UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2017, 1:26 pm   #1
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Avominor (Universal) movement/s notes

As i have not yet had to adjust the play in pivots yet, i confine myself to comments on:

1- The balance of the movement
2- The adjustment of the magnetic shunt due to ageing.

The subject of the photo is a Model 2, which is more time-consuming to service due to the extra resistor board fixed behind the movement. This meter does not have a compartment for leads due to the extra components within.

For some reason this meter tends to suffer with the tail-weight being too heavy, one can only guess as to why this is, although if you are dealing with a needle that has lost it's red 'fly speck' then this would throw it tail-heavy.

Best acronym i could find in my spares box for balancing a movement is ZITS-

Zero (internal >>) Tail, Side.

The medium used in the photo for compensating the tail-heaviness is an acrylic car touch-up pen (with a cocktail stick.) The drying time is not too short, and as the solvents evaporate the 'bead' can be added in more than one stage- add, allow to dry, check, add, allow to dry, check etc. The position of this bead is critical as it is possible to foul the Z stirrup or the rotating magnetic shunt if you place the bead any lower down. I was able to make the bead very small as it is a long way up the needle.

This meter was showing 18% deflection in the 'check' position before tail balancing and 3% afterwards, which is (almost) as good as you are going to get. This job should be a little easier with a less sensitive Model 1, but these meters do not seem to go out of balance very much anyway.

The magnetic shunt is a very fine tuning device and if you need to try for much more than 3 or 3.5% increase you are likely to foul the shunt on either the needle or on the rear resistor board. Needless to say ferrous spanner/s should not touch the magnet proper.

Even if the reference resistors are totally accurate there is an additional issue to bear in mind; this particular meter needle can be accurate at 80% FSD but lag behind slightly at, say, 30% FSD. If in doubt go for accuracy at higher readings of 70 or 80% as this is the best compromise. (in my opinion)

While you are inside an old unloved Model 2 it is very worthwhile to clean the 'Zero ohms' spindle and the bronze leaf which presses on it. You may regret it if you reassemble and neglect to do this; the ohms range won't work very well.

The arms at the extreme rear of the movement (where the hairspring attaches) may need to be gently tweaked around so that the Z peg is at the centre of it's adjustment range, with the needle sitting at a perfect 'zero'

Best of British!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00166.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	137867  

Last edited by The Philpott; 19th Feb 2017 at 1:35 pm. Reason: added
Old 19th Feb 2017, 3:21 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Avominor (Universal) movement/s notes

On both cases where i did this job on a Model 2 i replaced the wires going to the resistor pack with slightly more flexible ones, as i had problems with fatigue of the single copper cores.
Old 20th Feb 2017, 10:17 am   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

On the handful of occasions when I've had to rebalance a (full-size) Avo movement, I've used clear nail varnish. It dries pretty quickly.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 20th Feb 2017, 7:10 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

On the first 'minor i used araldite- which dried TOO quickly for comfort!

On a full size movement where virtually all the weights had corroded away i had to use copper wire on the tail- with paint to secure it. Paint alone wasn't heavy enough.
Closed Thread