UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2019, 6:58 pm   #101
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Show us your drills!

Just wondering, has anyone ever used or owned a CP (Consolidated Pneumatic) Electric drill ? Years ago, I repaired & re-leaded a big old single phase one. It was owned by a farmer & was filthy, having lived in an old open-ended shed for years. My, what a superbly built drill. Better than a Wolf of a similar size, I reckon. By an amazing coincidence, my eldest lad, whilst training as a diver at Fort William a few years back, was taught to use one of their air powered drills. Even more of a coincidence - their main UK plant was based at Fraserburgh - a dozen miles away from here. They were once one of the biggest employers in the north of Scotland, with a workforce of thousands. Had their own power station & company housing street.

Regards, David
Old 28th Apr 2019, 6:05 pm   #102
avocollector
Heptode

One of the things I liked about the old wolf and Stanley metal bodied drills was the fact they could be dropped even onto concrete and would usually bounce whereas the new plastic in the early day often fractured easily. I have an old Stanley homelite drill that uses a sort of predecessor of the Jacobs chuck - there is a knurled ring and the body of the check behind it has two holes which an eighth inch twist drill fits neatly for tightening it. My main wail about Jacobs chucks is they can come undone at particularly inconvenient moments - such as recently 2m up a ladder drilling through a six inch wooden wall. To have the bit stuck then and the drill come off is really difficult.
Old 28th Apr 2019, 6:17 pm   #103
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

My late father had - in the 1960s - a UK-made "Desoutter" diecast-cased electric drill that he swore was infinitely better than the Stanley/B&D/Wolf generic consumer electric-drills then available.

He'd had close working contacts with the aviation-industry in the post-WWII decade and Desoutter tools - both electric- and compressed-air-powered - were what Supermarine, Blackburn, De Havilland, Bristol, Martin-Baker, English Electric, Gloster, Vickers, Handley-Page, Avro, Fairey, Saunders-Roe etc were all using on their production-lines for drilling, sanding, polishing, rivetting.

Desoutter still exist: https://www.desouttertools.com/about-desoutter/history
Old 1st May 2019, 3:10 pm   #104
avocollector
Heptode

I worked in a sheet metal factory one summer in the early 70's and they still used the old Desoutter drills - even still had spares for them.
Old 1st May 2019, 3:46 pm   #105
elanman99
Hexode

I am surprised that Desoutter were described as 'old' in the 70s as at that time someone I worked for was envious of the drill I carried in my toolbox (see my earlier post #11) and thought he would outdo me by buying a brand new Desoutter drill. He never admitted how disappointed he was as although the Desoutter was well engineered it was nowhere near powerful, ergonomic, or just plain usable as the my Arcoy was. The main thing I remember about it was that I thought one would need a deformed hand to operate the trigger!

Ian
Old 26th May 2019, 4:47 pm   #106
John_BS
Octode

I rescued a rusty "Oldak" high-speed drill from a skip a few years ago.

It was missing the three-speed motor pulley and the drive belt (turned out to be a "Y" section , 6.2mm wide). Also the motor would only start with some manual encouragement. https://www.vintage-radio.net/images/smilies/sad.gif

I made a new pulley from Tufnol, and by happenchance had an identical NiB Jacobs 1/4" MT chuck in my collection of useful stuff.

The drill is unusual in that the quill is fixed, and the small cast-iron table moves up and down, operated by a lever and with spring return. For some reason this arrangement gives you a greater sense of control when drilling very small holes.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010550.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	183911   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010548.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	183912  
Old 26th May 2019, 5:26 pm   #107
Radio Wrangler

Those little Oldaks are very good drills for drilling PCBs and other miniature work.

The better control is because the rotating shaft doesn't have to have a sliding quill which needs a degree of clearance (== slop) to be able to work. We had one in the lab at HP, all complete and as new.

Sometimes drills just don't cut it, and for a bit of antenna work you need to break out the oxy-propanene cutter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpXL_QaK17E

Yes, this guy is cutting away at the thing he's standing on....

Mind you his helper is risking his life smoking that cigarette. Radio work is not without its risks.

David
Old 26th May 2019, 6:06 pm   #108
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
you need to break out the oxy-propanene cutter...
David
I am wondering what "propanene" might be... I can understand propane, propene and acetylene, but it has got me guessing. The "..ane" ending is used for fully saturated hydrocarbons (no double bonds) and the "..ene" ending for unsaturated hydrocarbons with one or more double-bonds. Acetylene is a bit of an old-fashioned name and it is better referred to as ethyne, the ..yne ending signifying triple bond(s).

That clip made me feel quite wobbly and I used to do rock-climbing in my younger days!

