UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2019, 4:05 pm   #1
Paul’s clock!
Retired Dormant Member

Default Smith's Sectric question/part needed!

Hi, I now have my uncles old Smith Sentric 24” clock which I wired in. Power has been switched off numerous times due to working on the system. I’ve pushed the bottom knob in adjust the time and restart. The last time the knob didn’t seem to engage, and didn’t feel right. I could adjust the hands but the clock wouldn’t start. I couldn’t hear the motor humming but there was a slight vibration from the mechanism. I have stripped the clock down and found a broken piece (photo 2). I don’t really know how these clocks function but suspect the bit concerned links to a small part with teeth which engages to the motor drive spindle. The broken off piece I also believe sits between two washers (photo 3) at the top end of the hand adjusting rod. When the nob is pushed the once intact piece would engage with the (photo 4) arm that connects to restart the motor.
Am I on the right track, and is there anywhere I can pick up a replacement for the broken part? Local clock repairers have just said replace the mechanism with a quartz’s. This will only happen as a last resort!! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46843C99-CA51-4A27-A22E-5534E27F768D.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	179803   Click image for larger version

Name:	8FB6D7F7-B48B-4D7B-B07E-758F69CADD9C.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	179804   Click image for larger version

Name:	2B7E3194-EC68-4CD7-A0DD-94E91FAD3858.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	179805   Click image for larger version

Name:	9930C120-F155-4E23-85D5-FA99D3731BB7.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	179806  
Old 12th Mar 2019, 5:27 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Smith Sentric question/part needed!

Hi Paul and welcome.

You're on the right track, and you have my respect for not wanting to spoil the clock with a quartz movement.

Your best bet to find a replacement part would be to keep an eye on eBay for a salvaged movement - they often go for next to nothing.

Hope that helps,

Nick.

P.S. It's SECTRIC, not sentric.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DeLuxe Heavy Duty.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	179816  
Old 13th Mar 2019, 10:30 am   #3
Paul’s clock!
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Smith's Sectric question/part needed!

Hi Nick,
Thanks for that. I’ll start looking! With the clock down and dismantled it’s leaving a rather bare wall in the lounge so I’m trying to find (like anyyone would) a quick solution.
I couldn’t believe just good a condition the workings were. Seemed like hardly any wear.
More questions if you don’t mind? Do you know the correct name for the part? Also read all the problems that can occur with the coil. As mine vibrates I take it all is good? Any specific oil to use once the old girl is up and running?
Is there a collectors fair held anywhere for these clocks?
Thanks again
Paul
Old 13th Mar 2019, 12:42 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Paul,

The part seems to be called the "Impulse Lever" if you look at the diagram. All it does is give the "Starting Sector" a nudge, which in turns, gives the rotor a shove in the right direction. You might be able to solder/weld/glue the bits back together, or think of some kind of workaround. Somebody with basic metal working skills could probably make repair it by knocking-up a replacement bit. It's not exactly a cruicial part in terms of precision, and does not affect the timekeeping in any way.

The coil can go open circuit (i.e. develop a break in it), but they can be re-wound by skilled people - there are a couple of people on this forum who could do it for a fee. But yours sounds fine.

General purpose clock oil is what you need. Don't use other oils; clock oil is designed specifically not to creep and go everywhere. You put the smallest amount on each rotating pivot, none on the teeth of the wheels (gears/cogs). And a smear of general purpose light grease on the worm gears. It should run absolutely silently.

Nick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Impulse Lever.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	179852  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 10:26 am   #5
Paul’s clock!
Retired Dormant Member

Nick, thanks again for all your help and knowledge. I think the part is too small to join, but I going to call on a clock maker and/or jeweller to get their opinion.
I’m also happy to make the part but just need to source the metal.
Currently away from home for a couple of weeks so restoration work currently on hold. Also hoping someone might have a spare one floating around!
I’ll post an update when sorted!
Cheers
Paul
Old 13th Apr 2019, 5:19 pm   #6
Paul’s clock!
Retired Dormant Member

Nick, all sorted and working perfectly. A local jeweller was able to micro weld (which looked like a small braze) the pieces together.
Now back where it should be. Just waiting for my ‘clock repairer’ Cub badge!
Thanks for your time.
Best wishes
Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F154523C-B4BF-497B-B75E-8E50B749CA5F.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	181309  
Old 13th Apr 2019, 8:39 pm   #7
michamoo
Hexode

What a great looking old clock! You were right to not just shove battery quartz motor in that..
Old 13th Apr 2019, 8:43 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Very nice work indeed, well done from me!
Old 15th Apr 2019, 8:14 am   #9
ianm
Hexode

Great stuff!

One thing though. From seeing your most recent picture, I reckon you'll need to nudge the hour hand a few degrees anti-clockwise. The need for this will be most apparent when the minute hand is on the hour.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Closed Thread