UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2019, 10:56 am   #41
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Hum in 1950s Truetone Record Player

Does this help?
Miniature 7-pin base
The B7G (or "small-button" or "heptal") seven-pin miniature tubes are smaller than Noval, with seven pins arranged at 45-degree spacing in a 9.53 mm (3/8th inch) diameter arc, the "missing" pin position being used to position the tube in its socket (unlike octal, loctal and rimlock sockets). Examples include the 6AQ5/EL90 and 6BE6/EK90.
Old 5th May 2019, 4:46 pm   #42
bennie8
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
One caveat, Sam-the terms B7G, B9A, etc., may not be in common use in the States-9pin valves & sockets there are called 'noval', IIRC, but I don't know what term is used to describe the 7-pin ones.
Thanks again Boater Sam and Livewire. I ordered 7 pin ceramic sockets from an eBay seller yesterday.
Old 5th May 2019, 8:37 pm   #43
bennie8
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Have you checked the resistance values given in the table on the schematic?

You do this with the player unplugged from the mains and with the valves fitted. Volume control at minimum. For pins 1 to 5 of each valve you connect one meter lead to the chassis and the other lead to each valve pin in turn. For pins 6 and 7 of each valve, one meter lead goes to the cathode of the rectifier M1 (connected to the red tag of the electrolytic capacitor can C1) and the other lead to the valve pin.

With the player still unplugged, can you measure the resistance between the 'outside' 2 tags of each section of the volume control.
Hello Tony,
These resistance numbers still don't look right. The values I get for the volume pots are correct, 1 meg ohm. The values I get for both valves pins 6 and 7 match what the chart indicates they should be, meter lead to the rectifier diode cathode other lead to valve pin.

However the resistance readings for pins 1 through 5 of both valves are all in the 12 to 13 M ohm range, one meter lead clipped to the chassis and the other lead on the valve pins.

What am I missing?
Old 5th May 2019, 8:41 pm   #44
ms660
Dekatron

Chassis is not B-, measure with reference to B- (HT -ve) There should be no resistance reading between chassis and B-, if there is suspect the isolating capacitor C4 or some other leakage path.

Lawrence.
Old 5th May 2019, 9:00 pm   #45
bennie8
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for the input but I do not know where the meter lead goes. Can you give me a specific circuit location for the meter lead?

Thank you.
Old 6th May 2019, 11:05 am   #46
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie8 View Post
Thank you for the input but I do not know where the meter lead goes. Can you give me a specific circuit location for the meter lead?
You can connect the meter lead to any circuit point that shows the B- sign in the schematic, eg: The -ve connection of C1.

Don't forget when working on your record player with power applied that your record player is a live -ve rail design and that only one side of the mains supply is switched....

....which means that one side of the mains is connected directly to the HT's -ve rail (B-) when the record player is switched on and that the other side of the mains is connected to that same rail via the valves (tubes) heater circuit when the record player is switched off.....

The phono input ground is connected to the chassis, the B- rail is connected to the chassis for signal and safety isolation purposes via the isolating capacitor C4.

Lawrence.
Old 6th May 2019, 12:42 pm   #47
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post

....which means that one side of the mains is connected directly to the HT's -ve rail (B-) when the record player is switched on and that the other side of the mains is connected to that same rail via the valves (tubes) heater circuit when the record player is switched off.....
My apologies, please read as:

....which means that one side of the mains is connected directly to the HT's -ve rail (B-) when the record player is switched on and that the other side of the mains is connected to that same rail via the valves (tubes) heater circuit, motor and rectifier circuits etc. when the record player is switched off.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 6th May 2019 at 12:57 pm. Reason: red text
Old 6th May 2019, 11:31 pm   #48
bennie8
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for the help. I cut the original plug from the cord and installed a polarized two prong plug. Glad you clarified that for me. Attached is a chart comparing the manufactures original resistance values and my measured values. I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on it except that it looks like the manufactures values for pin 4 of V1 and V2 are reversed, typo?
Attached Files
File Type: docx resistance readings.docx (14.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by bennie8; 6th May 2019 at 11:38 pm. Reason: Include resistance table
Old 7th May 2019, 5:16 am   #49
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I wouldn't worry about the pin 3 and pin 4 differences, looks like the valve heaters (which are in series), are wired in the other order.

The differences on pin 2 can be explained by the circuit diagram showing 4700 ohm grid resistors and you having 47000 ohm ones fitted.

I am a little concerned by pin 1 (cathode). Is R6 (82 Ohm) correct?
Old 7th May 2019, 3:55 pm   #50
bennie8
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I wouldn't worry about the pin 3 and pin 4 differences, looks like the valve heaters (which are in series), are wired in the other order.

The differences on pin 2 can be explained by the circuit diagram showing 4700 ohm grid resistors and you having 47000 ohm ones fitted.

I am a little concerned by pin 1 (cathode). Is R6 (82 Ohm) correct?
Tony, I am not sure of your question. On pin one of both valves the manufactures resistance value is 82 ohm. I measured 185 ohm and 190 ohm respectfully. I just measured the resistance of R6 again and it reads 194 ohm.

Bernie
Old 7th May 2019, 4:07 pm   #51
Station X

What's the colour coding of R6?

82R should be Grey, Red, Black.

EDIT. Has the cathode voltage which should be around 4.5VDC ever been measured?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th May 2019, 8:43 pm   #52
bennie8
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
What's the colour coding of R6?

82R should be Grey, Red, Black.

EDIT. Has the cathode voltage which should be around 4.5VDC ever been measured?
I believe the color bands are yellow-black-red and silver or yellow-black orange and silver. Picture of R6 is attached.

Don't recall that cathode voltage has been read. Is that the heater voltage, valve pins 3 and 4?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190507_142910.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	182658  
Old 7th May 2019, 9:35 pm   #53
Station X

Very difficult to tell, but maybe originally it was Grey, Red, Black? Measure the resistance directly across it.

If you're looking at the correct resistor it will be connected to pin 1 of both valveholders.

The easiest way to measure the cathode voltage is to connect your meter on volts range across R6.

Old 7th May 2019, 10:22 pm   #54
bennie8
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Very difficult to tell, but maybe originally it was Grey, Red, Black? Measure the resistance directly across it.

If you're looking at the correct resistor it will be connected to pin 1 of both valveholders.

The easiest way to measure the cathode voltage is to connect your meter on volts range across R6.
I measured directly across R6 and the resistance is 194 ohm, the voltage drop across R6 is 6.22 volts DC. And indeed R6 is connected to pin one of both valve mounts.

Thanks again.

Bernie
Old 7th May 2019, 10:36 pm   #55
Station X

I'd say that R6 has overheated at some point and changed value. I'd replace it.

It probably won't do anything for the hum problem though.

Closed Thread