UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2019, 2:43 am   #41
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: Who's still using their old Safebloc?

I've got one I haven't used for years which is used very occasionally. Still wouldn't be without it though.

Regards,
Paul
Old 25th May 2019, 8:36 am   #42
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Hello.
It is a long time since I last used the one I have. It is red and has RS on the the Top.

Kevin
Old 25th May 2019, 9:00 pm   #43
thermionic
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post

One odd thing about the Keynector (at least mine) is that the neon is connected between live (line, whatever) and _earth_. It doesn't pass enough current to trip an RCD, and I guess this warns against an L-N swap on the incoming mains.
I have one of those, but never realised that the neon was connected in this way! I’ll have to dig it out and have a look!

Thanks. SimonT.

Well, I’ve found it and had a look.... the neon in mine is wired between line & neutral, and appears to be original without any sign of modification.

I wonder if they changed the spec during its production run? Interesting......
It was manufactured by ‘Cybernaut Controls’ of
Kent, but I can’t find any information on this company.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89C13B2B-5CA5-4E5A-9A95-86112FB213F4.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	183848   Click image for larger version

Name:	98AC0D84-602B-45E6-9299-ADADCC5B4E93.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	183849  

Last edited by thermionic; 25th May 2019 at 9:07 pm. Reason: Extra info
Old 25th May 2019, 9:12 pm   #44
Techman
Dekatron

I'm certainly still using mine, plus the less safe home made version as can be seen in the photo. The cheap rubber plugs fitted to them both at the time are not ideal, and the one on the home made block has the insert pulled out of the base, hence the remains of the red tape which used to hold it together. Latterly, I found it more useful to have it with a quick removable plug top for quick fuse changing (I blew quite a few), the plug top doesn't pull completely off when removing it from the socket due to it being of the type that the cable has to be threaded through before connecting to the plug terminals. Having something like this is NOT to be recommended to others on safety grounds - it's a case of "do as I say", and not as I do! Also, the toggle switch has had its contacts welded permanently in the 'on' position due to something going 'bang' (probably more than a few times) on switch on many years ago...I ought to get round to replacing that switch some time, and the plug, I hear you say!

It also seems that I still have the original box for the proper Safeblock. This has survived due to it being used as a box to keep a lot of random diodes and bridge rectifiers in - there's a paper label stuck on the top of it with Sellotape indicating its contents, the tape having now aged will probably come off quite easily now, thus leaving the box as original should I want to keep it as a collectors item

The white ribbed cable on both of them came from the same drum, possibly sometime in the early to mid 70s. Notice how mucky the cable is on the home made 'danger-block' compared to the same cable on the Safeblock, that has to tell you something about which one has had the most use over the years
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1120804.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	183850  
Old 25th May 2019, 11:05 pm   #45
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

I bought my Safebloc from RS back in the early 1980s and in the past it had regular use but is still used occasionally these days and I find it very useful. I haven't mounted mine to the bench, it is just connected via 3 core cable to a 13A plug. I periodically remove the base cover to inspect the connections and cord grip and so far no problems.
I've also acquired a NOS one from the local car boot for £1, I'll probably mount that to the bench once I've rebuilt my workshop.

Regards,
Symon
Old 25th May 2019, 11:13 pm   #46
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Great bit of kit and use mine a lot.

A word of caution. If mounted as mine is on the front of the bench, it is only too easy to close the door while working on the chassis. I have done this a number of times fortunately without receiving a shock! The same applies if mounted on the bench top. The lid can snap shut. Always open it up fully to lessen the risk.

I also admit to owning and using those lovely crocodile clips with a Clix plug on the end .. Very useful for overriding mains switches etc and connecting odd receiver connectors to the mains. Of course you have to wear your sensible hat while using.

I also have a high regard for the 5amp Clix plug. Good solid contact and can be yanked out in a second should anything start to overheat. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Safebloc (1).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	183852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Safebloc (2).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	183853  
Old 26th May 2019, 5:25 am   #47
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Cables with mains plug to croc-clips were generally called 'suicide leads' at one place I worked. Very useful, but you had to hide them when the safety officer was doing his checks (FWIW he knew they existed but couldn't oficially complain about them if he didn't see them...)

