UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2015, 4:19 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Service Data DVD-ROM index file - help with testing please

As discussed here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=96738 there are issues with the bookmarks in the index file on my Vintage Radio Service Data DVD-ROM not working correctly with recent versions of Adobe Reader unless some security settings are changed.

I have been working on code for creating the index file bookmarks a different way (which doesn't use Adobe JavaScript) that should work with all versions of Adobe Reader and other PDF reader programs without changing any settings.

However I do not have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed on either of my PCs (because it conflicts with an earlier version of the full program that I use) so I cannot test with that. I am therefore hoping that a few people here can help test it for me.

You will need to have the DVD-ROM contents copied onto your hard disk. Open the attached ZIP file and copy the two files in it to the same place as the existing index.pdf file. Then try both of them and see which works best for you in Adobe Reader and other PDF viewer programs. Testing on Mac and Linux etc would be useful too.

testindex1.pdf opens the PDF files using "RemoteDestination" mode. This has the advantage that they open in a new tab/window so the index file is still open.

testindex2.pdf opens the PDF files using "OpenFile" mode. This opens them in the same window/tab so the index file is closed, however it is likely to be the more universally compatible and consistent mode.

I am hoping that testindex1.pdf works fine for everyone as keeping the index file open is very useful.

Note that both test files have no content on the actual page - it's just a blank A4 page. The thing we are testing is the bookmarks on the left correctly opening the service data documents.

Once we have finished testing I will make a proper version (with updated main content) which will be available for download for existing customers and also included on new DVD-ROMs.

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: zip testindex.zip (862.1 KB, 121 views)

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 31st Jan 2015 at 4:25 pm. Reason: Added the attachment (oops!)
Old 31st Jan 2015, 4:50 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Service Data DVD-ROM index file - help with testing please

I assume that what I have (XI) isn't the latest version, either. I don't generally tend to have the latest version of anything.
Old 31st Jan 2015, 5:29 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

XI (11) is the current main version, so please test with that. If you have any PCs with 9 or X (10) in them please test with that too. The more different versions the better.

Paul Stenning
Old 31st Jan 2015, 6:57 pm   #4
dsergeant
Octode

And don't forget other PDF readers which many of us use.
Quick test with just the Ace folder from /data copied to my hard disk. PDFXChange Reader 2.5 (current latest).
Both test1 and test2 open identically, with the contents displayed in a new tab in PDFXChange which is what I would expect. But the first time I ran test2, the OpenFile mode, I got a security alert about running the pdf executable - that MAY be a real issue.
Dave
Old 31st Jan 2015, 11:44 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Using a Mac with OS X 10.10.2 and Preview.
I did not have an index.pdf file so I put the two test files in the Manuals directory along with the Data directory, presume this is the correct place.

I needed to select "Show table of Contents" to display the list of makers down the left hand side. I could navigate through the list on the left but selecting a pdf file both test files gave permission problems.

For me it is not a problem, I did not have an index file before, no idea why.

I use Spotlight to search for the file I need, if more than one it lists all of them with its parent directory and is very quick. Select the file from the spotlight list.

If I have put the index file in the wrong location, let me know the correct one and I will test again.

Frank
Old 31st Jan 2015, 11:51 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The initial page is blank rather than the introductory information in the "live" version of the index, but the limited number of links I've tried from each of testindex1 and testindex2 seem to work OK.
Old 1st Feb 2015, 2:00 am   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thanks Dave. Yes the initial page is blank (as I mentioned above) because the purpose was to test the bookmark links work - especially with newer versions of Adobe Reader with default settings. Good to know that both versions work for you.

Frank, I'll let someone who knows about OS-X comment on that as it means nothing to me. What is Preview? Do you have Adobe Reader installed?

Paul Stenning
Old 1st Feb 2015, 9:50 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

Hi Paul,

A standard part of Mac OSX, Preview is a general-purpose file viewer which, amongst other formats, handles pdf quite well. Without needing anything from Adobe I can open, edit and create pdf files.

Adobe's own reader can be installed, and you need it if you handle any DRM'd or password protected pdfs, otherwise most users don't bother.

Apples come without Flash (Steve Jobs had a thing about it and accused it of causing most crashes) but you soon find that a lot of website content is dead without it.

David
Old 1st Feb 2015, 10:31 am   #9
Nicklyons2
Octode

My ancient computer has Adobe X installed (and runs XP) - as far as I can tell both files open perfectly and behave and look the same - I can open the drop downs from the menu on the LHS in both versions. Hope that makes sense and is some help,
Nick
Old 1st Feb 2015, 11:20 am   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thank Nick, so Adobe Reader X looks to be happy too. Nice to tick them off.

