UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2009, 5:53 pm   #1
David Goodall
Pentode

Default AVO All Wave Oscillator

I have a hunch that my AVO is not working properly. I have an output. The problem I think, is that I can't adjust the output level with the multiplier and output slide wire control. How would you test it ? I have a scope.
Old 24th May 2009, 6:24 pm   #2
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: AVO All Wave Oscillator

Hello David,
Do you have the Handbook ? Cant remember if I obtained mine as a free download off this site or BAMA.
If you experience trouble downloading it, let me have your email address in a PM, and I'll try & send you a pdf attachment.
Sounds like a dodgy switch.

Regards, David
Old 24th May 2009, 6:49 pm   #3
David Goodall
Pentode

Thanks David. Yes, I do have the manual. Hope it's not the switch ! I think the best thing I can do, is plug it into the scope and report back what I see. I'm a bit of a novice, so it may even be working properly !
Old 24th May 2009, 8:50 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Probably best to put a 56ohm resistor across the 'scope input to load the generator output. If the generator output is calibrated in volts or millivolts, the figures should be roughly equal to 1/3 of the peak to peak voltage on the 'scope. (1/(2*root2) to be precise)

Chris
Old 24th May 2009, 9:06 pm   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

David, Set your scope's "Yamp"'s mV/Div to 5mV, and your Osc to x10 & 500micro-volts, at say 500hz. Then set your scope's t/base to 2mS, and you should be seeing some nice sinewaves. Use the "fine" controls on your scope to ge a steady display, then change your Osc to x100, and see if you need to adjust your scope's Yamp accordingly.
Have you got a bnc connector(same as on the scope's i/p) on your osc ? Or just the old-fashioned crock clips on the end of a lead ?
Each x10 change in Ocs o/p & freq should be correspondingly matched by changing your scope's mV/Div & timebase to maintain a sinewave within a chosen cm square, or number of squares on the graticule. If you have a double beam scope - feed a signal of known freq & amplitude(internal 1Khz calib.?) into Y1, and the Osc into Y2 and compare.
I think that the internal oscillator's(V1) max o/p is actually 1V, and is then attenuated down to less than 500microvolts by the switch & pot. You'll need the scope's probe & crock clip to carry out tests internally. Be careful.

Regards, David
Old 25th May 2009, 6:39 pm   #6
David Goodall
Pentode

O.K. All is now well. The range switch was to blame on range 5. All checked out well on the scope. Thank you for the guidance David.