UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2016, 3:05 pm   #1
Stuart R
Heptode

Default Vidor Henley Control Knobs

Hello!

I really need to get a Vidor Henley battery/mains portable set back to its rightful owner. Spent a few evenings recapping and then realised this is the first project that really does need a set of new valves. The lowered heater chain resistor being the clue that someone had already been inside...

Only with NOS valves (thanks NVCF!) did the re-capped set spring into life and although not sounding as mellow, matches a DAC90A on the windowsill for station-getting.

Anyway, today's question:

The control knobs are hollow and look to be moulded. They are quite fragile and cracks in the top are evident - indeed on one of them it is possible to push-out a D-shape of top section when fitting back onto the shaft.

I thought of filling the inside of the knob with Milliput, not only would it hold things together I hoped it would add some support within the moulding - I could force the mix into all the corners, but once in there it will probably never come out without trashing the knob.

I then wondered if hot glue would be better. It will flow into the hollow quite nicely and can usually be picked-out afterwards if things go wrong. However, I'm not sure if these moulded knobs would start melting when the hot glue made contact. I have no idea of the temperatures used in 1950's plastics moulding.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the best way forward? I'm thinking that a repair from the inside is best, as my experience with gluing edges means a lot of clean-up and sanding which will mark the top of these rather unique knobs.

Regards,

SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vidor Knobs.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	127944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9614.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	127945  
Old 29th Jul 2016, 5:53 pm   #2
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Default Re: Vidor Henley Control Knobs

Hi Stuart

I also have a Henley but haven't got around to testing or restoring it yet. I have used this plastic epoxy on loads of knobs etc and I find it pretty good. Link here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck with the repair

Graham
Old 29th Jul 2016, 9:39 pm   #3
Stuart R
Heptode

Default Re: Vidor Henley Control Knobs

Thanks Graham, that might be worth looking into. The Unibond instructions say that excess can be wiped off with meths or white vinegar whilst the glue is setting. That might help get a cleaner result.

I might write a short success story later if that'll be of any interest.

Regards,

SR
Closed Thread