UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2019, 8:35 pm   #1
Lacan07
Triode

Default Puzzling issue with Quad II valve amplifier?

Hi all

I seem to have a puzzling problem with my home audio set up which, through a process of elimination, I think I can attribute to one of my vintage Quad II amplifiers. Both amplifiers were recently acquired and restored by myself.

When I first noticed the issue some weeks back it occurred quite infrequently but has steadily become more prominent. At first I thought it may have been an issue with my preamp. Now it occurs usually after 10 - 20 minutes of playing music (before it occurred after 2 -3 hours) - everything is fine and then suddenly the level of gain / volume on one of the speakers rises (sometimes accompanied by a soft pop like a build up of energy) and the soundstage disappears, or more accurately, veers to the side of this speaker due to the extra gain. Switching the amp off for a while sometimes seems to reset it.

Can any experts out there offer an explanation? I'm curious to know what might be causing this. I've checked the valves by swapping out with the other Quad and they seem pretty solid. All the resistors and capacitors were updated by me 2 or 3 months back with the exception of C4 and C6. Next I'll focus on the solder joints, I hope it may be a dodgy connection or bad component. Just my luck it'll be a problem with the transformer

Cheers L7
Old 2nd May 2019, 8:47 pm   #2
rontech
Heptode

Default Re: Puzzling issue with Quad II valve amplifier?

Years ago I had problems with dry solder joints on Quad II valve amps causing strange behaviour
Old 2nd May 2019, 8:57 pm   #3
Lacan07
Triode

What kind of problems rontech?

My amps are early 60's I think, so all the joints look dry lol. I was thinking maybe I should renew the joints associated with the output valves.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:10 pm   #4
audiomm
Pentode

Dry joint on R10 and R11 (feedback) would cause volume to rise significantly. But check & double check all joints seeing as you have replaced all the components on the circuit board. Mike.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:15 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

I would concur with Mike that the problem is likely to be in the feedback circuit. I think its highly unlikely that the transformer is faulty.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:28 pm   #6
Lacan07
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomm View Post
Dry joint on R10 and R11 (feedback) would cause volume to rise significantly. But check & double check all joints seeing as you have replaced all the components on the circuit board. Mike.
Thanks Mike, I'm on it
Old 3rd May 2019, 6:08 am   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Does sound like a dry joint but it also sounds like one amp OP going out 180 deg out of phase possibly, odd. If a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything try poking it with a stick, a non conductive one obviously.

Andy.
Old 5th May 2019, 8:01 am   #8
Lacan07
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomm View Post
Without wanting to tempt fate this seems to have solved the issue, so big thanks again to Mike
Closed Thread