UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2014, 5:51 pm   #1
paulsherwin

Default "DVD Connection Kit" in Poundland

My local Poundland is selling 'Connect-it' brand sets of cables intended for analogue DVD connections. My guess is that these are end-of-line items being dumped through Poundland, as most people will have switched to HDMI interconnects by now. Anyway, the large plastic pack contains:

5m 2 RCA - 2 RCA stereo cable
5m SCART - 3 RCA cable with input/output switching on the SCART plug
5m 2 RCA - stereo 3.5mm jack
5m S-Video - S-Video
SCART adapter with 3 RCA and S-Video outputs, input/output switching

The quality is nothing special as you'd expect, but for a quid it's worth buying just for the cable.

I've no idea if they are on sale nationally or how long they'll stay on the shelves.
Old 27th Aug 2014, 10:39 pm   #2
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Re: "DVD Connection Kit" in Poundland

Thanks for the heads-up! Will check this weekend as the Scart with RCA and S-video are very handy and I seem to keep losing them
Old 29th Aug 2014, 4:18 pm   #3
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Thanks for the heads up. I am sure its well worth a pound and I will pick one up if I can but I got naively got caught out by a Poundland 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm plug stereo cable recently. It was in use and working fine on headphones but I then needed such a plug to bare ended cable to solder onto pcb terminations. Not having one, or the bits to solder one up, I thought it was good value to sacrifice this Poundland cable only to find it was constructed of 3 hair thin copper wires, no screening etc ! So, lesson learned by me - don't expect too much !
Old 29th Aug 2014, 4:48 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

As Paul says, cheap shops' end-of-line stuff can be excellent value. The 99p Shop, for example, often has MK wiring accessories, which, if you're willing to tolerate an unorthodox colour or finish, are a bargain.

Their normal lines are best described by "you get what you pay for" or caveat emptor.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 5:00 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Poundland have been selling off a lot of Belkin stuff over the last few months, including 15m lengths of Cat6 ethernet cable, USB cables, thick gold plated SCART cables etc. It doesn't stay on sale for long so you have to keep popping in.

Their normal cables (usually branded 'Signalex') are typical Chinese cheap cables, no better or worse than the interconnects typically bundled with consumer electronics.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 6:52 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
The 99p Shop, for example, often has MK wiring accessories, which, if you're willing to tolerate an unorthodox colour or finish, are a bargain.
Indeed: I managed to score a dozen MK 15-amp switched sockets from my local 99p shop a while back. Alas they're the kind that sits low in the back-box and has a rather nasty 'brushed aluminium' shows-no-securing-screws fascia - but for the money they're fine when being used at the end of a radial to feed a distribution-panel.
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 11:45 pm   #7
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Neither of the Liverpool City Centre Poundland had the connection kits but the one in St John's did have Belkin 5m stereo phono-phono leads. Got a couple and plenty left on the shelf
Old 4th Sep 2014, 12:24 am   #8
paulsherwin

The DVD kits had sold out in the Oxford branch yesterday. They did have the 5m phono leads you mention though, and some Belkin 1.5m male phono - female phono extension cables.
Closed Thread