UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2016, 10:32 am   #1
ms660
Dekatron

Default Replying to Post...Quotes?

Some times I see replies given with quotes from PART of a reply from previous posters, the quoted text comes up as blue, how do I go about doing this?

Lawrence.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 10:44 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Repling to Post...Quotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrive View Post
Some times I see replies given with quotes from PART of a reply from previous posters, the quoted text comes up as blue, how do I go about doing this?

Lawrence.
Press the "quote" button at the bottom right of the post you wish to quote from. Edit if necessary, but leave the text between square brackets intact.

Add you own text, press "Preview Post" and if satisfied press "Summit Reply".

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 11:00 am   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Thanks Graham, got that bit but what about quoting snippets from several replies? Eg: In a thread, poster Fred has posted a reply, poster John has posted a reply and poster Joe has posted a reply, I now want to put snippets of their posts in a single reply with a comment by me under each snippet...?

PS I can be really dumb sometimes when it comes to forum related functions.

Lawrence.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 11:25 am   #4
paulsherwin

There is a multiple quote button to the right of the 'Quote' button. Click this on all the posts from which you want to quote. You'll soon get the idea if you try it out.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 12:17 pm   #5
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Replying to Post...Quotes?

Thanks for that Paul, I wasn't aware of the multiple quote button and used to resort to copy and paste into Word to deal with multiple quotes.

However, I sometimes use one or more quotes from other threads and it looks like the above method will have to be used in those circumstances.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 12:50 pm   #6
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
There is a multiple quote button to the right of the 'Quote' button. Click this on all the posts from which you want to quote. You'll soon get the idea if you try it out.
Still doesn't compute with me, I logged on a few minutes ago and clicked on this thread, I then clicked the multiple quotes button for all the replies so far, nothing happens, the bottom of the page just shows a blank quick reply box..?

Lawrence.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 12:54 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Quote:
Still doesn't compute with me, I logged on a few minutes ago and clicked on this thread, I then clicked the multiple quotes button for all the replies so far, nothing happens, the bottom of the page just shows a blank quick reply box..?

Lawrence.
The same thing happens when I click on the 'Quote' button, as did a few seconds ago!
Old 20th Nov 2016, 1:07 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

This sticky goes into it an more depth, with some examples of members' questions. An interesting and powerful aid to clear and concise posting: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=15093
Old 20th Nov 2016, 1:07 pm   #9
paulsherwin

You need to click on the ordinary 'Quote' button for the last quoted post. Otherwise the software doesn't know that you haven't finished selecting posts.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 1:08 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Here is an example:

Quote:
Quote:

Lawrence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Lawrence.
The same thing happens when I click on the 'Quote' button, as did a few seconds ago!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
This sticky goes into it an more depth, with some examples of members' questions. An interesting and powerful aid to clear and concise posting: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=15093
Old 20th Nov 2016, 1:09 pm   #11
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I wasn't aware of the multiple quote function either.
It appears you have to click on the 'multiple' button for each desired quote, then the quote button on any one of these for the quotes to appear.

Edit - crossed!
Old 20th Nov 2016, 1:41 pm   #12
ms660
Dekatron

Ok... I logged off then logged on again, clicked on this thread, clicked on the quote button in post#11 hoping to see just that posts message quoted...No deal...What came up is shown below, I'm sure it never used to do this?

Lawrence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:

Lawrence.
Press the "quote" button at the bottom right of the post you wish to quote from. Edit if necessary, but leave the text between square brackets intact.

Add you own text, press "Preview Post" and if satisfied press "Summit Reply".
Quote:
Thanks Graham, got that bit but what about quoting snippets from several replies? Eg: In a thread, poster Fred has posted a reply, poster John has posted a reply and poster Joe has posted a reply, I now want to put snippets of their posts in a single reply with a comment by me under each snippet...?

PS I can be really dumb sometimes when it comes to forum related functions.

Lawrence.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
I wasn't aware of the multiple quote function either.
It appears you have to click on the 'multiple' button for each desired quote, then the quote button on any one of these for the quotes to appear.

Edit - crossed!
Old 20th Nov 2016, 1:47 pm   #13
paulsherwin

It is because you have selected multiple posts to quote. The button turns red when a post is selected. Logging out and back in again won't clear this.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 1:53 pm   #14
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
It is because you have selected multiple posts to quote. The button turns red when a post is selected. Logging out and back in again won't clear this.
It's strange now, not logged off, I clicked on quote in your last post and as you can see above yours is the only post quoted, all the others don't now appear and I don't think I've altered anything since my last post, so what's made them not appear in this post?

Lawrence.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 2:10 pm   #15
Station X

Taking an action, which actually takes place, on selected posts clears all the tick boxes.

I say " actually takes place", because if an action is refused the post remains ticked and selected.

For example if as a mod I try to approve a post which is already approved, the action will be rejected, but the post will remain ticked. I have to make sure to untick it, otherwise if I delete another post both posts will be deleted.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 2:15 pm   #16
ms660
Dekatron

Just testing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
Thanks for that Paul
The above should be an edited quote from post#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
This sticky goes into it an more depth
Ditto from post#8

Quote:
You need to click on the ordinary
Ditto from post#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
Edit - crossed!
Ditto from post#11

Quote:
The button turns red
Ditto from post#13

Method....Logged on, opened thread, clicked the multiple quote icon in each post I wanted to quote, clicked on the quote button in the last post I wanted to quote, all quotes then showed up in the reply box, edited all quotes to suit and added my own comments, this was explained to me before in various posts, confusion reigned, hopefully this post will display as I intended.

Lawrence.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 3:10 pm   #17
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Incidentally, if you wish to exclude a post from the multiple quote, having already clicked on its multiple quote button, it can be unselected by clicking the button again.
Old 20th Nov 2016, 3:14 pm   #18
ms660
Dekatron

Many thanks to all.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread