UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2021, 8:55 am   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Ekco AC86 chrome!

I am restoring an Ekco AC 86 purchased at Warwick. the black and chrome one ,two questions, how shiny was the finish on the knobs, and trims , and has anyone found a suitable speaker cloth ,thanks . Mick.
Old 28th Sep 2021, 10:16 am   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco AC86 chrome!

Well, chrome is chrome, it was and is used due to it's extremely shiny nature. Saying that, unless it is badly tarnished or pitted, personally I would live with it. Not just that but getting parts rechromed, especially if they're mazac, is very difficult. The knob caps might be easier but you'd have to safely remove them etc, all in all, not an easy job.
Old 28th Sep 2021, 2:42 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Thanks Steve I have someone that can plate aluminium and mazac no problem, I soaked the two smaller knobs and the caps came away easy ,the tuning knob bright was removed after soaking by tapping a spindle in the hole it will break the small piece of Bakelite that's left and push out the chrome cap ,now were they dull or bright originally? I think I will go for shiny , Mick.
Old 28th Sep 2021, 3:01 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
Thanks Steve I have someone that can plate aluminium and mazac no problem, I soaked the two smaller knobs and the caps came away easy ,the tuning knob bright was removed after soaking by tapping a spindle in the hole it will break the small piece of Bakelite that's left and push out the chrome cap ,now were they dull or bright originally? I think I will go for shiny , Mick.
I don't think there were 'varieties' of chrome back then, no black chrome, no satin chrome etc, so yes, I'd go bright chrome.
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 10:24 pm   #5
dakster
Tetrode

Ben Dijkman has a suitable grille cloth for black/chrome Ekco sets.
I’d be extremely wary of sending those parts to a plater, for fear of damage or loss.
Old 4th Oct 2021, 3:59 pm   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakster View Post
Ben Dijkman has a suitable grille cloth for black/chrome Ekco sets.
I’d be extremely wary of sending those parts to a plater, for fear of damage or loss.
Hi do you have a bad experience then! , our man has been 100% to date , cheers Mick.
Old 4th Oct 2021, 4:29 pm   #7
dakster
Tetrode

If you have a good plater you know and trust that’s ok.
Closed Thread