will have absorbed much heat from this multi-valved chassis in that confined area.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 6:12 pm   #6
Barnjet
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 1936 View Post
Hi Barnjet

Some information on this here:

http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/makers/Ar...Mk2/index.html

It looks quite an attractive unit, and well worth restoring. A plus point is that it covers the full FM band up to 108 MHz, so no modification needed for present day stations. Nothing too unconventional about the circuit, so should be possible to get AM working again.

I agree about the inadequate ventilation. Thie minimalist approach would be to cut a rounded square hole in the top of the case and fit some expanded metal mesh over it from the inside. Might be a good idea to connect this to the chassis, and then fit a 3 core mains lead with earth to chassis.
Very helpful, thanks

Max
Old 7th Nov 2021, 11:51 am   #7
Barnjet
Pentode

A fellow forum member has recently done me a very good turn, and so I have gifted him this set in gratitude. He is keenly looking forward to restoring it.
Old 7th Nov 2021, 3:45 pm   #8
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi folks, I am the lucky recipient of the Armstrong Jubilee Mk2. I have extracted the chassis and begun to take a look. I also have a copy of the manufacturer's manual including circuit. Interestingly (to me, anyway) there are some significant differences from the circuit, all of which are without doubt original. The AM detector diode in the circuit also provides AGC whereas in my example there is a third OA81 diode providing AGC. The AM detector diode in mine is also followed by different value components. I'll sketch what I find and post it later. Maybe I've got a Jubilee Mk 2 and a half..... The push-pull ECL82 output valves have their cathodes strapped to chassis and are provided with fixed negative grid bias from an OA81 diode via a 6.8k/100k potential divider across one of the 205v ac HT windings, so sourcing 13v ac. The diode is open circuit and I was thinking of replacing it with a 1N4148. The grid current should be very low. Any issues with that? A few Wima humbug caps to deal with. Cheers, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1080476.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	245237   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080475.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	245238  
Old 7th Nov 2021, 5:02 pm   #9
cathoderay57
Nonode

Here's the sketch of the AM detector/AGC that differs from the manufacturer's circuit. Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Armstrong Jubilee Mk2 Det.pdf (39.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 8th Nov 2021, 2:43 pm   #10
cathoderay57
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
The OA81 diode is open circuit and I was thinking of replacing it with a 1N4148. The grid current should be very low. Any issues with that?
I found an answer elsewhere on the Forum https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=49806. In fact all three OA81s are o/c. The loss of 0.5v or so needs to be considered for all 3:
Negative grid bias for push-pull ECL82s: Probably OK?
AGC: OK.
AM Detector: Not sure if this is going to affect audio level noticeably. There appears to be bags of gain with half an ECC85 pre-amp prior to the phase splitter, and an 8W output, so I suspect not noticeable.
Any comments?
Jerry
Old 8th Nov 2021, 4:40 pm   #11
cathoderay57
Nonode

The FM discriminator circuit is slightly different on mine from that shown in the circuit diagram. The EB91 diode output load resistors are each 10x the value shown, now 27k, and, instead of the single 4uF electrolytic, mine has two 25uF capacitors connected in series with the centre point earthed. See sketch. Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Armstrong Jubilee AM_FM Dets.pdf (63.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 8th Nov 2021, 6:11 pm   #12
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi folks, I've worked my way through cap replacement and tomorrow will try to reform the 2 main electrolytics. Meanwhile, my knowledge is rather sketchy with the detailed functioning of FM circuits. If they work reasonably I tend to leave well alone. This circuit employs two ECC85s. The first one is the FM front end which appears to be fairly standard using V1a as RF amplifier and V1b as mixer/oscillator. However, can somebody please explain what V6a is doing? V6b (not shown in the extract) is clearly the AF pre-amp. Cheers, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Extract.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	245338  
Old 8th Nov 2021, 9:50 pm   #13
PJL
Dekatron

RF amplifier? bit difficult to tell without seeing the rest of the circuit.
Old 8th Nov 2021, 10:54 pm   #14
cathoderay57
Nonode

Unfortunately, posting the whole circuit breaks the rules. If it helps, the 2 wires going to the grid of V6a via R9 & R8 comprise:
1. DC negative grid bias from the fixed bias rail.
2. A feedback output from the FM detector diodes.
Clearly the output at the anode of V6a is fed via C14, L6 and L5 to the grid of V1b.
Makes me wonder whether it is some form of amplified AGC for FM?
Old 9th Nov 2021, 9:35 am   #15
cathoderay57
Nonode

Further, I've found a couple of errors in the circuit, also in the above clip. The resistor top right should be labelled as R11 (label missing). It provides a directly-coupled feed from the FM detector. As drawn this signal wouldn't do anything because the end of R11 is shorted to chassis. The actual circuit has got a 0.1uF decoupling cap between the end of R11 and chassis, instead of the s/c. Jerry
Old 9th Nov 2021, 9:53 am   #16
Trevor
Octode

AFC control
Old 9th Nov 2021, 2:29 pm   #17
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Also unusual to see an ECC85 in a Pre-Amp/Stage. Its biasing will need some attention.
Old 9th Nov 2021, 4:32 pm   #18
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes the 'odd' triode is being used as a reactance valve across the local oscillator tuned circuit to provide AFC.
Old 9th Nov 2021, 4:59 pm   #19
cathoderay57
Nonode

Aha, AFC, that makes sense. Thank you very much! I should have been tuned into that idea (forgive the pun) since there is a similar principle used in my other current project, the McMichael 802 motor-tuned set, to correct mechanical mis-tuning arising from imprecise rotor disk position. Re: biasing the second half (AF) ECC85, the set provides fixed bias derived from a diode circuit. The manual states -0.6v on the grid, measured with an Avo 8 on 10v dc range so at least I'll be able to check it, allowing for a bit more negative volts using a DVM. Cheers, Jerry
Old 9th Nov 2021, 10:43 pm   #20
cathoderay57
Nonode

This afternoon I tested the HT smoothers. These are two aluminium can 50+50uF 350v caps. All reformed acceptably (leakage current <2.5mA) except the second smoother which started to reform, leakage went progressively down to 2.9mA then it started rising. When it got to 4mA and was still going up I abandoned ship and have disconnected it and soldered in a radial replacement beneath the chassis. Will power up tomorrow and see if the set makes any noise. Cheers, Jerry
Closed Thread