UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2019, 1:20 pm   #1
W3SNG83
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette Head Repair - Help

Good afternoon folks,

I recently bought a 1950s (I think) Dansette Garrard record player for my own use. I was told it was working when I bought it but after changing the stylus I have found that the wires going go the stylus head are all out of location.

I can't find the arrangement on how they go into the head again and if it is easy enough to do.

I have attached a couple of pictures as well of the issue.

Many thanks,

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190505_131529.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	182501   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190505_131511.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	182502  
Old 6th May 2019, 9:21 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Head Repair - Help

Your Dansette is one of the later 1960's models with a Garrard 3000 autochanger and a Sonotone 9TA stereo ceramic cartridge - a very good combination. The 4 wires should be colours of red, blue, green and white. If you google "Sonotone 9TA HC cartridge wiring" you will be able to locate the wires to their respective connectors on the connecting plug which MUST be removed from the cartridge body first. You will need a small tipped soldering iron and good soldering skills - it's a bit fiddly.
Old 6th May 2019, 10:36 am   #3
Station X

Edward.

As I've suggested to you before it would be useful if you provided links in your posts.

Here's the thread I think you're referring to:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=16555

I suspect the OP would like to know the wire colours too.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 6th May 2019, 3:52 pm   #4
crackle
Rest in Peace

If what you have there is a Sonotone 9TA cartridge then it is very likely it will be no good any way, because they tend to suffer from the fine rubber "yoke" that the stylus cantilever arm rests on going stiff crumbling and breaking up.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	182566

I have fond that on 3 out of 4 replacements the same had happened. So in my view if it has already happened to your cartridge there is little point trying to rewire the existing, or any identical replacement 9TA, cartridges but try and fit a suitable alternative.

Mike
Closed Thread