UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2019, 1:03 pm   #1
roadstah
Retired Dormant Member

Default Siemens Schuckertwerke desk fan - motor rewinding advice?

Hello vintage-radio

I got this little Siemens-Schuckert desk fan as my first project. I opened it and the power cord was not the factory one but an older restoration. The replacement power cord had the old black/red colour wires and had been attached to the original motor cables, which as you can see are not in the best nick. Whoever did it had bypassed one of the switch contacts to earth the fan, so I only had two speeds rather than three.

While the original German plug has 220-250v printed on it, I don’t know if the same applies to the motor. I checked the motor and the winding is burnt on one side (the rest is fine). Can it be restored? I’d quite like it to work rather than become a fancy ornament, since I intend to install a new cable and plug.

I think rewinding a motor may be beyond my ken as a beginner collector, but I’m willing to learn if someone can point me the right direction, or suggest a professional to deal with the motor?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190430_073659.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	182548   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190430_073644.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	182549   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190430_073848.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	182550   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190430_073716.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	182551  
Old 6th May 2019, 8:02 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Siemens Schuckertwerke desk fan - motor rewinding advice?

Hi, these can be a pain to rewind, but are not difficult, only time consuming.
The wire is easily obtainable, but you will need around to make a saddle shaped former to wind round. The winding then needs taping with a suitable insulating tape (much better ones are now available than the fabric type shown on the pictures.

Ed
Old 6th May 2019, 8:46 pm   #3
John_BS
Octode

It's a bit confusing to work out what's going on from the photos, but I think the circular coil shown above the red circular gasket in photo 1 might be a wire dropper resistor? (used to control the speed?). In which case the main windings might be fine?

John
Old 6th May 2019, 9:12 pm   #4
roadstah
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Ed
Here is a pic of the back of the fan (other side) showing the main winding. I believe it's fine.

John, you might be right, the burnt wire could be an old type of resistor. You probably can't tell from the picture but the burnt part has three wires coming off it into the main power cable so it might be for the speed.

Is there some literature available on replacing this type of resistor? Or perhaps a professional I can get in touch with? While I know a bit about replacing cables I'm not a electrician!

I'll do some better pictures when I'm home later if needed.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190430_073915.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	182597  
Closed Thread