UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2005, 10:17 pm   #1
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Default Retalker recorder from 1948

I have always been looking for old machines, this is the oldest I have. This machine was before the Sound Mirror machine built in 1949.

http://www.jabedesign.co.uk/vr/galllsoundmirror.htm

It's thought not to be for domestic use but a sort of Dictaphone. If anyone knows anything about this machine I would really appreciate it. Link below

http://www.jabedesign.co.uk/vr/gallRetalker.htm
Old 19th Jan 2005, 11:37 pm   #2
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Retalker recorder from 1948

Hi Reel to reel man !!.. Sorry I cant help re this recorder but good to see someone else who appreciates the earlier machines..I'm not sure what my oldest machine is and I am also not sure how many I have.. I've tried counting them but then keep finding another I had put somewhere safe. I havent got 300 though. Are you on any other reel recorder forum?. Good to see another contributer to the Vintage recorder page. Reelguy... I must see what my oldest recorder is?//
Old 20th Jan 2005, 8:04 am   #3
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

I am not on any other forum yet if there are more I would like to know of them.

Cheers !
Old 20th Jan 2005, 9:17 pm   #4
reelguy
Heptode

Reel to reel man.. You may like to try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/reeltoreel/ This is an American forum but has quite a few UK members and also a few Europeans. Plus of course various other countries. Topics are nearly always about reel to reel but can drift sometimes. If you ask questions about reel to reel someone usually has a view on it.. Anyway worth a try... { I usually sign myself PeterUK}for obvious reasons.. Another one you could try which has just changed its name is http://www.obsoletemedia.com/geeklog...tml//index.php Not many people on it at present as due to changing the format it isnt as easy to understand... An Australian site which may be of interest is Getreel http:www.bassboy.com.au/getreel This is of interest if you need info on some older reel to reel recorders as they sell a cd rom of info scanned from old Tape recording mags of the 60s etc, plus other foreign makes.. Check whats on the cd first though as some of it is a review or specifications and may not have the circuit you want... Hope this is of help...Reelguy
Old 20th Jan 2005, 9:58 pm   #5
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Cheers but the second link was dead. I actually know Geoff (Creator of Get reel) as I actually supplied many pictures to him and I met him in person when he was over hear a few years back, I also have a few of his CD's, the Retalker is on that site and if you check the description you will find my name.
Old 20th Jan 2005, 11:29 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

This version of the link works http://www.obsoletemedia.com/geeklog/public_html/ (it's a _ not a - )

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 21st Jan 2005, 12:51 am   #7
reelguy
Heptode

Hello again, Re Type error, yes I checked with the wife to see if I had typed it ok and she said it was an underline !!. Reel to reel man. That was interesting to hear you had met Geoff . I have thought many times of getting the cds from this site but usually find the info I need from other sources. I have a lot of the old tape recording magazines. from about 1959---1965/6 cant remember exactly. Amateur tape recording. The Tape recorder and also Tape recording magazine.. Plus the Hellyer book.Also Hi Fi news etc.. I have mentioned to people in the past who are looking for info that they may find it on his site or on his cds. Reelguy
Old 21st Jan 2005, 9:16 am   #8
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Actually meeting Geoff in February for a catch-up, his CD's are loaded with specs and circuit diagrams, well worth the money. I have posted a request earlier about my Sound Mirror recorder from 1959

http://www.jabedesign.co.uk/vr/galllsoundmirror.htm

I have not found much information, do you have anything in your catalogues, possibly a advert or two? also anything on EMI advert wise. Likewise I have a database and one of Geoff's CD's which if your looking for a diagram let me know.

Old 21st Jan 2005, 10:04 am   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hi all.

The Retalker machine is a new one to me. I have a Soundmirror here, and a couple of other very early machines in the Clifton MQ1 (black crackle finish metal case, heavily sloping deck) and Ferrograph Model D. As I recall the Soundmirror was developed and introduced by the Brush Development Company of Cleveland, Ohio, and Thermionic Products were a London-based operation who made the model under license for the UK market.

Paul
Old 21st Jan 2005, 8:08 pm   #10
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

I would love to see a pic of th Clifton MQ1, do you have one?

Quote from another site

Brush Development Company, Cleveland, OH. 1/4" mono full-track reel-to-reel recorder/reproducer. 3", 5" and 7" EIA hub reels. 7 1/2 ips only. Brush Development Co. was organized by Charles Francis Brush in 1930. The BK-401 was their first reel-to-reel tape recorder. In 1949–1950, Brush also sold tape called "Magic Ribbon" at approximately 2.50 per 1225’ (7" metal reel in both paper and plastic backing). By 1950 Brush was marketing nine models of the Sound mirror, including portable, educational and travel models.

http://lrts.stcloudstate.edu/library...ound/sound.asp

The retalker appears to be earlier and not domestic where I believe the sound mirror was the first domestic reel to reel. Something else I had which unfortunately is not trashed as an early Epsilon. This was a consul model which ran at 24 and 48 IPS, fast governed spool of 120 Feet! now does anyone know that one!

Old 22nd Jan 2005, 1:49 am   #11
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've just extracted the MQ1 from its current lodging place (under the computer desk...) for a couple of photos after a quick dusting. I've had it for about 30 years now: it used to work passably well, though the heads show substantial wear, but now needs at the very least a new rubber pinch roller. The aluminium wheel on the capstan provides as I recall the 15"/sec. speed: when not wanted it rests on the mount to the upper left and speed becomes 3.75"/second. The valves visible in the rear view (back removed) are, L to R, 5Z4G, two 6V6GT, an ECC40 and something else: the three motors are all Collaro.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clifton front 2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	97   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clfton rear 2.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	98  
Old 22nd Jan 2005, 12:07 pm   #12
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Now that looks old! do you know when it was built or thought f having restored? looks like the chrome off the head covers has rusted, I must admit its an interesting piece.

Old 23rd Jan 2005, 1:39 am   #13
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've no precise date (or any other information)... I'd think it has to be 1950 give or take a year or two, which you'd very likely concluded already. The B8A valves preclude it being any earlier than 1948, not that I'd have suspected it was even without them. There's a little superficial scratching on the head covers, but the chrome is bright: I'm still finding my way around the digital camera and must have picked up a reflection from somewhere.
Old 23rd Jan 2005, 9:09 pm   #14
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Never thought about the valves, there are two 6V6GT's and one 6SL7GT, it was powered up some years ago (With a Variac of course ) but apart from one capacitor ready to blow and the large pulley's rubber has perished, it does not make a sound. Rather than restoring it just yet I have left it.
Also I have noticed there are no belts, the belts are metal coiled wire ones used quite often in projectors, how odd

Another odd thing is the heads, normally the pinch roller moves, sometimes a tape guide or two when engaging play yet this one moves the heads and pinch roller into position

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04702.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Down.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	111  

Last edited by reel-to-reel-man; 23rd Jan 2005 at 9:21 pm.
Old 28th Jan 2005, 8:53 pm   #15
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by reel-to-reel-man
Never thought about the valves, there are two 6V6GT's and one 6SL7GT,

Can anyone tell me what age these valves may be from when they where first used to when they changed?
Old 29th Jan 2005, 2:04 am   #16
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The -GT valve types were introduced in 1946, but continued in widespread use well into the 1950s. Understandably, valves can give a definite indication of the earliest possible date of equipment, but nothing so clear as to the latest: even obsolescent types would sometimes be used, particularly by smaller manufacturers and in home-constructor designs.

Paul
Closed Thread