UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2019, 5:20 pm   #1
Cobaltblue

Default PYE Music Box

I have had one of these for many years and it really needs the music box looking at but I was afraid to try and take it apart for fear of damaging it.

For anyone not come across them before its the low tech way to provide a hold jingle whilst the shop keep goes to see if Mrs Jones Telly is fixed yet and provide advertising in the shop. They are great little items.

Another appeared recently where it was obvious someone had already got in

So now at least I know how it was put together

I have never been very good with clocks and the like so was looking for some tips.

I will try to sort this one first and if successful see if I can restore the other one.

This one seems to have a broken spring probably over wound my other on works fine but its a bit sticky and reluctant to start and play possibly gummed up somewhere.

I would suspect its a pretty common movement who knows I might be able to get a different tune as far as I know these all play D'ye ken John Peel

All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-04-10 at 17.03.40.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	181179   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-04-10 at 17.03.54.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	181180  
Old 10th Apr 2019, 7:06 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: PYE Music Box

The first rule of musical box movements is much the same as the first rule of spring-driven clocks : Do NOT dismantle anything if the spring is (or even 'may be') wound.

If you remove the 'fly' (the little 'fan' driven by a worm gear) with the spring wound then the thing will attempt to run at a ridiculous speed. This will damage the comb (the set of tuned resonant fingers) and possibly the pins in the barrel. Repinning a barrel is a very long and difficult job!

If you want to take things apart, remove the comb first. But note that the position of the comb affects the tone so you will have to do a lot of trial and error when you put it back.

Arthur Ord-Hume's book on restoring musical boxes is well worth reading if you can find it.

Musical movements are available and you might find something that will fit the case (to me that movement looks like a standard one). Hobbies of West Norwood do some, for example :

https://hobby.uk.com/musical-movemen...lists.html?p=1
Old 11th Apr 2019, 7:46 am   #3
Cobaltblue

Thanks for the tips and link Tony

I guess the advantage of replacing the movement is the chance to get a different tune

I notice John Peel is still there.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 11th Apr 2019, 10:49 am   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

Popularly used in jewellery boxes, you may be lucky at antiquey or charity type shops.
Closed Thread