UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2018, 6:31 pm   #61
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Show us your drills!

Quote:
A Rawldrill, my Father had one. You pack the hole with a type of string
My one of those gets used for breaking tracks on Vero board
Old 17th Aug 2018, 9:26 pm   #62
Herald1360
Dekatron

I wouldn't try the converse!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Aug 2018, 10:50 pm   #63
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Wasn't the Rawldrill fibre asbestos? We used to chew it to make it ball up and stick.
Surprised that no one has a Wolf Sapphire, a brilliant 1/2" chucked drill.First plastic bodied double insulated one I had.
The thieves had mine away in the early '70s
Old 18th Aug 2018, 8:48 am   #64
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

There was a sort of fibrous putty sold for the job - Philiplug? - which I suspect was asbestos-based.
Much larger versions of the Rawldrill were used in mining, for making the holes for the charges: a two-man job, one holding and turning, the other hammering.
Old 18th Aug 2018, 9:48 am   #65
ms660
Dekatron

The old mining drills were nothing like that Rawl drill, not in hardrock mining anyways, they were splayed chisel head which helped with chip removal, basically the same as the modern ones except that the modern ones have tungsten carbide inserts.

Lawrence.
Old 18th Aug 2018, 10:24 am   #66
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
Wasn't the Rawldrill fibre asbestos? We used to chew it to make it ball up and stick.
Surprised that no one has a Wolf Sapphire, a brilliant 1/2" chucked drill.First plastic bodied double insulated one I had.
The thieves had mine away in the early '70s
I have two, a basic two speed version which was a present and is still my basic go to drill and the two speed geared version with hammer action which I happened to come across for £2.95 in a York junkshop - it`s 110 volt but I built a 110 volt trans former from a faulty unit in a Philips stabilised PSU.
Old 18th Aug 2018, 11:03 pm   #67
emeritus
Dekatron

I still have my late father's Rawldrill kit in its original tin, with size 8, 10, 12, and 14 bits and a screw/plug gauge. I think some of the Rawlplugs in the tin may be original too! I used it recently to drill some holes in a concrete lintel at my son's flat that is so hard that it previously took 2 hours and three blunted masonry drills to drill four holes for a new curtain rail. I found that by drilling as far as I could with the hammer drill, then using the Rawlldrill to hammer what was presumably some hard aggregate, and then alternating between hammer drill and Rawldrill, it only took a few minutes for each hole. Mind you, when I was house-sitting when he had a new kitchen blind fitted, the installer used a Festool cordless SDS drill that literally drilled each hole in a couple of seconds! A pity Festool tools cost around £500 each.

I saw Rawldrill clones on sale in a French Bricomarche 5 years ago years ago.

I still have some boxex of the later fibre Rawlplugs, bought at the time they were discontinued, but I don't think they can contain asbestos. I used some to fix an outdoor light for a friend and they disintegrated to mush after two winters. I re-did them with plastic plugs. The Rawldrill and Rawlplugs featured in a program on BBC Radio 4 a couple of years ago. From memory, they first came to prominence when the British Museum (I think) had electric light installed for the first time. Previously the only way to use a woodscrew in masonry was to hack out a substantial hole and bang in a block of wood. Not a a problem perhaps with brick walls that could be re-plastered, but an issue where, as in the museum, the surface was masonry. Apparently the neat hole produced by the Rawldrill and Rawlplug, and the strength of the fixing, was a surprise to the experts at the time, who couldn't believe such a small thing would be so strong.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 12:01 am   #68
AC/HL
Dekatron

The plugs were impregnated by some kind of resin by the look of them, it's the string type that contains asbestos I believe.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 2:10 am   #69
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
There was a sort of fibrous putty sold for the job - Philiplug? - which I suspect was asbestos-based.
Much larger versions of the Rawldrill were used in mining, for making the holes for the charges: a two-man job, one holding and turning, the other hammering.
That's the stuff - Philplug Screwfix- (Dad used to work for Burmah Oil Trading and it, like Halfords, was owned by them for a while.)
Old 19th Aug 2018, 8:24 pm   #70
buggies
Heptode

Rawlplastic - better images on the web than my trusty rusty old tin.
All the shelves in my small bedroom held up with asbestos and spittle. Came with a right angled metal rod with one end pointed. You rolled your plug, tamped it into the hole with the blunt end then made a stating hole with the point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rawlplastic.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	167860  
Old 19th Aug 2018, 9:46 pm   #71
mark_in_manc
Octode