It looks like it won't work in Viewer, but from the description that isn't a surprise. None of the previous DVD-ROM and CD-ROM indexes would have worked either.

Nick, without an index file or some sort of complete contents list you will be missing out on the multiple cases where a service sheet covers more than one model, as the filenames are generally just one of the models.

Paul Stenning
Old 1st Feb 2015, 11:35 am   #11
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Hi Paul,
Has David says, Preview is Apples PDF viewer etc, I have not used Adobe Reader since buying this Mac 7 years ago and never found a reason to install it.

I understand the multiple models issue but again I have found them perhaps by knowing the links between the manufacturers.

Did I put the index file in the correct directory? In the Manuals directory along with the Data directory. ( Too many years calling them directories, never got used to folders)

The Spotlight search is another Apple utility, it is similar to "locate" used in Unix systems and uses a database, very fast and is used with the file manager "Finder".

Frank
Old 1st Feb 2015, 12:24 pm   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

Both work fine in Ubuntu's Document Viewer, where the original index.pdf did not.

This is good -- a system library update broke my Adobe Reader installation, and anyway I really, really don't like using software that is distributed without the Source Code.
Old 1st Feb 2015, 1:51 pm   #13
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Yes the initial page is blank (as I mentioned above) because the purpose was to test the bookmark links work
Sorry, my mistake, I missed that bit.
Old 1st Feb 2015, 3:19 pm   #14
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Did I put the index file in the correct directory? In the Manuals directory along with the Data directory. ( Too many years calling them directories, never got used to folders)
Yes that's the correct place. If it was in the wrong place you would probably get a warning that the file wasn't found, but it seems that Viewer won't even get that far

I guess a PDF in Viewer trying to open another file is outside what Viewer is designed to do. I will assume Viewer doesn't work with the DVD index and advise accordingly as there is no way the DVD can be sensibly used without that functionality. testindex2 uses the most basic form of linking to other PDF files (dating back to Acrobat 4 or earlier), so if that doesn't work nothing will.

Apple users will need to install Adobe Reader or some other PDF viewer. I don't know whether there are OS-X versions of Foxit etc.

Really good news that it works in Ubuntu's document viewer - thank you for that information AJS. Apple need to learn from that!

Paul Stenning
Old 1st Feb 2015, 3:33 pm   #15
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Nick, without an index file or some sort of complete contents list you will be missing out on the multiple cases where a service sheet covers more than one model, as the filenames are generally just one of the models.
Looking for the datasheet "up top" is a workround for that. When you know what else to look for, it's easy.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Feb 2015, 3:41 pm   #16
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I will look into making a full cross-reference list as a separate PDF file to cover this too, as there may well be other people with the same setup and problem. It could even be part of the main index file after the introductory information.

Paul Stenning
Old 1st Feb 2015, 6:22 pm   #17
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Adobe reader is free and easy to obtain so I think expecting it to be installed on a Mac is reasonable if the extra functionality is required.

Frank
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 3:36 pm   #18
julie_m
Dekatron

But Adobe Reader doesn't come with the Source Code, which means some people might have a legitimate ethical objection to installing it.

By the way, testindex1.pdf seems to work with Okular (the KDE PDF reader, found in KDE-based Linux distributions such as OpenSUSE and Slackware) although of course it protests about the file being absent (I was trying it on a box at work). testindex2.pdf in Okular seems not to do anything when a filename is clicked.

Last edited by julie_m; 2nd Feb 2015 at 3:43 pm.
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 3:52 pm   #19
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
But Adobe Reader doesn't come with the Source Code, which means some people might have a legitimate ethical objection to installing it.
Nor does any of OS-X so that is irrelevant for Apple users.

Those who want the source code for everything would probably be using Linux anyway, and you have been kindly checking the options there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
By the way, testindex1.pdf seems to work with Okular (the KDE PDF reader, found in KDE-based Linux distributions such as OpenSUSE and Slackware) although of course it protests about the file being absent (I was trying it on a box at work). testindex2.pdf in Okular seems not to do anything when a filename is clicked.
I would expect any decent PDF viewer for Linux (whether open source or not) to work with both files as they are using technology which has been included in Adobe Acrobat since version 5 (which dates from around 2001), possibly earlier, and don't use any Javascript for which support is patchy.

If Okular doesn't work with both files (once some of the target files are present) then it should be reported as a bug. Or you could create a patch and upload it yourself since you have the source code.

Thankfully though testindex1.pdf does work as that is the preferred version.

Paul Stenning
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 4:33 pm   #20
Nuvistor
Dekatron

There is this but I doubt many are interested.
http://www.opensource.apple.com

Frank
Closed Thread