UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2019, 3:39 pm   #1
Techman
Dekatron

Default Valor type EV2 electric heater

Due to an expected interruption in the gas supply in this area during the coming week, which could be for a day or more, I decided to crawl into the furthest, deepest and darkest corner of the loft yesterday to retrieve my Valor EV2 electric convector heater. I haven't had it running for many years, so took it outside to blow the dust and muck from it.

The problem I always remembered with this heater was that the thermostat would cut off after a short time and just cycle on and off, even at its highest setting, which was a nuisance if you wanted it to run continuously to heat up a room from cold. I've never looked inside this heater before and didn't realise that it had a decorative red lamp fitted, as this has never worked. The bulb has obviously blown and it's a two handed job to remove it as the holder rotates in its bracket and there's not room to get two hands in there below the element. As can be seen in the last picture below, the left hand element asbestos support is broken in half. This doesn't seem to be causing any problems to its running and must have always been like it, so probably best left well alone.

I blew all that visible muck that can be seen from the bottom of the units innards with my long reach blowing wand and powered the unit up outside to let it burn off and get rid of the stink before using it inside. Later yesterday evening I adjusted the thermostat so that it just clicked on at its coolest setting - as it was before, it could be turned completely off when turned below about half setting, and it now functions as it should.

A quick google search today reveled that there's absolutely nothing written about this model of heater on the net, so here's its moment of fame!

I've had this heater for many years and the reason I kept it is that I quite like its period looks and the fact that it shares its cabinet design with a paraffin version. I have several Valor paraffin stoves, but not the version of this particular model. I'm guessing that it dates from the early 1960s - if anyone knows any different, then please let me know. I actually doubt that it will actually be needed next week, but the gas supply cut and possible cooling down of the weather next week just gave me an excuse to bring it down from the loft and mess about with it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120388.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	181008   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120389.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	181009   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120390.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	181010   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120399.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	181011   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120400.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	181012  

Old 7th Apr 2019, 7:37 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Valor type EV2 electric heater

Same steelwork as the paraffin model, you can see where the wick cleaner slotted into the lugs on the back.
I remember these, if you dropped one whilst on, the elements could short and glow white hot before they burnt out.
Old 9th Apr 2019, 1:59 pm   #3
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I have an EKCO convector heater which needed a new bulb. It has asbestos inside so I re-assembled it and put it away. On no way would I blow it out or use it where asbestos micro fibres could be emitted by convection. If anyone wants it, they are welcome.

A friend died from mesothemlioma recently.
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 10:15 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
Same steelwork as the paraffin model, you can see where the wick cleaner slotted into the lugs on the back.
I remember these, if you dropped one whilst on, the elements could short and glow white hot before they burnt out.
Yes, something else I noticed, but only when I was uploading the photos, is that you can see another embossed name beneath the model plate which looks like the 'B' and the 'M' from the word 'Birmingham' written in and arch form and visible from beneath each side of the plate, perhaps from the tooling from the paraffin model?

I think you ought to tell us more about how you know what happens when the heaters are dropped, Sam. Was it a heater belonging to you, or was it one belonging to someone else?

The heater wasn't needed in the end as the gas didn't go off until last Wednesday, and not only was it a warm day, but I was out for half of it at the auctions, when I got back the work had been done and they were ready to re-connect. They told me that they could supply electric space heaters to anyone that needed them, so the heater wouldn't have been needed, even if it had been extremely cold anyway, but a good excuse to dig it out and clean and test it.

Trevor - show us a picture of your heater, I'm sure we'd all like to see it.
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 10:28 pm   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
I think you ought to tell us more about how you know what happens when the heaters are dropped, Sam. Was it a heater belonging to you, or was it one belonging to someone else?
Wife's grandparents used one and a Flatley heater to warm their bedrooms, I think they knocked both of them over more than once.
I used to join the elements back together with choc block!
Old 1st May 2019, 8:44 pm   #6
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I have had some help unearthing my EKCO heater and supply a couple of photos as requested.
The heater was covered in rust and I rubbed it down a little and blobbed on some blue paint which I had. It has a nice bakalite plug.

You are welcome to the heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco1PK.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	182236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco2PK.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	182237  
Closed Thread