A friend of mine made his own safebloc-a-like using croc-clips fixed inside a sliding-lid wooden box (I think originally a cigar box). He fitted a double pole switch to isolate said clips and the clever part was he arranged things so that the lid could only be sild open if the switch was off. It woudn't pass an offiical safety inspection but it was a bit safer than a lot of such things.
Old 26th May 2019, 8:37 am   #48
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Cables with mains plug to croc-clips were generally called 'suicide leads' at one place I worked.
Ha ha!! Back in 1970 when I started work for a small family-run TV and radio business, the engineer was a Goon fan and called them 'boot exploders'. It was the result of having trodden on one that had questionable insulation and the resultant bang and burning rubber smell gave them their name....! As for the safety officer coming round......what was a safety officer....?? Those were the days....!!

I didn't get to use a Safebloc until I started working for Philips in Purley Way a few years later and marvelled at their simplicity and function. Naturally the Philips workshop complied with and exceeded current safety standards and all benches also had the wonder of the isolation transformer...something else that had been lacking in my previous job.

Last edited by Sideband; 26th May 2019 at 8:42 am.
Old 26th May 2019, 10:44 am   #49
vidjoman
Dekatron

I’ve got 3 original style Safeblocks one must date back to the late 50’s/early 60’s. The bottom cover got smashed after about 2 years and replaced with stout cardboard which is still there. I have a collection of odd leads to fit a variety of radios, TV and hifi without mains plugs so I use the Safeblocks to connect them.
Old 26th May 2019, 11:25 am   #50
Refugee
Dekatron

I have never understood why they bothered with that thin backing plate.
They aught to have just put an instruction to screw them down.
Both of mine have been screwed to bits of wood from when I acquired them.
Old 26th May 2019, 1:13 pm   #51
mickm3for
Heptode

one of my safeblocks the one in use has the pin in the hinge removed so the cover can be removed so cannot be closed by accident no chances taken here Mick
Old 26th May 2019, 1:37 pm   #52
hannahs radios
Hexode

Hi yes ive got a safeblock although mine hasn't got a neon lamp on it its is definitely one of the most useful things to have as its easy to test stuff as others have said. I use mine via an RCD just in case its better to be safe than sorry. The lid on mine wont fully close unless given a definite push which is also a good thing
Old 26th May 2019, 2:21 pm   #53
electronicskip
Nonode

I have a couple of Safeblocs from my old days at Rumbelows when we used them to wire multiple TVs and videos for demonstration.

I occasionally use one to test out bits n bobs .
Old 26th May 2019, 5:13 pm   #54
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I still use my faithfull old Safeboc, now mounted on a wooden block as part of a lamp limiter.
Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1815 (Large).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	183913  
Old 26th May 2019, 5:20 pm   #55
chriswood1900
Octode

My old Bakelite one still comes out occasionally although I tend to fit plugs more often now than I did in the past.
Chris
Old 24th Jun 2019, 11:02 am   #56
BK0scillation
Triode

Hello yes I have two of these, one as the Keynector version and the other is by Rendar I believe. One is permanently connected to a 1 kVA Isolating transformer, just makes mains fault finding a little safer, and the other for general use. Whoever thought them up had a great idea they must have been about since the late 60's as I remember using one, also with a repaired cover, as an apprentice with the Ever Ready Company in East London.
Old 24th Jun 2019, 2:55 pm   #57
Reelman
Octode

Bull’s Electrical of Croydon and later Hove produced a kit in the 80s to make a form of “Safeblock”. Used a microswitch to remove power when making connections but was easy to override by accident. Still got mine somewhere. Anybody else build one?

Peter
Old 24th Jun 2019, 6:55 pm   #58
mole42uk
Nonode

One of mine was used yesterday.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 24th Jun 2019, 7:41 pm   #59
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Has anyone seen one of these? The only identification on the moulding is: TG13533 MK-2. Telephone, military?

It is a 2amp 3pin plug with easy connect push button wire retainers. [No earth]

John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2 amp quick connector (1).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	185618   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 amp quick connector (2).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	185619   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 amp quick connector (3).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	185620  
Old 24th Jun 2019, 10:34 pm   #60
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Anybody else build one?
Yes, see my homemade one along with the proper one shown back in post #44.

Below is a photo I've just this minute taken of my homemade one in use with a couple of test leads supplying mains to the rear connectors of a Rigonda radiogram that's in for repair. It's easier to do it this way as the proper mains connector comes off with the back panel on these. I could use bare ended wires with croc clips on the other to fit in the proper Safebloc, but I already have test leads with 4mm plugs on one end and croc clips on the other for use with Avometers etc., so I always use these and the terminal block for jobs like this. I do often stick a bit of cardboard between and over them to prevent shorts from them being pulled together while I'm working.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1120903.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	185627  
Closed Thread