Here's a picture of my drill at home. It's an Elliot progress no.1, which is heavy, old but not such a useful thing - no back gear and a JT6, not MT chuck etc. I turned it into a kind of Frankenstein milling machine with a 3-axis table I found somewhere, a variable-speed DC motor which folks on here helped to fix a while back, and a big truss and additional bearings to keep the new collet chuck from wobbling around. It now has a powered x-feed and some cheap digi-verniers for a DRO.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	general view small.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	167862   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2020006small.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	167863  
Old 20th Aug 2018, 8:49 am   #72
wd40addict
Octode

Progress no16 here

Note scissor jack to allow easy table height adjustment. Bit of a pain without this!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170712_092812.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	167866  
Old 20th Aug 2018, 4:22 pm   #73
mark_in_manc
Octode

That's a good idea. Though on the floor-standing drill at work whose table I often have to wrestle with, I'd need one BIG jack
Old 20th Aug 2018, 4:24 pm   #74
Goldie99
Heptode

You might find a lab jack better - maybe not as strong, but probably a larger jack area, and made for hand adjustment.
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 11:21 am   #75
greenstar
Octode

Another find at the car boot yesterday. Cost me 50p. The mains lead may need replacing. Amazingly, the last owner, apparently, survived to be 95. His daughter had the task of clearance, but respected him enough to sell on even the less valuable items. He was a watch repairer. Overall condition seems good. Black and Decker Model 1, 1/4 inch. I was interested to see the mains cord has a fabric covering, with rubber covered wires that are totally shot now. The B+D in the first post on this thread is a 1P, slightly different and looks later. As the origilan B+D pistol drill patent was in the 1910's, I am wondering about the history of the company - as this is model 1, would this be the first UK model?
Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1100466.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	168599   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100467.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	168600   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100468.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	168601   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100469.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	168602   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100470.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	168603  

Last edited by greenstar; 3rd Sep 2018 at 11:36 am.
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 12:38 pm   #76
Refugee
Dekatron

You have got plenty of tape bombs to defuse on that power cable.
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 2:31 pm   #77
greenstar
Octode

There is a problem with this one. Looks like the brass brush housings have springs around them, which are soldered to connect to the windings. One of those springs has broken. They seem to wrap around the brass bush, hook to themselves, and then have the wire soldered on. So I need to find a spring. I wondered about winding about of tinned copper wire into a spring shape, but doubt it would have the required springiness to stay in place. And a spring steel spring would be hard to solder to. The original has a copper/bronze colour. Any ideas appreciated - is it possible to get such springs?

One photo shows the broken spring connector, the other tries to show the good one in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1100492.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	168610   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100493.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	168612  
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 5:50 pm   #78
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Copied from a previous thread of mine.

Bought at auction this week, £15 including a whole pile of new steel twist drill bits and a screwdriver attachment.

A Wolf electric drill. The first double insulated model they made think, 2 speed gearbox, unused in its mouse nibbled box. Side handle and chuck key in the box with the instructions. The mains lead still has its wire tie on.

I remember that this was the one before the Sapphire plastic cased one. It is a 1960s model, the Sapphire was late 60s I think. Silver aluminium and red rear handle cover, early livery, later were silver and blue. The serial number 1266 would suggest 1966

Must be unused because the mains lead had never had a plug fitted! The tinned ends on the long stripped wires and the little "Live" label on the red one still there.

The aluminium case had suffered a little surface corrosion on the areas that were not painted, like where the trigger slides and the lock button. This had caused the trigger action to partly seize and prevent it turning off. Inside it is all green passivated, very nice.

A strip down and fettle the corrosion off was called for, and Lo, hiding in the rear, a Rifa ready cracked translucent capacitor!
On examination, the plastic is cracked around both leads, slight discolouration inside, just waiting to become a smoking stink bomb.
In the interests of originality, Ha! I just snipped the live wire and left it to age some more.

Reassembled it is a fine tool, masses of torque and according to the box a "virtually indestructible motor" inside. Certainly beautifully engineered.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01056.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	168630   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01057.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	168631   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01058.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	168632   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01059.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	168633   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01060.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	168634  

Last edited by Boater Sam; 3rd Sep 2018 at 5:53 pm. Reason: added
Old 4th Sep 2018, 7:39 am   #79
FIXITNOW
Octode

Chatting to my friend Paul last week he came up with this black & Decker GD25 (625 RPM 475W) drill for me to add to my collection.

Plus pics of my Rawplug kit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Black Decker GD25.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	168670   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1309.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	168671   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1310.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	168672  
Old 4th Sep 2018, 8:20 am   #80
barrymagrec
Octode

I have one of these - a low cost way into the low speed high torque area at the time (1975ish). Very handy for driving a 3 inch box sinker.
Closed Thread