UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2014, 10:02 am   #41
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: Vintage Computer & Vintage Owner Need Help with CD/DVD Drives & Media

It might be an idea to buy a brand new drive? they tend to be more reliable technology than Ide old technology drives.Your old computer might struggle to use the DVD part but it should be fine with the CD part?

they are available for around 10-15 pounds from DABs

http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung...XGJ.html?src=2

you will also need this though ..a Sata to Ide adapter.

http://www.dabs.com/products/startec...o%20ide&src=16

Plus a molex to sata power plug to power it.

(all modern drives are sata, old ones are ide connectors)

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 22nd Jun 2014 at 10:10 am.
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 10:33 am   #42
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: Vintage Computer & Vintage Owner Need Help with CD/DVD Drives & Media

Stop press

http://www.dabs.com/products/startec...o%20ide&src=16

The kit seems to include the neccessory molex power plug to sata power plug converter.. and the sata data lead, but check if your buying .
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 12:11 pm   #43
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

I've never got these types of IDE/SATA or SATA/IDE converters to work with CD/DVD drives. They usually work with hard disks though!

Michael
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 8:15 am   #44
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

There are certainly a few dodgy,fickle ones around on auction sites etc.
Dabs' own brand Startech mentioned in the quote are usually good- and they would respond to a direct question if it worked with disc drives etc.
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 9:46 am   #45
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Agreed! Startech stuff is good and they have a sales/support office in the UK.

Michael
Old 25th Jun 2014, 1:26 am   #46
WreckTangle
Tetrode

If you've reached the stage of scrapping the drive you've probably got nothing to loose by trying that firmware upgrade I suggested. A similar approach worked with my newer Sony drive that I was not far off replacing.

Usually these firmware updates are a simple Windows program that is quite easy to run and shouldn't affect anything else.
Old 25th Jun 2014, 11:26 am   #47
camtechman
Nonode

Update.

At the moment, all is well so I'm going to leave well alone, although I have the firmware upgrade on file.

Thanks to all.