UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2019, 4:11 am   #1
Francis
Triode

Default Does anyone have an 'internal' wiring diagram for this Xpelair extractor fan?

Hello,

Does anyone have an internal wiring diagram, or could someone maybe tell where the wires connect to? The Xpelair fan is a DX200T model from 1984. The motor wires are brown and blue. Directly opposite the front of the cord grip there are three embossed letters that read N L T.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	183584   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	183585   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	183586   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	183587   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	183588  

Old 22nd May 2019, 5:08 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Does anyone have an 'internal' wiring diagram for this Xpelair extractor fan?

My guess (and it is only a guess!):

L = Mains live input
N = Mains neutral input
T = Trigger. Connect to live to start the timer/fan. This is done either by connecting T to the switched live wire to the bathroom light (so that the fan starts when you turn the light on) or by connecting a microswitch on the bathroom door between T and L

The fan motor probably connects between F (= Fan) and N. But it might be F and L, it depend on how the relay (that blue box on the circuit board) is connected.
Old 22nd May 2019, 6:22 am   #3
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Re: Does anyone have an 'internal' wiring diagram for this Xpelair extractor fan?

Googled 'Xpelair DX200T' and it came up with this .pdf , 5 down on page 3, circuit from the file attached.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	circuit.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	183590  
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:59 am   #4
Lancs Lad
Heptode

My guess is that 'T' stands for Timer.

I would connect a permanent live to it, so that the fan can run on for a preset period after the bathroom light has been switched off.

The other two are just the switched live and the neutral.

This IS only my guess! Obviously, play safe and follow the instructions.

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 22nd May 2019 at 11:16 am.
Old 22nd May 2019, 7:04 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

We can infer from the position of the relay that L and F most probably are connected to it; remember these are heavy-current traces, probably 2mm. wide and with 2mm. spacing, so they won't be going all round the houses.

If the data sheet linked upthread is right, T will be the switched live from the light switch, L will be a steady live and F will be the switched live to the fan.

It's probably using an electrolytic capacitor which charges from T and discharges via the pot for the timing; the voltage will be fed to the base of a Darlington pair (so most of the stored energy goes via the discharge resistor, as opposed to the base) switching the relay. At any rate, it should not require massive effort to reverse-engineer. If you take a photo of the solder side, flip it and print it, you can draw the components on it as though it were an "X-ray view" of the copper traces. Then it will be easy enough to draw out the schematic.
Old 22nd May 2019, 7:48 pm   #6
duncanlowe
Nonode

We have a modern fan (in fact two as I have a filed one to repair) and the connections are as described by others. L and N permanetly connected. The other terminal is connected to the switched side of the bathroom light. The fan stays on so long as the light is on, and then stays on after switch of for a time determined by adjustment of a pot. In this case, though, a microcontroller is involved. In my case the terminals are L N and LS.
Old 22nd May 2019, 8:11 pm   #7
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
My guess (and it is only a guess!):

L = Mains live input
N = Mains neutral input
T = Trigger. Connect to live to start the timer/fan.
Yes. I used to have one.

If you don't have a permanent live at the fan location, link L and T and wire to switched live, N to neutral.
Old 22nd May 2019, 8:42 pm   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi, fan is supplied from a permanent live supply, sometimes through a cord switch to allow switching off. It also has a feed from the live of the light. This feeds through at typically 100K resistor (often burns out) and keeps the fan on while the light is on. At switch off the fan runs on for X mins on its timer and permanent supply.

Ed
Old 20th Jun 2019, 4:09 am   #9
Francis
Triode

Hello, everyone,

Thank you for your great answers and I apologise for my time in replying.

I managed to get it working and it works very well. I will show you how it's wired with the help of some photos. The wiring is explained in text, if you can't see the photos properly.

The wiring up of the fan in the photos is only a test, of course.

The wiring:

The black wire from the mains lead, the blue wire from the motor and the blue wire from the board all connect to one side of a white connector.

The red wire from the mains lead and the red wire from the board fit into one side of the switch.

The white wire form the board fits into the other side of the switch.

The brown wire from the motor fits into the connector on the board marked ''F''.

Thank you all again.

Francis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 of 5.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	185408   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 of 5.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	185409   Click image for larger version