Colin.
Old 26th May 2019, 9:35 pm   #109
Radio Wrangler

Ah, just my lousy typing. Propane. It's a lot safer than acetylene and doesn't carry the weight disadvantage of having to be stored in solution. Fine for cutting and brazing, You only really need the temperature advantage of acetylene for welding steel. I was still shaky after watching that video. I wonder if they had very long pipes and had the bottles at the base of the mast on the roof of the skyscraper or whether they'd had to cart small ones up to the top?

I thought this radio career lark was supposed to be nice, safe and no heavy lifting.

In the other video that goes with it, it's interesting to see serpentine elements spaced over reflector panels. But it all seems to have been up there beyond the old method of drilling out rusty bolts. But modern cordless drills must be great for these guys.

David
Old 27th May 2019, 9:40 am   #110
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
I was still shaky after watching that video.
Me too. I sent the video to my friend who's a rope-access man (interestingly, not a climber - years ago he needed a job, his brother got him into it, and he found he had a head for it) - and he said he wouldn't really fancy it!
Old 27th May 2019, 1:53 pm   #111
emeritus
Dekatron

The video was indeed compulsive viewing. I was about to go to bed when I read the post, but had to see it through, as well as several of the others linked to it!
Old 27th May 2019, 6:52 pm   #112
avocollector
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
Quote:
I was still shaky after watching that video.
Me too. I sent the video to my friend who's a rope-access man (interestingly, not a climber - years ago he needed a job, his brother got him into it, and he found he had a head for it) - and he said he wouldn't really fancy it!
I used to do scaffolding in my youth up to about 25 stories - what I found is I was nervous up to about 5 then it became almost so unreal you lost fear of it and got on with the job. However I did have a decent platform around me unlike those guys. My moment of truth came one day when I was 3 stories up, the scaffold had not been tied to the building and it being New Zealand - we had a minor earthquake. Nothing like being 20 feet up and swaying merrily from side to side to make you find alternative employment!!!
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 7:48 am   #113
FIXITNOW
Octode

Picked up this wolf type BW2 at Sundays boot for a couple of quid needs a new power lead but nice to add to my colection
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCP_1579.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	189320   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1580.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	189321  
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 10:08 am   #114
Herald1360
Dekatron

A quick stripdown, cleanout and fresh grease would be a good idea if you plan to give it any stick...... you can check the brushes whilst you're at it.

Fixitnow if you like.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 6:35 pm   #115
hillwalker
Triode

Default Another Black & Decker Drill

Afternoon All

I would just like to share some photos of a Black & Decker drill and if anybody could give me any more information on it. As a guess I would say it is no earlier since the rating plate on it has 13mm written on it in brackets i.e. a metric unit.

I would say the power lead is not original as it is fairly long (about 5-6 metres) and I am sure I read somewhere this should not be done with power tools, so you can be within easy reach of the plug if necessary. (I would shorten it but it's not my drill to do so with).

The end bit with the chuck has been changed once but you can see the original one in the photos.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Black & Decker Drill.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	200055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black & Decker Drill Chuck End.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	200056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black & Decker Drill Chuck End 2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	200057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black & Decker Drill Label.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	200058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black & Decker Drill Lead.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	200059  

Old 3rd Mar 2020, 4:06 pm   #116
hillwalker
Triode

Default Black & Decker Drill Thread Post Above - Now Edited

Good Afternoon,

Regarding my previous thread on the Black & Decker drill, what I meant to say was I don't think it would be earlier than the Seventies (regarding the metric measurement on the label).

I would have edited my original thread but was not able to find out how to do so.
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 10:41 pm   #117
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Another Black & Decker Drill

Style looks early 'seventies. I would recommend to your customer/colleague that it is only used with an RCD... (or even better, the plug replaced with a plug that has an integral RCD....then you have covered yourself.) They are good drills, but in the rare event of internal failure injury or death could result.

It's a handsome thing though isn't it? High power and low speed, very useful.

Dave
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 10:52 pm   #118
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've just found an advert for the drill in a 1964 magazine and another from the mid 1970's. I suspect it had a long production run. No doubt some expert will be able to date it by the colour or serial number. The lack of a kite mark or BEAB or other approvals suggests its an early example.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gd25.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	200182  
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 11:13 pm   #119
ajgriff
Nonode

The original gold paintwork suggests early sixties I think but I'm no expert, just working from memory of my father's drills.

Alan
Old 4th Mar 2020, 12:53 am   #120
McMurdo
Dekatron

Here's a receipt of one from 1965, interesting to compare the serial numbers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	receipt.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	200187