UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2012, 1:04 pm   #1
stevekendal
Heptode

Default Rexine or Vynide?

I have some Dansettes to recover, but to use Rexine or Vynide and paper backed or cloth? I know where I can get some "Rexine", but the seller says it doesn't have backing. Might this be suitable? Steve.
Old 24th Aug 2012, 9:36 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Rexine or Vynide?

If it's genuine Rexine, then it won't need a backing. Attach to the case with PVA adhesive. I've done quite a few. Be careful that whatever you buy, it isn't too thick, because if it is, when you re-assemble the case, the lid hinges and catches won't close properly. Paper backed is very thin and works fine, as the PVA gives it added strength, but you have to be careful when doing the corners, as once it sticks to itself, it tears very easily when you try to peel it back.

I think probably paper-backed is probably your best bet, though, as it will be the nearest to the original. Dansette coverings were not exactly renowned for quality!

Barry
Old 27th Aug 2012, 10:24 am   #3
stevekendal
Heptode

Seller has offered a sample of this non-backed stuff. We'll see what it looks like and I'll report back.
Old 27th Aug 2012, 3:05 pm   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

As Barry says, the closer the visual match the better.

Much depends on how much wear/scuffing it is likely to suffer. Paper backed are not really durable. Vynide is softer, spongier and stretches a bit (it also uses a stretchable nylon/Terylene woven backing) but more readily 'tears' on its surface. Genuine cotton-backed Rexine is very tough, but doesn't stretch.

Barry
(the other one!)
Closed Thread